Gransnet forums

Food

Past "best-before " but not time for the bin

(36 Posts)
Elegran Sat 26-Jan-19 19:33:23

But hating ALL food that is just over its date and being SCARED of it is over-reacting. The use-by labels take account of delivery times, even in less than perfect conditions, and in fact most manufacturers underestimate the dates they stamp on, to allow for that. They don't want to be held responsible for the state of it after it has been in the hands of others. We have become slaves to relying on the judgment of others and doubting our own common sense.

NanaMacGeek Sat 26-Jan-19 18:29:16

I'm sorry to disagree but food spoilage organisms (ones that cause foods to look, taste and feel 'off') and food poisoning bacteria may go hand in hand but food that that smells and looks fine can contain enough food poisoning bacteria to make you ill. You should respect the 'Use by' dates and be strict about storing home cooked foods, especially cooked rice and pasta for no more than 2 to 3 days in the fridge.

Food beyond its 'Best before' date should be safe and that's what this thread is about. However, 'Use by' dates are there to protect the consumer.

It is a fallacy that you can always tell if food is safe by smell and taste.

Elegran Sat 26-Jan-19 14:03:17

EllanVannin If the food in the lorries is perishable then the lorries will be refrigerated, so the food will be no worse than it would have been after hours in the fridge at home. If it is not perishable, then a few more hours won't matter.

Plus, why be scared? If the food is not fit to eat, you will be in no doubt about its condition well before it reaches your plate.

megan123 Sat 26-Jan-19 13:47:33

We have a similar facility run by the Church in the next village and all the local supermarkets and shops donate food. It's very well attended and a brilliant service.

I hate waste and my mother did too, nothing was ever thrown away in our house.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Jan-19 13:30:23

What's wrong with looking and smelling food to denote whether it is edible or not? Isn't that how we were taught by our Mums and Grans?

I buy unpackaged food whenever possible and use my common sense.

EllanVannin Sat 26-Jan-19 12:55:57

I hate waste too but I also hate food that's a couple of days over. It scares me because it's none too fresh to begin with given the travelling half of it's done.
It'll be a jolly sight worse after Brexit when lorries have queued for hours through the border patrols while checking their passports etc.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Jan-19 11:35:33

Totally agree GrannyGravy wish we had one here I hate waste

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Jan-19 11:33:07

There should be one of these in every town/village, excellent idea.

Marydoll Sat 26-Jan-19 11:30:45

What a great idea, Elegran. It's a pity that there isn't one in Glasgow.
I hate to see perfectly good food going to waste.

FountainPen Sat 26-Jan-19 10:51:33

A very good idea. I live close to a Tesco Express and often pop up late in the evening around 10.30pm - a half hour before closing - not necessarily for bargains but because it's quiet and there's plenty of parking - not so in the daytime.

I regularly see staff hauling all the bread off the shelves, dozens and dozens and dozens of mostly cut pre-packaged loaves, into a huge wheeled bin. The bread may still have a week before the expiry date but the delivery lorry has just arrived with a fresh consignment which has to go out on the shelves before 6.00am the next morning so what hasn't been sold today has to be moved on.

I recall Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's TV programme on food waste, skip diving at the back of Waitrose seeing the sheer volume of perfectly good bananas thrown away each day.

Any initiatives to sell this perfectly good produce at bargain prices has to be welcome.

Elegran Sat 26-Jan-19 10:11:41

The Food Sharing Hub, on Bread Street, Edinburgh, opened its doors on Friday, with shelves stacked with fruit, vegetables and bakery products which supermarkets would previously have binned as they were past their best before date.

“The supermarkets donate food which is still safe to eat, that doesn’t meet their brand standards – as opposed to legal standards.

“It would be legal for them to sell it and it is legal for us to.

“It’s things like bakeries wanting to get rid of bread at the end of the day.

“Part of what we’re doing is trying to eliminate that, making people think ‘does it look like it’s gone off and smell like it’s gone off, or is it a day the shops are trying to get it off the shelves?’.”

foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/scotlands-first-rescued-food-shop-opens-in-edinburgh/?fbclid=IwAR2yL4Zeitwu93u9bW5SjZ6_5DNdxYNmpaZrRZ4g5QgIjo4jDL8HCGEAVRg