Gransnet forums

Food

Stocking up on Food Brexit.

(353 Posts)
SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 17:04:19

Are you stocking up at home in case Brexit means shortages?

How much money wise and amount?

What are you stocking up on?

tanith Fri 25-Jan-19 17:11:31

No No and No

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 17:12:16

No no no it’s such nonsense if there’s shortagers then we eat something different We adapt
No I will not be stocking up anything and I think people who do are acting foolishly
Sorry to sound abrupt but this really is silly stuff

POGS Fri 25-Jan-19 17:12:57

No

MissAdventure Fri 25-Jan-19 17:15:26

No, I think its silly too.

lemongrove Fri 25-Jan-19 17:18:30

No, it’s idiots who stockpile that cause shortages.

MiniMoon Fri 25-Jan-19 17:19:53

I don't think there will be any shortages. No stocking up in this house.

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:20:37

If the deliveries can't get through then the supermarkets, who have stock on a just in time inventory basis, may run out of items.

If there are any shortages, people will panic buy everything.

For that reason I am making sure I have a reasonable amount of dried milk and flour in my cupboards and may get dried eggs depending on how it is looking closer to end of March.

Other than that I'll shop as normal.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 17:22:23

Whats the point , you can't stash enough to last before , you get bored of it , it goes off .
Brexit might not cause the shortages and you can't move for boxes of expensive mistakes !

lemongrove Fri 25-Jan-19 17:23:00

Dried eggs? Is WW3 happening?

sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 17:27:42

gringrin lemongrove

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 17:36:46

No, apart from anything else, we do not know what will be in short supply, if anything .

You will look a fool with cupboard full washing machine powder because that is what you have stocked up, when the shortage turns out to be flour.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Jan-19 17:39:23

DH wants me to stock up on toilet rolls. Something to do with the trees not being available.

I don't think I will.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 17:41:09

Where would you buy dried eggs ??????????? and why , they were revolting

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 17:45:30

Oh my dear can’t you manage without eggs and milk, if there aren’t any we will learn and adapt to use something else Where on earth do you buy dried eggs from I haven’t even heard of them since 1945 ? The country is awash with hens and cows they might be more expensive though
Oh dear Craftergran you are falling into the trap

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:46:06

Probably get them from Holland & Barratt and they might be useful in making a quiche or two.

Pretty sure I saw H & B had egg substitute a vegan ption when I was there last week

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:46:27

option/ption

MrsJamJam Fri 25-Jan-19 18:01:56

craftergran - I should think vegan pretend egg would taste revolting! We have lots of leeks doing well in our veg patch, now known as the Brexit leeks!

Seriously, I think it would be madness to stockpile. Who knows how long the pile needs to last, and when it runs out, what then? I really don't expect to starve. But hope the shortage is not of wine

loopyloo Fri 25-Jan-19 18:05:44

Perhaps camembert cheese and nutella. And truffles.

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 18:13:00

Eggs come from a mile away, we see the hens every time we drive past, cattle and sheep are grass fed and the farm with these beasts plus pigs is five miles away. Exotic veg may be imported but root veg and potatoes are usually UK grown as are cabbages. Then there is the large chest freezer and all the homegrown fruit and veg in the small freezer.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 18:15:43

Ugh Nutella full of sugar and palm oil be a good job if we can’t get it to be sure Loopyloo

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:17:27

Dried eggs? Whatever next!
Apparently they were just abominable!

We'll go to the farm as usual.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:19:13

If the shops have no food do you think it would be OK to eat a jar of Branston pickle bb 2015 which is languishing at the back of my cupboard?

I keep thinking 'it's vinegar and sugar, it can't go off'.

KatyK Fri 25-Jan-19 18:34:00

Gonegirl that made me laugh. Had your DH been watching Love Island grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Jan-19 18:40:17

I'm feeling a little bit smug now. Our milk comes in glass bottles from a farm a mile and a half away and we get our eggs from a smallholding a short walk up the road. I hope all these stockpilers don't find out about it though.

That Branston will be fine, Jalima. Most of my chutneys are that sort of vintage.