Gransnet forums

Food

Stocking up on Food Brexit.

(353 Posts)
SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 17:04:19

Are you stocking up at home in case Brexit means shortages?

How much money wise and amount?

What are you stocking up on?

tanith Fri 25-Jan-19 17:11:31

No No and No

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 17:12:16

No no no it’s such nonsense if there’s shortagers then we eat something different We adapt
No I will not be stocking up anything and I think people who do are acting foolishly
Sorry to sound abrupt but this really is silly stuff

POGS Fri 25-Jan-19 17:12:57

No

MissAdventure Fri 25-Jan-19 17:15:26

No, I think its silly too.

lemongrove Fri 25-Jan-19 17:18:30

No, it’s idiots who stockpile that cause shortages.

MiniMoon Fri 25-Jan-19 17:19:53

I don't think there will be any shortages. No stocking up in this house.

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:20:37

If the deliveries can't get through then the supermarkets, who have stock on a just in time inventory basis, may run out of items.

If there are any shortages, people will panic buy everything.

For that reason I am making sure I have a reasonable amount of dried milk and flour in my cupboards and may get dried eggs depending on how it is looking closer to end of March.

Other than that I'll shop as normal.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 17:22:23

Whats the point , you can't stash enough to last before , you get bored of it , it goes off .
Brexit might not cause the shortages and you can't move for boxes of expensive mistakes !

lemongrove Fri 25-Jan-19 17:23:00

Dried eggs? Is WW3 happening?

sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 17:27:42

gringrin lemongrove

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 17:36:46

No, apart from anything else, we do not know what will be in short supply, if anything .

You will look a fool with cupboard full washing machine powder because that is what you have stocked up, when the shortage turns out to be flour.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Jan-19 17:39:23

DH wants me to stock up on toilet rolls. Something to do with the trees not being available.

I don't think I will.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 17:41:09

Where would you buy dried eggs ??????????? and why , they were revolting

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 17:45:30

Oh my dear can’t you manage without eggs and milk, if there aren’t any we will learn and adapt to use something else Where on earth do you buy dried eggs from I haven’t even heard of them since 1945 ? The country is awash with hens and cows they might be more expensive though
Oh dear Craftergran you are falling into the trap

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:46:06

Probably get them from Holland & Barratt and they might be useful in making a quiche or two.

Pretty sure I saw H & B had egg substitute a vegan ption when I was there last week

craftergran Fri 25-Jan-19 17:46:27

option/ption

MrsJamJam Fri 25-Jan-19 18:01:56

craftergran - I should think vegan pretend egg would taste revolting! We have lots of leeks doing well in our veg patch, now known as the Brexit leeks!

Seriously, I think it would be madness to stockpile. Who knows how long the pile needs to last, and when it runs out, what then? I really don't expect to starve. But hope the shortage is not of wine

loopyloo Fri 25-Jan-19 18:05:44

Perhaps camembert cheese and nutella. And truffles.

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 18:13:00

Eggs come from a mile away, we see the hens every time we drive past, cattle and sheep are grass fed and the farm with these beasts plus pigs is five miles away. Exotic veg may be imported but root veg and potatoes are usually UK grown as are cabbages. Then there is the large chest freezer and all the homegrown fruit and veg in the small freezer.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jan-19 18:15:43

Ugh Nutella full of sugar and palm oil be a good job if we can’t get it to be sure Loopyloo

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:17:27

Dried eggs? Whatever next!
Apparently they were just abominable!

We'll go to the farm as usual.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:19:13

If the shops have no food do you think it would be OK to eat a jar of Branston pickle bb 2015 which is languishing at the back of my cupboard?

I keep thinking 'it's vinegar and sugar, it can't go off'.

KatyK Fri 25-Jan-19 18:34:00

Gonegirl that made me laugh. Had your DH been watching Love Island grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Jan-19 18:40:17

I'm feeling a little bit smug now. Our milk comes in glass bottles from a farm a mile and a half away and we get our eggs from a smallholding a short walk up the road. I hope all these stockpilers don't find out about it though.

That Branston will be fine, Jalima. Most of my chutneys are that sort of vintage.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:47:21

I have one jar of my own chutney of that vintage too - I'd be quite happy to eat that!

merlotgran Fri 25-Jan-19 18:48:08

We live in the middle of nowhere so I always keep cupboards and freezer well stocked.

Should we be worried about looters? grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Jan-19 18:49:00

Oh, mine are all Sainsburys and Tesco Finest. Apart from the six jars of apple chutney I made last year that nobody's ever going to eat.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:49:04

I'm going to lock my chutney cupboard!

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Jan-19 18:49:43

Get your musket ready, merlotgran!

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Jan-19 18:50:07

I could just throw my chutney at them....

merlotgran Fri 25-Jan-19 18:52:53

I'll hide the wine and change my name to tapwatergran

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:55:04

grin

Atqui Fri 25-Jan-19 19:04:08

We had a very nice jar of home made green tomato chutney at Christmas circa 2014!

Lily65 Fri 25-Jan-19 19:34:23

I'm stocking up on fish fingers and a special man is delivering them.

CatMum59 Fri 25-Jan-19 19:52:47

Stocking up? No!

Gonegirl Fri 25-Jan-19 20:22:37

No Katyk. He heard it on You and Yours. It's the wood pulp that will be in short supply. Apparently.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Jan-19 20:27:07

I have got two tins of new potatos, a tin of mince, a tin of stewing steak, a tin of mixed veg, and a tin of mushy peas. I bought them back in the summer when we were on holiday. It was a little village store and I fancied the retail therapy. It won't last long though.

Grannyben Fri 25-Jan-19 20:28:01

Well, I've got 2 tubs of baby milk, just in case. The other dgc are that bit older and thankfully will tuck into anything. I did think it ridiculous when people say they are sticking up but, following this post, I think I may just add a jar of chutney to next week's shopping list

Grannyben Fri 25-Jan-19 20:28:44

Stocking!

Gonegirl Fri 25-Jan-19 20:29:05

I've got a kilner jar of mincemeat left from Xmas. I think we will be alright.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 22:17:31

Lily65 nooo!
He's promised me a special home delivery!

Anja Fri 25-Jan-19 22:33:43

I’ve got loads of dog mince in the freezer - that’s mince for the dogs, not minced dog. Also duck, chicken and turkey necks (for dogs) and poultry hearts and livers.

If it all goes pear-shaped we can eat those. Or the dogs 🐕

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 22:44:59

Should we lock up the cats post-Brexit shock

I did mention to DH that the fat pigeons which visit the garden could make a good pie filling.

Nannytopsy Fri 25-Jan-19 23:25:05

Cat food - he is such a pain in the a**e when he wants feeding and is fussy.

Tangerine Fri 25-Jan-19 23:40:11

No, I'm not.

Nico97 Sat 26-Jan-19 05:49:59

No, not in our house

Esther1 Sat 26-Jan-19 08:54:05

Gosh, it hadn’t even occurred to me to stockpile. I do remember stockpiling years and years ago when we were warned of ‘The Dirty Bomb’ - does anyone else remember this?

antheacarol55 Sat 26-Jan-19 08:57:56

No I am not stock pilling anything .

We managed very well in the war and if we do run out of imported food it might make the nation healthier going back to home ground and home made .

It is the scare tactics and a reason to increase prices .

It is all a con

FlorenceFlower Sat 26-Jan-19 09:01:58

Nannytopsy - am with you here! The dog isnt fussy, he’ll eat what we eat but the kittycat is rather a pain about his food. I noticed the other day that his sachets come from Luxembourg, so I may well get an extra few for him. Don’t think this is stockpiling but what Mrs Thatcher called being a prudent housewife!

Saggi Sat 26-Jan-19 09:05:04

Oh dear SparklyGrandma...they have got you worried haven’t they.... only one thing you need to stock up on and that’s your common sense , which I’m sure you have in abundance...this scaremongering will fizzle like the Millenium ‘bug’ that NEVER HAPPENED. Remember that!!

Gottalovethem Sat 26-Jan-19 09:06:27

I’ve just picked up some 3 in 1 coffees, loo roll and an extra weeks worth of Antibiotics just in case smile

GabriellaG54 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:08:12

No, I am not. Project fear has got it's claws into you if you stockpile.
Stockpiling is greedy as you will end up taking more than you need, 'just in case' and some who cannot afford big shops will be unable to buy the basics.
Only ridiculous people would consider it.

Saggi Sat 26-Jan-19 09:10:17

Powdered eggs????? As my mum said ...if I can’t have sugar in me tea then I won’t ...never had it again from rationing til she died. What’ll happen ...well maybe we’ll all lose a little weight and that can’t be a bad thing!! None of us actually need half the food we eat.

Lewie Sat 26-Jan-19 09:10:39

Nothing!

Albangirl14 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:11:26

No No No!

Abigailmckd Sat 26-Jan-19 09:16:29

Mrs jamjam
😁🍇

Blinko Sat 26-Jan-19 09:16:33

Why would anyone need dried eggs? Don't we have chickens in the UK?

moggiek Sat 26-Jan-19 09:17:10

Absolutely nothing.

Blinko Sat 26-Jan-19 09:18:18

Anyway, we'll be ok, I have a Christmas pud from about three years ago...

Gma29 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:26:11

Nothing. The idea is ridiculous

Chewbacca Sat 26-Jan-19 09:26:30

I heard on the radio yesterday that a --muppet- man had gone out and bought over £300 of his cats favourite food; just in case he can't get it after end of March. Fingers crossed his pussy doesn't get run over before it's eaten the lot.

Bobbynet1962 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:27:32

While I personally doubt I’ll be stockpiling. I’m not on any medication but my elderly Mum is and there are already shortages. I was at a meeting of local business owners on Thursday, and the haulage company said all warehouse space is now full and the government is desperate for more. So that tells us something . As for eating something else, the UK is not self sufficient in food.

Bobbynet1962 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:29:07

The Pets at Home MD said they are stockpiling, mainly pet foods!

blue60 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:30:43

I have an allotment. I grow what I like to eat and I'm preparing to do the same this coming year. Any surplus goes in the freezer (rhubarb still from last year and some runner beans).

I grow my own salad in my greenhouse which is in the garden, and we bake our own bread. Getting my seed potatoes this morning ready for the new season ahead, and grow other root veg, onions etc from seed.

As we go off campervanning, I often buy tins (baked beans, soup etc) and dried goods (mash potato, pasta etc) anyway as a convenience so I have a box set aside.

I must admit I've bought extra due to all the stories about running out of stuff as a precaution, and I look on it as a way of forward buying if things remain the same.

I simply don't care whether others think I'm an idiot or not.

4allweknow Sat 26-Jan-19 09:39:00

No stockpiling for me. On the chicken and milk topic though, will there be enough feed in the country for the animals to produce. If there is a shortage then price will go up and farmers won't be able to afford to buy. The government could of course subsidise. What about shortages across the channel. They too will be short of our exports in the food line which at the moment I can thing of as being fish and whisky!

maxdecatt Sat 26-Jan-19 09:40:38

Nothing at all. I am amazed that people I thought intelligent are running scared and believing the swivel-eyed Remainers. Just remember that the Republic of Ireland (Eire) are bricking it over Brexit. The EU are blackmailing them into refusing to remove or modify the Backstop and they (Eire) know that the Irish economy will take a huge and very damaging hit if trade with the UK is made difficult. It all boils down to money. The EU demanded £80 billion. Told to get lost they immediately settled on £39 billion. Who gives up 50%? Those that desperately need the cash, that is who. Now is the time to tell the EU that the £39 billion will reduce by half a billion per day until they come to heel.....which they will do after about 4 days of seeing the money pile shrink.
Money talks and rules. Always does. If it makes you feel better plant extra vegetables...beans, tomatoes, onions. Not that you will need them....but they will taste better than what you are used to from the superemarket!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:43:09

I don't stockpile for things like this beyond the ordinary - like tins of soup and Complan, in case I'm ill. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 26-Jan-19 09:44:50

I bought two bottles of olive oil this week is that stockpiling? Forgot I had already bought one.

maxdecatt Sat 26-Jan-19 09:46:28

If all warehouses are full and the govenment are looking for more they can use the hundreds of huge shops that are standing empty up and down the country. Lots of stuff needs no cooling or refrigeration, Just a space to be stacked. Simply commandeer the p;laces as in wartime, the landlordss will be happy as the premises will be secure, looked after and they will not have to pay rates on the empty units.

RustyBear Sat 26-Jan-19 09:50:45

@saggi “this scaremongering will fizzle like the Millenium ‘bug’ that NEVER HAPPENED. Remember that!!”

The reason the Millenium bug never happened is that lots of people who knew what they were doing worked hard to make sure it didn’t.

Not sure that’s the case this time...

But stockpiling cat food is just silly, the cat will obviously go off that particular food at once. It’s what cats do.

trendygran Sat 26-Jan-19 09:51:46

No. Too much scaremongering I think. We aren’t likely to starve even if shortages of some foods does happen.How did we manage before the Common Market? We didn’t go without food before then but just had less choice.

maddyone Sat 26-Jan-19 10:02:14

The answer is nothing. I’m not stockpiling anything. It’s all scaremongering.

Summerstorm Sat 26-Jan-19 10:02:17

Dried eggs? Do we actually import eggs from the EU. I thought we had chickens in this country.

maddyone Sat 26-Jan-19 10:03:28

.Summerstorm gringringrin

Theoddbird Sat 26-Jan-19 10:07:13

Nothing. We adapt to what we can buy. People panic buying and stock piling are what causes shortages in shops. Oh and maybe we should all start buying British....just a thought.

henetha Sat 26-Jan-19 10:08:08

It didn't even occur to me that we should stock up. Really?
I always have a few bits and pieces, -long life milk etc, - in case of bad weather as I live in the countryside, but apart from that, no I shan't be stocking up. There's plenty of local food around here, farm eggs etc....

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Jan-19 10:08:26

No, I am definitely not stockpiling anything; I think it's ridiculous and scaremongering. Mind you, I'm always scared of running out of wine.....

Rosina Sat 26-Jan-19 10:11:05

I am not stockpiling anything - this is silly alarmist nonsense from those who don't want Brexit to happen. I am hoping to see a revival of British farming; perhaps we can enjoy the fruits, literally, of the garden of England in years to come and have English apples, cherries, plums etc. from Kent instead of looking at plastic boxes in the supermarket with Chile, Spain and South Africa as a source. How the planet would benefit if we ate what WE can grow and cut back dramatically on fruit and vegetable imports. That is my little pipe dream - and I don't have any nightmares about food running out - for one example, New Zealand were offering to discuss trade deals with us the day after the referendum result was announced. The Commonwealth is larger now than it has ever been so let's make the most of that too.

Authoress Sat 26-Jan-19 10:11:26

Not food; but I have been very slowly building a stock of my thyroid meds, which are made in France.

starbox Sat 26-Jan-19 10:14:24

Nope. Utter rubbish. All the necessaries of life can be bought British. If I want strawberries in January then I'll have to go over to apples!
Do you think the European sellers are going to refuse us their produce just to prove a point, and lose all that revenue?
All scaremongering drivel.

longpinknails Sat 26-Jan-19 10:16:11

We are actually getting some things that you can’t get in the UK....such as rice, pasta, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and pulses ...I know I could make pasta, but I can’t be asked grin) .and I’m getting stocked up on my fave shower gel/oil ( I know shock ) it’s the only one I use these days and it’s french. My reasoning is, they may not be able to get over the border for a few months and it may go up in price....a lot.

maryhoffman37 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:16:52

Nothing.

tiggypiro Sat 26-Jan-19 10:33:02

There is no point in stockpiling because the sky is going to fall in, the sun will stop shining, the moon will be blue and amazingly life will go on as usual.

sazz1 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:34:24

Nothing but the people panic buying and stockpiling will definitely cause the shortages

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:37:33

No
Nothing
Not at all

It is all Project Fear III, scaremongering for Millenials

harrigran Sat 26-Jan-19 10:39:49

Nothing. Ridiculous idea, life would be chaos trying to climb over cartons of provisions. When we were young we ate seasonally available food, there really is no need to fly fruit and vegetables into the UK from elsewhere in the world.

David1968 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:40:41

Nothing.

Margs Sat 26-Jan-19 10:40:58

I say chaps - let's revive "Dig For Victory", put an Anderson Shelter in the front garden and dig out that trusty old recipe for "Woolton Pie".

And lets mobilise the Womens Land Army too.

Kim19 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:41:21

Not a thing. I'll adapt and survive if I have to. J your Branson sounds highly desirable. The wit and humour here is what I truly love about GN. Keep it coming please.

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:44:22

Stockpiling cat food? Whatever next!
What happened to enjoying a nice tasty mouse?

Chewbacca grin

How can you go out and pick up extra antibiotics - surely you have to have a prescription?

There were shortages of certain medicines months ago - it's a worldwide problem in the manufacturing.

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:46:40

Kim Branston is only good when eaten with a good, ripe cheese!
Fortunately we are not that far from Cheddar! grin

anitamp1 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:46:43

Nothing yet. But would it be very bad of me to start stockpiling Cart D'or salted caramel ice cream? Just in case. He he.

Retired65 Sat 26-Jan-19 10:50:30

I am not stocking up on anything. There is a lot of scaremongering going on at the present. I suspect from people who do not want us to leave the EU.

silvercollie Sat 26-Jan-19 10:55:50

Ffs, what is the matter with you, Sparkly Grandma!

grannydubh Sat 26-Jan-19 10:57:27

Nothing.

00mam00 Sat 26-Jan-19 11:00:19

Perhaps farmers will be able to grow crops on all the ‘set aside’ fields.

Our giant chest freezer is already full of home grown fruit and veg. If there are shortages I will enjoy thinking my way around them.

GONEGIRL, it’s a shame we no longer have those huge telephone directories. I remember us using them as toilet paper after the war. (No we didn’t have a phone.)

Telly Sat 26-Jan-19 11:01:14

I have pasta and pulses and lots of dog food. There will be shortages if we crash out. The Health Secretary has boasted that he is the biggest buyers of fridges, so that they can stockpile meds. Prices will rocket as there will be profiteering. The supermarkets are stockpiling. In the event of no deal, then the first to go will be fresh fruit and veg. I am sure we won't starve but it will not be situation normal.

gerry86 Sat 26-Jan-19 11:01:16

I live in the country so if I run out of anything it means a trip out in the car so I always keep a reasonable amount of tins and frozen food in, especially as I only do a shop every three weeks or so apart from fresh veg etc that comes from a farm shop. We would could probably survive for a few weeks on what I have at the moment. Certainly not stock piling due to Brexit, but Brexit apart every few weeks or so in the papers they say there'll be a shortage of something, I don't take any notice of that either.

Retired65 Sat 26-Jan-19 11:02:14

I know things have changed but we managed before we joined the EU & I am sure we can again. What we need to do is train more people here to the jobs that we need people for. At one time there was a glass making manufacturer in Castleford, West Yorkshire. It closed in the 1980's & moved to Europe. We need to start and make more things at home, including growing crops etc. Yes it will take time and it will be hard in the short term.