Gransnet forums

Food

Decaffeinated tea

(40 Posts)
Culag Wed 09-Jan-19 13:46:16

I’ve been advised to cut down on caffeine as it could be affecting my vocal chords. I only drink one cup of coffee per day but drink loads of tea. I’ve tried decaffeinated but it tastes foul! Can anyone recommend a good make please?

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 13:49:47

Hi Culag. Couple of quick queries. I just wondered what the problem is with your vocal cords? Who advised you?

Esspee Wed 09-Jan-19 14:04:41

I drink de caffeinated tea from Lidl. Everyone who has a cuppa with me says what a great cup of tea I make. Sometimes I tell them, mostly I don't.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Jan-19 14:13:14

PG tips de-caffeinated here.

SueSocks Wed 09-Jan-19 14:18:14

Yorkshire decaffeinated in the evenings and normal Yorkshire during the day.

BlueBelle Wed 09-Jan-19 14:26:02

I can’t taste any difference between ordinary or decaf tea Ive never tasted any decaf that ‘tastes foul’

IreneAdler Wed 09-Jan-19 15:35:54

I love tea and drink lots, but the caffeine plays merry havoc with my sleeping so I have to avoid it.

There are two methods of decaffeinating tea and coffee.

Most decaffeinated tea has been done using a chemical process, and there are debates about whether the chemicals used might have a harmful effect.

There is an alternative process that isn’t chemical based and Clipper brand tea uses that process.

Both methods of decaffeination leaves some caffeine in the tea, it is not completely caffeine free.

I have felt very ill after drinking chemically decaffeinated tea and coffee. The Clipper decaffeinated Tea was OK but it still affected my sleep so I think there was a fair bit of caffeine still in it. Also Clipper use unbleached tea bags and apparently there is a potential health issue with unbleached bags.

I recommend switching to redbush tea. technically it’s a herbal tea rather than true tea. It’s made from a plant (rooibos) that only grows in a certain area in South Africa and was originally drunk there as a tea substitute. There is zero caffeine in it in thefirst place so no decaffeination needs to take place. You can drink it with milk and it looks just like normal tea. It tastes the same as normal black tea to me, bearing in mind that there are loads of different varieties of black teas in fact I love the taste. There are at least three brands of redbush tea sold in Uk including cooperative own brand and tetleys. Go for it - i’ve Not regretted it and my sleep is better.

Grannybags Wed 09-Jan-19 15:47:01

I love redbush tea. I buy Tick Tock. A friend gave me a cup to try and I drink it all the time now. Only have "real" tea for breakfast as I miss my cuppa then!

IreneAdler Wed 09-Jan-19 15:54:06

Tick-Tock was the third brand of redbush teas I was thinking of, along with Tetleys redbush and cooperative fair trade redbush. I think I preferred the Tetleys and cooperative to the Tick-Tock. I’m so glad I discovered redbush as any caffeine at all affects my sleep but I love drinking tea.

MiniMoon Wed 09-Jan-19 17:17:22

I'm a fan of Rooibos tea too. I first tried it after reading The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. I drink fruit teas after 4pm., as caffeine disrupts my sleep too.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Jan-19 17:24:35

I can't tell much difference between 'ordinary' and decaffeinated tea, although perhaps PG Tips decaff is slightly less strong than the normal one.

It depends what you want from tea - strong, weak, fragrant? If you like it fairly strong then I think PG Tips and Yorkshire decaffeinated are both good.

I drank TickTock Redbush tea for years then went off it suddenly and don't drink it at all now. However, it is worth a try.

dragonfly46 Wed 09-Jan-19 17:34:14

I love Green tea especially the green tea with orange and lotus blossom.

Culag Wed 09-Jan-19 17:38:59

Thank you all for your responses.
Izabella I have silent reflux caused by a hiatus hernia and it sometimes makes me croaky. An NHS professional suggested that too much caffeine wouldn’t help either.

I’d forgotten about rooibos tea! I used to drink it when I worked with a South African, so I shall get some and maybe some Yorkshire to try as well.

Kittye Wed 09-Jan-19 18:04:33

I buy twinings decaff. I’m not keen on the taste of other decaff teas. Sadly decaff tea is not as nice as ordinary tea but I drink it for health reasons. I tried the rooibos tea but it’s not to my liking.

Day6 Wed 09-Jan-19 18:25:02

I have dreadful sleep problems too and try to drink only weak tea in the evenings. I do love my tea.

Must admit I don't like decaff and I have tried so many makes. They have a distinct nasty taste imo. I am not much of a coffee drinker so tea alone is my caffeine rush. I don't eat much chocolate and I don't like caffeinated cold drinks so if caffeine is responsible for my lack of sleep (I just cannot drop off) tea is to blame. I may give Redbush a try. And I'll buy Lidl's decaff too as that's one I haven't tried.

BradfordLass72 Wed 09-Jan-19 18:31:34

Culag I have exactly the same problem, in fact my vocal chords were so ruined (cause unknown at that time) that I've been unable to sing, one of my great loves, for years now.
My doctor gave me Omeprazole, which controls reflux, or so I'm told.

I drink Freshpak Rooibos tea and although I've tried de-caf teas, I don't much like them.
I moved to decaf drinks when I discovered that caffeine (along with wheat and eggs) depleted the body's iron stocks and mine were already too low.

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 19:12:51

Ah Culag that makes sense.

I have the same diagnosis plus free flowing bile. I have never reduced my tea input. I don't drink much coffee so cannot comment on that. Interestingly since I went low carbing for T2 diabetes (now in remission) my reflux has virtually stopped. Over Christmas I ate one or two things I should not and back it came (bread, pastry etc.) Worth considering perhaps?

Culag Wed 09-Jan-19 19:37:40

Alcohol is not very good for me either .... said she having just finished her second glass of? .

Nandalot Wed 09-Jan-19 20:15:22

If you are thinking of cutting out caffeine do it gradually. My DH cut it out completely all at once and now gets a migraine if he has anything with caffeine in it.

emmasnan Wed 09-Jan-19 21:10:06

I quite like Yorkshire and M&S decaffeinated. Have given them to other tea drinkers and they haven't mentioned them tasting different.

Auntieflo Thu 10-Jan-19 08:52:13

I like Waitrose original bend decaffeinated round tea bags . I bought them for when DIL visits, but tried them and didn’t notice any difference in taste.
The tea we drink mostly is Earl Grey, weak and black.

Greyduster Thu 10-Jan-19 09:03:25

I don’t drink any tea but Tick Tock red bush tea, which has no caffeine.

JoyBloggs Thu 10-Jan-19 09:10:11

Another vote for Waitrose own brand. I can't tell the difference between that and 'normal' tea... but you do need to give the teabag plenty of time 'soaking'.

Humbertbear Thu 10-Jan-19 09:10:43

You might find that giving up tea altogether is a better solution. I drink mainly camomile and spearmint with the occasional fruit tea. There are lots to choose from. Camomile is my first choice because it isn’t sweet.

Telly Thu 10-Jan-19 12:22:22

Tetley Decaf has a Great Taste Award and to be honest I dont think you can tell the difference. Although I usually have Darjeeling as we only have black tea with lemon.