Gransnet forums

Food

Husbands who cook 👨🏼‍🍳

(157 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:00:37

Whenever we watch an Escape To The Country the husband always seems to be saying that he is the main cook, and needs a big kitchen to bash the pots and pans around.
My DH cooks once a week usually, and even that seems to be unusual amongst my friends, who’s DH’s never do more than prepare a sarnie.Do yours regularly take over the kitchen and make several meals a week? Lucky you, if so.envy

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 20:04:02

hmm

DH does cook occasionally and volunteered to make a meal this week grin
He used to make a great nasi goreng but that seems to be left to me and a jar of Tesco nasi goreng sauce these days!

Generally, he does help a bit which means peeling and chopping veg.
And he can do a fry-up which I don't eat anyway.

DS is a great cook (better than me).

ninathenana Sun 03-Feb-19 20:06:07

DH always cooks breakfast when we have it. He also cooks dinner but not as often as 2-3 times a week. Although he would if I was unwell.

cornergran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:15:41

Mr C has many fine traits, sadly cooking is not one. I’ve tried, how I’ve tried sadly the closest to cooking he gets is cheese on toast. So now I don’t cook a full meal if I don’t feel like it. Mutterings are dealt with by a smiling reminder where the cookery books are.

NanKate Sun 03-Feb-19 20:26:52

DH always cooks the stir fry. He nearly always serves up and is willing to cook if I am ill. HOWEVER he is so slow which irritates me, but I know I am lucky to have him.

He often prepares all the veg to go with a roast because he is not keen on the ready prepared veg I am happy to use.

If he goes away for a day or two I virtually give up on cooking and live on egg on toast or a microwaveable meal. The words bone idle come to mind 😉

kittylester Sun 03-Feb-19 20:27:42

DH keeps offering to do 'one of his specials - scary prospect!!

EllanVannin Sun 03-Feb-19 20:30:37

Mine couldn't boil water, bless him.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:32:08

My husband cooks a mean chilli with peppers, red wine and mushrooms added.
Obviously it’s his signature dish as in the 45y we’ve been married he has never added to his repertoire!

M0nica Sun 03-Feb-19 20:47:13

DH could manage if he had to but I am the foodie in the family and enjoy collecting recipes and making meals from my collection of recipes. I prefer to do the cooking.

However, DS is the main cook in his family, having inherited my interest in food. DDiL is a good cook, but DS does mosr.

Grannybags Sun 03-Feb-19 20:56:50

No he doesn't cook anything. He helps me prepare by doing the chopping of herbs, chilli etc. He also cleans up behind me which I appreciate!

Soupy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:03:57

We both cook. DH makes a great Shepherd's Pie, Sunday Roast and various other things, although he doesn't tend to make cakes or biscuits.

I've made Moussaka for dinner tonight and some shortbread biscuits to nibble on.

sodapop Sun 03-Feb-19 21:14:06

My husband was a chef so always does the cooking as I hate it. He does the shopping as well. I am relegated to the role of washer up.
My friends insist this was one of the reasons I married him. ( not true )

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 21:22:22

Sadly not the case with Mr PECS! He tries hard but has little success grin

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 21:23:28

I'm the cool in the house,OH will make a cup of tea at bedtime but thats his limit .When I spent time in hospital with an at risk pregnancy he cooked for our daughter or so I thought .He did make "oven chips" which had never crossed our door but most of the meals were delivered by lovely neighbours it was just the chips he provided.
Its all my fault(isn't everything) I cant stand anyone under my feet in my kitchen I like it al to myself .

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 21:24:15

the cook not the cool

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:32:43

I joked that when DH retired he could take over all the cooking,
He took me at my word and has cooked virtually every meal including breakfast since he retired 2 years ago.
Luckily he finds cooking enjoyable

I just bake bread, the odd cake and make soup in my new soup maker.smile

Plenty of time to 'play' in the garden.🌻

janeainsworth Sun 03-Feb-19 21:37:15

In the very early days of our relationship, nearly 50 years ago, MrA invited me to his flat for a curry.
He put Brussels sprouts in it.
That ensured that he never had to cook for me again, except on the rare occasions when I’ve been totally incapacitated.
He does bring me a cup of tea in bed though and makes a mean cup of coffee.

notentirelyallhere Sun 03-Feb-19 21:41:51

My DH has taken over the kitchen, he also does the shopping! If I want a look in, I have to get myself together well in advance and announce my intentions! Mostly I don't mind because he means well and enjoys it but I do feel usurped sometimes, bless him.

NanaandGrampy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:28

Grampy does his share, probably slightly more than me.

He doesn’t bake or things like this but he’s very capable of making a selection of dinners etc . And that’s how it should be , we’re both retired , I’m not the housekeeper lol .

tidyskatemum Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:36

About once a month DH bakes bread. Lots of bread - enough for the next month. He makes some very good bread, but never remembers exactly what he's put into individual loaves so everything is always a bit of a surprise. And he uses every bowl, utensil and inch of space in the kitchen. I've learned not to venture in there until he's finished or I have apoplexy at the state of the place.

ginny Sun 03-Feb-19 21:48:05

My DH doesn’t cook. He will help with food prep . He makes nearly all the cups of tea or coffee.
I don’t mend things and anything to do with our cars is down to him.
We could probably both could do either if we really had to.

ffinnochio Sun 03-Feb-19 22:02:35

MrFinn has always talked a great deal about learning to cook, and he really does want to, and has a ‘signature’ dish that he cooks very well, and thinks up all sorts of ideas, and yet.... and yet... he’s not conversant with the reality of budgets, practicality and the fact that one has to think of food (and feeding) every day. This needs organising, as our tastes differ, so we need to discuss meals and the cooking of such.
I’m not a bad cook at all, but dislike the ever present need to provide a meal.
We’re still, after nearly 45 years, tussling with this, but happily so! We’re cool with it.

B9exchange Sun 03-Feb-19 22:17:01

I'm really lucky, DH does more than half the cooking. This started when he retired and I was still working more than full time. He claims I am the better cook, but he is certainly catching up fast!

Witzend Sun 03-Feb-19 22:58:54

My dh cooks once a blue moon, and then it'll be something like egg on toast.
However he invariably clears up the kitchen instead, so IMO it's fair division of labour, and since I'm a messy cook it suits me fine.
Also he's a completely un-fussy eater - will eat and appreciate whatever he's given. So on balance I count myself lucky.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 23:04:38

And that’s how it should be , we’re both retired , I’m not the housekeeper lol
Ah, well, I don't mind cooking but I hate ironing …..
and very rarely do it.

Rufus2 Mon 04-Feb-19 04:51:40

As "Onslow" would say; Cooking? That's women's work" grin

absent Mon 04-Feb-19 04:55:11

Mr absent can heat up something that I created and froze and then manage either potatoes or rice. However, even though I spent more than 30 years of my life writing more than a hundred cookbooks, still feels entitled to tell me how to cook.

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-Feb-19 06:30:25

My DH has always cooked extremely well-he follows the recipes unlike me. I tend to be more ‘intuitive’.
Now I’m still working and he has retired so he is now the king of the kitchen. This is an arrangement that suits me down to the ground. He has also taken over the shopping and this is still a work in progress. He’s fine with food but not the other stuff- loo rolls etc. But is getting better.

Madgran77 Mon 04-Feb-19 07:13:06

Mine cooks ...certain dishes he always does but he'll have a go at anything. He developed a cake repertoire when I was still working too, which was nice. Actually sometimes I'd quite like him to just let me quietly cook on my own (I love cooking) but hey ho, cant have it all ways!

Dolcelatte Mon 04-Feb-19 07:13:36

My husband is an excellent cook and also brilliant at chopping onions, garlic, preparing veg etc, and makes at least 50% of the meals. We both enjoy cooking and eating, but he is more ambitious with his recipes. DIY, on the other hand, we are both useless at, and we never do gardening!

dragonfly46 Mon 04-Feb-19 07:18:01

I love cooking so have always done the cooking. DH can cook for himself if I am away and he is great at setting tables, pouring wine and clearing up.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Feb-19 07:47:35

We are fifty-fifty in the cooking department. Mr GG13 can cook most things apart from a roast (no idea why). He will also shop for the ingredients, he has even taught himself several fish recipes as I like to eat fish a couple of times a week.

PECS Mon 04-Feb-19 07:54:16

Just to add Mr PECS may not be a cook but he does do the clearing up, loading/ unloading dishwasher, the cups of tea/ coffee, the laundry ( inc changing the bed linen) and his own ironing. Our home is cleaned each week by a cleaner. We share that cost. Shopping is shared, bins are his job.. I plump the cushions & we do a pretty equal share of the DGC childcare 😂

baubles Mon 04-Feb-19 08:07:59

MrB is the main hunter gatherer as I dither in supermarkets whereas he’s in and out in a trice. He also likes doing the butcher, baker and greengrocer shopping however once he has dragged the bags into the kitchen it’s mostly my job to make meals from the contents. Until I started giving him a list it was a bit like Ready, Steady, Cook in our house.

He does take a turn a couple of times a week though and usually produces something edible. grin

My SiL does pretty much all the cooking for DD & family and my sister’s OH has always been the cook in their house.

I think I’d live on snacks if it were just me in the house, I often just can’t be bothered with the thinking about what to eat.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Feb-19 08:08:37

When DH retired 15 years ago he took over all the cooking and rearranged the kitchen. My role became cake and biscuit maker and washer upper.

To start with he followed recipes slavishly and put all the ingredients out in little pots and used every saucepan in the kitchen. Luckily that phase didn’t last very long and he’s now very inventive with ingredients and, as our kitchen is tiny, washes up a lot as he goes along.

The biggest advantage as far as I’m concerned is that if he’s cooking he needs to do the shopping. I hate food shopping! I only cook meals now when he’s really busy with something or sick. Works for us!

Framilode Mon 04-Feb-19 08:13:02

My husband doesn't cook. I have a friend whose husband does all the meal planning, shopping and cooking. He is also an inventive cook. Oh how I envy her.

Pittcity Mon 04-Feb-19 08:25:24

DH does 70% of the cooking, I do 99% of the cleaning up afterwards. We shop together.

jusnoneed Mon 04-Feb-19 08:37:00

My OH manages beans/eggs on toast and that's about it. If I pop my clogs before him he's in for a very limited diet!
He doesn't help in the kitchen, I watch in amazement when he is trying to find something in a kitchen cupboard, usually in the place it's been kept for years - can he find it? Nope!
I nearly fainted when he washed up after one meal at Christmas.

Glad to say both my sons are the opposite and can cook meals from scratch.

Teetime Mon 04-Feb-19 09:01:19

No No No - we do not want Mr Teetime in the kitchen- Armageddon!

Fennel Mon 04-Feb-19 09:24:34

My husband doesn't cook, but he likes to bake. The trouble is he takes hours over it. He made some good bread last week when I was ill but it lasted all day - he makes up his own recipes and if it doesn't work starts again.
He's good at clearing up though, and does most of the cleaning.

Humbertbear Mon 04-Feb-19 09:26:28

My husband has done all the food shopping for the last 20 years. It started when he retired but I was still working. At that time he volunteered to cook dinner every evening. Now we share the cooking, depending on who is at home at the right time.

SalsaQueen Mon 04-Feb-19 09:54:10

My husband is a very good cook (although he only cooks once a month now). He had to teach me to cook, when we first set up home, 40 years ago...I couldn't even make scrambled eggs then!

Izabella Mon 04-Feb-19 10:24:26

We share, and are good at different things, but both excellent and inventive cooks. Neither afraid to try something new. However, I never bbq as he is far better than I.

Gma29 Mon 04-Feb-19 10:43:52

Mine will cook himself breakfast, as I really can’t stand the smell of cooking first thing. Sadly, that is the extent of his repertoire!

lefthanded Mon 04-Feb-19 10:49:14

I do all our cooking and have done for the last 15 years. Mrs lefthanded is a wheelchair-user and our kitchen is simply not wheelchair-friendly. If I have to make something from scratch then I need a recipe (I have all the Hairy Bikers' cookbooks!) but I do tend to use ready-made sauces for most things.

craftergran Mon 04-Feb-19 10:54:31

Mine cooks but I had to show him how to make a cheese sauce. He doesn't really bake though, so that is still my domain.

Craftycat Mon 04-Feb-19 11:00:38

Some years ago he was made redundant & was at home for about 2 months. I bought him a men in the kitchen cookery course which he loved & he brought home some wonderful gourmet dishes. He did made a couple of them at home but when he went back to work it all stopped.
TBH I love cooking & I think I would resent him taking over 'my' kitchen.
He does toast etc. if he fancies it but if I am going out for the evening he buys himself a ready meal rather than cook. I'm sure he could manage if push came to shove though.
I have made sure my grandsons all know how to cook basic meals! ( & some not so basic )

MadFerretLady Mon 04-Feb-19 11:02:55

We have always had what I call an 'equal opportunity household'. I am very lucky in that my husband shares in all the tasks. We share the housework and the cooking more or less equally, depending on what else is going on. We share dog walks too with him doing morning, and me the evening. We each have our own 'tasks' though. He will do the ferret maintenance (we have 7) of hutches and playtimes and I'll do laundry and ironing. It sort of works for us ...

MadFerretLady Mon 04-Feb-19 11:05:11

Oh - and I tend to do all the washing up ( because I enjoy it... ) and he does the shopping now. He started it when he retired from shift work and kept it up...

inishowen Mon 04-Feb-19 11:07:34

My husband does all the cooking. He's lucky as he enjoys it. I however do not enjoy ironing, cleaning toilets, or hoovering but that's my job!

lmm6 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:09:54

Amazing how much interest this post has attracted! It's an age-thing I think. Most younger men know how to cook. My DH would do it if asked but he has no idea, keeps asking questions and is so slow that I may as well do it myself. I'd love someone to cook for me as I loathe it. When I win the Lotto the first thing I will get is a Chef.

Lewie Mon 04-Feb-19 11:12:50

When I first met DH he served up an amazing homemade meat and potato pie which certainly impressed me. Two weeks later his Mum told me she’d made it! But he really does cook these days. He’s especially good at the 5:2 diet recipes.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 04-Feb-19 11:15:05

My oh has aboutique 3 things that he can cook (badly). I have done 99.9% of the meals through our married life but now he has retired and I have gone on strike (still working). When he eventually drags himself out of his office to ask "what's for dinner?" he gets met with "whatever you are cooking"! Since his retirement u have cut back a little on the "house" stuff because I've always done it, worked and seen to the kids and now it's my turn to chill when I get home from work. It's been a shock to his system (and mine when he cooks) but after 40 years I've had enough. Good job there's peas and gravy granules around though other wise there would be no veg on a dry dinner grin

Granny3Rose Mon 04-Feb-19 11:22:08

I'm lucky because DH generally takes it in turns with me to do the cooking. He also makes all the bread - the only shop bread we have is for making toast. On the rare occasions we have cake, I make that. But he does say we really need two kitchens so I can't get in his way!

gilld69 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:30:49

mine does the cooking too if i do get in there to do some myself he takes over so i leave him to it , cant complain i suppose.

Dancinggran Mon 04-Feb-19 11:33:29

My husband was a good cook and loved cooking, unfortunately he passed away in 2007. It was 2nd time round for both of us and in the 16 years we were together he cooked Sunday lunch every week plus one or two meals during the week if he was working at home. When it came to Christmas, I baked mince pies, Christmas cake but Christmas dinner .....my husband cooked, the full works, now my eldest daughter does Christmas dinner and I just assist.

craftycarol Mon 04-Feb-19 11:35:26

My husband cooks most days. He says he really likes it! He is an excellent cook - from curries to stir-fries, from fish pie to pasta dishes. Also he makes a really good paella. Most of my friends are envious and keep telling me how lucky I am. I do really appreciate him. He also does the food shopping!!!I

Gin Mon 04-Feb-19 11:40:01

This week I asked DH to pop a pie (home-made) in the oven and cook some ready prepared veg whilst I was at choir practice. His face showed signs of panic, vegetables? No he could not possibly manage them. He could open a tin of baked beans!
If necessary, if I go out, he will cook pasta and heat a tub of shop bought sauce and make enough mess, you would think he had cooked a banquet. After fifty six years of cooking I could do with a break!

Nanny123 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:41:11

My husband never does any of the cooking - I am so envious of those that have hubby’s that share the cooking.

fiorentina51 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:45:25

My DH took over cooking duties several years ago when he was made redundant and I was in a challenging job and worked long hours.
When I was about to retire I did say that I was happy to take up the position of chief cook again but he was by then really into cooking and had even slightly reorganised the kitchen! I must admit, that irritated me a bit.
He's quite an adventurous cook and really enjoys it. I suppose after 35 years of cooking for a family, I was happy to let him take over. 😊
Nowadays, I do the batch cooking for the freezer and any baking and he does the rest. It suits us.

Kim19 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:49:27

Baubles, I live on snacks. Whatever, whenever. Bliss. paddyanne I now see you as a cool cook!

maryhoffman37 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:49:40

"Take over the kitchen" is a funny way of putting it. We both cook, sometimes together, sometimes separately. Neither of us regards the kitchen as their domain, any more than the bathroom is!

David1968 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:50:49

DH does nearly all the cooking and also makes bread and kefir. He does the ironing, & cleans bathrooms and floors. Mostly we shop together but DH can do this on his own. When we met, he couldn't do much around the home - he just learned it! (Though we can both do simple jobs, neither of us is a DIY-er but we know when to get someone in!)

harrigran Mon 04-Feb-19 11:51:35

My DH took over the cooking when he retired and since having operations he has taken over all the housework and washing and ironing. The kitchen is his domain and drawers and cupboards are arranged to suit his needs.

HillyN Mon 04-Feb-19 11:52:28

When we first married (over 43 years ago) I told my husband that Friday night was my night off from cooking and it was his job to get us a meal. So every Friday we have..... a Chinese takeaway!
What annoys me is that he dumps the takeaway in the kitchen and expects me to dish it out. I made an issue of it once by cooking our meals and then leaving them in the pan for him to dish up. After a few nights he got the message and helped dish up. For a while anyway.

Chino Mon 04-Feb-19 11:57:32

My husband is 86 and the only thing he cooks if you can call it that is poached eggs or omelettes but I don't mind

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 12:00:42

Haha Hilly well, he showed resourcefulness and you do get a Chinese meal out of it.

Seems mixed then, some DH’s do no cooking or very little, a few do it all ( they must be the ones from Escape To The Countrygrin) and some do half.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 12:00:49

"Take over the kitchen" is a funny way of putting it.
I remember a schoolfriend of one of my DD describing her father as 'the kitchen man'.

Tabbycat Mon 04-Feb-19 12:02:45

When I first met my husband he couldn't even make a cup of coffee - his mother did all the cooking at home and he survived on take-aways and junk food when he went to uni - so I taught him the basics, but still did most of the meal planning/shopping/cooking myself.
After the arrival of our two children, when I went back to full time work, he started to cook a little more as long as there was a recipe and all the ingredients were to hand.
Then four years ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and he took early retirement, so he has gradually taken more and more responsibility for cooking our meals. It was difficult at first and the kitchen did resemble a disaster zone, but he has improved over time. So much so that now he does all the cooking and most of the clearing up. However, he does love a gadget and our stock of knives, rice cookers, egg slicers, mandolins, graters, garlic presses, pots and pans keeps expanding. I still do most of the meal planning, but in this last year he has started to search for recipes online - we had a really good made-from-scratch chicken curry last night - I just had to show him how to peel and grate the fresh ginger.
Friends say I'm so lucky, but they won't let their husbands into their kitchen, complain about the extra mess he uses every pan, critisize and belittle their efforts - is it any wonder their husbands don't cook?

Stella14 Mon 04-Feb-19 12:30:44

Mine is an excellent cook and therefore, makes all the meals. I bake, but I’m hopeless at cooking. The snag is, he has ruined me for any other chef. If we eat out, it’s never as good as his dishes. That takes the shine off holidays, but
I certainly can’t complain. The price to be paid is that he leaves the kitchen like a bomb site!

Daisyboots Mon 04-Feb-19 12:32:30

My husband could cook a few dishes when I met him but they soon disappeared and he left me to do the cooking. Since we retired he has cooked breakfast and made sandwiches for lunch sometimes but most cooked meals have been left to me. He does make the most delicious scrambled eggs. For the last two months I have been unable to stand or walk much so he has had to take over shopping and cooking duties. So now we have mostly ready prepared food which we would never have had before. But he does add extra cheese etc and I am not complaining. This last week or so I have been able to get around a bit better and have prepared a few meals and even managed to walk at the supermarket but I am determined that he can carry on preparing and cooking some of our meals even when I am better.

sazz1 Mon 04-Feb-19 12:34:59

Mine will cook but it's usually dreadful. Yesterday he did a roast dinner with fast roasted belly of pork so tough, carrots almost raw, mushy cauliflower cheese, burned roast potatoes, rock hard Yorkshire puddings the frozen type, and lumpy instant gravy. Wish he didn't bother as if it's a fried meal it's swimming in grease too.

Diggingdoris Mon 04-Feb-19 12:44:00

Husbands who cook? Where can I get one of those?
Mine thinks he's helping if he makes a cuppa! And that's only once in a blue moon!

sodapop Mon 04-Feb-19 12:49:34

Exactly the same for me Stella14.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Feb-19 12:50:50

We used both to cook and DH is as good a cook as I am, but since he broke his collar-bone and is going through the "help I've retired " male syndrome, he hasn't cooked for ages.

I'm trying to get him back into the kitchen because he likes cooking.

allsortsofbags Mon 04-Feb-19 12:52:42

DH does cook but not often and has a limited range :-)

He's always happy to peel, chop and other prep things such as putting things in the correct bins and clearing kitchen.

It's taken some training but happy now with the division of labour.

merlotgran Mon 04-Feb-19 12:54:55

DH is doing lunch today. That'll be beans on toast and if I'm very lucky there might be a poached fried egg on top.

loopyloo Mon 04-Feb-19 12:56:03

My OH can cook two meals, sausages and cheese on toast, so I have to be ill for only 48 hours!

MacCavity2 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:00:52

My husband said he wanted to learn to cook when he retired. Started with baking cakes and I helped him with the basics. Since then his Mary Berry lemon tray bake is in great demand at the community centre coffee morning. He has then gone on to cooking our evening meal with great success. It’s lovely to share cooking.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 04-Feb-19 13:14:17

I allowedgrinDH to do the ironing after did once AND only once! criticise my ironing of his shirts.

Anrol Mon 04-Feb-19 13:17:13

Mine can but as I’m retired and, as he prefers to work than retire, I am the provider of meals. He’s good and able when I ask him to be my sous chef, but he never voluntarily offers. When he does retire I am going to have a chat with him about dishing out the household chores more equally and I will have to learn to shut my eyes and mouth when he doesn’t do things “properly”!

NonnaW Mon 04-Feb-19 13:24:45

My husband does all the cooking, and menu planning. He enjoys it but says he feels a bit guilty at ‘taking over’. I don’t mind as he is a very good cook. In this cold weather he also makes soup for lunch most days. He makes a very good scone too! I still make bread and occasionally cakes and I do cook the odd meal, just to keep my hand in.

Oh, and he clears up as he goes along too! I’m very lucky to have him.

nonnasusie Mon 04-Feb-19 13:30:56

When I met my DH he'd been on his own for nearly 20 years (divorced) so was self sufficient! He worked in a hotel in Switzerland when young for 3 1/2 years and learned to cook there. He now does most of the cooking and never uses a cookery book or weighs anything! I am the cake and pudding maker these days! I did most of the cooking during my 1st marriage apart from Saturday when my late DH took over. Both my son and daughter share the cooking with their respective partners.

Hm999 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:48:13

My ex would have said he shared the cooking. He would cook once in a blue moon when we had people round.

PennyWhistle Mon 04-Feb-19 13:52:17

DH does the cooking whilst I earn the money to keep the household afloat. It works for us both 😁

Greyduster Mon 04-Feb-19 14:16:23

DH does not cook, per se, but he has a ‘signature soup’ which we have to ooh and aah over periodically, and he can make a fruit cake. His culinary triumph, though, is mashed potato. My grandson thinks grandad is the mashed potato god and his is the gold standard against which all others are measured! Neither his mother nor I come any where near the mark😁!

cheekychops61 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:23:49

We share most of the cooking. I tend to do the prep and husband does the cooking. If it's something like a roast or shepherd's pie that's my domain, but curries, stir fry, bolognese etc He is happy to do. Plus he washes up while I dry. It works for us anyway

PenJK50 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:25:48

I’m blessed to have a husband who now does almost all the cooking since I was diagnosed with a chronic neurological condition 7 years ago. It started when he couldn’t bear watching me cutting onions as he was scared I’d cut myself. He then said that he’d prepare all the vegetables. That changed into cook the meal! He loves it as it satisfies his creative side and I love his adventurous approach. We eat a different way now and we’re both happy.

trendygran Mon 04-Feb-19 14:26:30

My late husband used to cook sometimes. His curries were much better than any I have cooked since I lost him 10 years ago. His half sister (23 when he was born) made sure that he and her two sons could all cook. I never had to worry about leaving meals on the occasional times I was away on a school trip .He and my daughters managed well between them. Agree about ironing Jalima1108. I hate it and hardly ever do any now no shirts to iron!

jenni123 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:45:22

saw this online and made me smile

Missiseff Mon 04-Feb-19 14:58:57

Mine cooks a couple of times a week and always the sunday lunch. He's rubbish at cleaning up after himself though and seems not to see any spillages or crumbs! Can't complain though as he does the weekly shop, hoovering and all his own ironing. I allowed him to buy a dishwasher a few years ago & he says it's a godsend (I haven't a clue how to use it - have never had to! 🙈) 😊

Jessity Mon 04-Feb-19 14:59:31

DH doesn't cook, has never cooked. I love cooking, taught both sons and they now enjoy it too, But DH bless him does every scrap of the clearing up, dishwasher loading and unloading, anything too big to go in dishwasher, makes tea and coffee, pours drinks and I wouldn't change him for the world!

amt101 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:04:01

I think large kitchens are the latest fashion along with opening living dining kitchen areas into a vast area. This maybe great for modern houses but spoils older houses. And imagine having kids all over the place while you try and cook.

LuckyFour Mon 04-Feb-19 15:08:31

DH cooks once a fortnight when I am out volunteering for the day. I have to make sure there is something appropriate in the fridge/freezer that he can do and tell him what it is. Actually he doesn't like to be told so I just say 'there's so-and-so in the fridge if you fancy doing it for dinner'. He always does.

If I left it to him he would by ready meals from M&S and our food bill would soar.

Cabbie21 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:20:01

DH can cook and would do so if I were not around, but rarely does normally. He does make his own lunches, quite elaborate salads or a lovely scrambled egg.
He overcooks veg to a point of sogginess which to be fair is how he likes them, but also adds far too much salt, so in general I would rather do the main meal and have food I can enjoy.
He has one signature dish with rice which he cooks about once a month. My main gripe is that he does not wipe surfaces down afterwards, and as for the ceramic hob....

Mamie Mon 04-Feb-19 15:22:58

We have always shared the cooking. OH probably does slightly more than half of the main meals now and is a very good cook. He also does the breadmaking (the slow way), makes all sorts of stock which he reduces and freezes as ice cubes and does lots of processing from the vegetable garden. He does all his own clearing up too. We both had demanding careers and whoever was less busy did more of the work in the house.

grannyactivist Mon 04-Feb-19 15:29:58

The Wonderful Man not only cooks wonderful meals, but makes yoghurt, bakes cakes and savoury biscuits and also does all the bread making (we now have a machine, but he used to do it by hand). He minces the (venison) meat that he has skinned and butchered and turns it into delicious meatballs and he grows the vegetable accompaniment! He's got a bottle of sloe gin maturing (I picked the sloes!) and has pickled his own beetroot.

He's mine, all mine and I tell him how much I value him every day. ! grin grin

CarlyD7 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:34:29

My lovely friend used to constantly moan that her husband never cooked dinner, but I noticed that when he tried, she criticised every bite! not suprisingly, they are now both in their 60's and all he will "cook" is beans on toast. However, me and hubby got married in our 30's and so had both been independent of our families for a long time, and my husband was used to cooking. Since we both retired, he does 50% of it at least. In fact, he's a far more adventurous cook than I am (hurray!)

trendygran Mon 04-Feb-19 15:35:01

Jalima 1108.:Have Just re read your first post about Nasi Goreng.That was my late DH’s speciality as well as curry. I love nasi goreng,but haven’t had one anywhere in the 10 years since I lost him. It just wouldn’t be the same if I tried to make it!

Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 15:43:44

My husband does a wicked roast and Christmas dinner but sod all else through the year, makes real mess and swears over the fact that all my bowls and dishes don't fit together and fall out of the cupboard etc (they never do when I open them)