Gransnet forums

Food

fried fish

(26 Posts)
Fennel Wed 09-Jan-19 19:30:51

Do you fry fish? and if so, how?
I make a batter with 2 tbsp. flour, an egg, s&p and some water.
I would like other ideas for making the batter.

Bathsheba Wed 09-Jan-19 19:40:43

I don’t fry fish these days, but when I did, several years ago, I always left the batter to stand for half an hour and then added a teaspoon of bicarb just before using it. This seemed to make it crisper.

JackyB Wed 09-Jan-19 19:42:21

I only ever poach fish. If frying, I would probably just coat it thinly with flour.

tanith Wed 09-Jan-19 19:47:44

I don’t fry fish anymore but used to use a beer batter it’s makes it wonderfully light and crispy.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Jan-19 20:05:16

I just coat the fish in seasoned flour & then fry in a mix of olive oil and butter.

As an aside, I tried a new recipe tonight for pistachio-crusted salmon, baked in the oven. Yummy!

Cold Wed 09-Jan-19 20:28:27

We do fry fish sometimes

White fish such as cod or plaice we dust with seasoned flour, role in beaten egg and then roll in breadcrumbs - then we fry gently in a small amount of butter or oil - or spray with oil and oven bake.

With oily fish such as salmon we fry in a pan that has been sprayed with oil - you need very little and then fry direct on both sides without coatings until it is crispy

Anja Thu 10-Jan-19 08:06:05

I used to find the frozen battered or breadcrumbed frozen fish eg Birds Eye convenient for a quick, tasty meal occasionally until I realised they all contained palm oil (why?). I now find it better to buy raw fish and make my own.

Shallow fry and only takes a few minutes. Cheaper than using the oven and know exactly what ingredients I’ve used.

Teetime Thu 10-Jan-19 09:00:39

I only fry fish in a little olive oil no batter, no flour

M0nica Thu 10-Jan-19 09:07:05

As far as I am concerned, fish in batter only comes from the fish and chip shop - and not often from there.

I mainly eat fish within a recipe, so rarely if ever fry it. Salmon and leek parcels for lunch today.

By the way, if your chip shop chips come in an oversized portion, do not throw the excess chips away. Freeze them and when needed spread them over a baking tray, put in the oven until golden and crisp, turning now and again. They are even better second time around. That is why many restaurants offer twice cooked chips.

Humbertbear Thu 10-Jan-19 09:08:35

Matzoh meal (available in the kosher section of supermarkets) is nicer than batter or breadcrumbs

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Jan-19 09:11:19

Now that’s a good tip, M0nica, thanks! We often go to the fish shop on Saturday, get two fish and one small portion of chips between us, and still find we throw half the chips away. sad I’ll try that.

Fennel Thu 10-Jan-19 09:48:40

I've got some matza meal, HBear and do sometimes use it. Egg first then matza.
We hardly ever have fried food, but I think fish needs to be cooked short and quick. The main problem is the smell - I open the back door.
I sometimes fry salmon fillets - an hour before frying sprinkle with lemon juice, soy sauce and a little brown sugar. Fry quickly.
I use sunflower oil, find olive oil makes the fish soggy.

Missfoodlove Thu 10-Jan-19 10:14:51

As a Hull girl I know my fish!
Fresh flaky haddock fried at home with tartare sauce and lemon..... gorgeous!
Make the batter with SR flour and sparkling water add salt and pepper and leave to stand. I use sunflower oil.

Gagagran Thu 10-Jan-19 11:15:09

I like sea bass dipped in seasoned flour and pan fried in a mix of olive oil and butter. Takes a few minutes only on each side.

For salmon portions, I spray on a little olive oil and sprinkle over a crushed vegetable oxo cube then oven bake. Makes a tasty topping.

I poach smoked haddock in a litle milk then cook a poached egg in the milk and serve on top of the fish with a dab of butter and some pepper.

We like fish!

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:25:22

Fish is SO expensive here that I rarely buy it but on the odd occasion I do, poach it in milk which I then make into a parsley sauce.

My son uses a tempura batter on the rare occasion he fries things. That's very light and crispy.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 20:47:12

I don't fry fish. I wrap it in foil with butter and herbs,etc and bake it.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 20:49:20

Fresh fish shouldn't smell btw !

paddyann Tue 15-Jan-19 22:49:59

I bread my fish for frying and deep fry it.Only haddock or Sole gougons and serve with home made tartare sauce with chunky gherkins and capers and lots of lemon juice .
Might make that for tomorrows dinner ..I have my son and partner staying for the week so nice twice cooked thin chips made from Cyprus potatoes to go with it

Anja Tue 15-Jan-19 22:54:18

It only takes a few minutes to fry fish. Baking in the oven might seem a healthier option for some, but it uses more electricity by far.

Anja Tue 15-Jan-19 22:55:00

Made a lovely kedgeree last week ??

Nanagem Wed 16-Jan-19 08:35:50

I tend to steam salmon, or just gently fry floured white fish.
If I wanted to batter, I would use 1 tablespoon of cornflour with 1 egg, whisk until smooth, add a few drops of water if needed to make a double cream consistency, then fry. Very good with chicken too.

Franbern Fri 18-Jan-19 09:25:35

'jewish' fried fish is totally different to anything served by a fish and chip shop. Have not done this for years, but back when I was first married (1964) it was standard.
Use cod or plaice, a dish of fine matzo meal, couple of eggs beaten up in another dish. Coat fish in the matzo meal, then in the egg, then SHALLOW fry in a very hot frying pan with oll.. Turn after a few minutes. Cooked like this the fish is delicious when hot, but will be just as delicious eaten the following day cold.
Once all the fish is fried I used to mix remainder of egg and motza meal and fry that also as a treat.

Fennel Fri 18-Jan-19 13:44:42

My husband likes fish fried like that, Franbern. He insists his Gran used olive oil, but I think it makes it soggy.
Another Jewish recipe is "chopped and fried", I sometimes make it but it's fiddly.
You mince the fish with some onion, add matza meal, a little sugar and egg to bind.
Form into patties, dip in more matza meal and fry.
As above, it's the smell of fried fish which puts me off making it often.

shysal Fri 18-Jan-19 14:27:45

I never deep fry anything so cannot comment on batter. When coating with flour or breadcrumbs I like to add some finely grated Parmesan, which is especially nice with plaice. Any chunkier cuts like salmon or cod loin (smoked or not), I bake in a foil parcel with butter and lemon juice. I also love fish pie, especially Mary Berry's version.
www.bbc.com/food/recipes/fish_pie_with_souffl_57249

Fennel Fri 18-Jan-19 14:45:44

That topping looks delicious - much nicer than mashed potatoes. I think I'll try it.
btw I never deep fry either, only frying pan. I used to deep fry chips but put the fryer outside.