Gransnet forums

Food

Husbands who cook ??‍?

(157 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:00:37

Whenever we watch an Escape To The Country the husband always seems to be saying that he is the main cook, and needs a big kitchen to bash the pots and pans around.
My DH cooks once a week usually, and even that seems to be unusual amongst my friends, who’s DH’s never do more than prepare a sarnie.Do yours regularly take over the kitchen and make several meals a week? Lucky you, if so.envy

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 20:04:02

hmm

DH does cook occasionally and volunteered to make a meal this week grin
He used to make a great nasi goreng but that seems to be left to me and a jar of Tesco nasi goreng sauce these days!

Generally, he does help a bit which means peeling and chopping veg.
And he can do a fry-up which I don't eat anyway.

DS is a great cook (better than me).

ninathenana Sun 03-Feb-19 20:06:07

DH always cooks breakfast when we have it. He also cooks dinner but not as often as 2-3 times a week. Although he would if I was unwell.

cornergran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:15:41

Mr C has many fine traits, sadly cooking is not one. I’ve tried, how I’ve tried sadly the closest to cooking he gets is cheese on toast. So now I don’t cook a full meal if I don’t feel like it. Mutterings are dealt with by a smiling reminder where the cookery books are.

NanKate Sun 03-Feb-19 20:26:52

DH always cooks the stir fry. He nearly always serves up and is willing to cook if I am ill. HOWEVER he is so slow which irritates me, but I know I am lucky to have him.

He often prepares all the veg to go with a roast because he is not keen on the ready prepared veg I am happy to use.

If he goes away for a day or two I virtually give up on cooking and live on egg on toast or a microwaveable meal. The words bone idle come to mind ?

kittylester Sun 03-Feb-19 20:27:42

DH keeps offering to do 'one of his specials - scary prospect!!

EllanVannin Sun 03-Feb-19 20:30:37

Mine couldn't boil water, bless him.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:32:08

My husband cooks a mean chilli with peppers, red wine and mushrooms added.
Obviously it’s his signature dish as in the 45y we’ve been married he has never added to his repertoire!

M0nica Sun 03-Feb-19 20:47:13

DH could manage if he had to but I am the foodie in the family and enjoy collecting recipes and making meals from my collection of recipes. I prefer to do the cooking.

However, DS is the main cook in his family, having inherited my interest in food. DDiL is a good cook, but DS does mosr.

Grannybags Sun 03-Feb-19 20:56:50

No he doesn't cook anything. He helps me prepare by doing the chopping of herbs, chilli etc. He also cleans up behind me which I appreciate!

Soupy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:03:57

We both cook. DH makes a great Shepherd's Pie, Sunday Roast and various other things, although he doesn't tend to make cakes or biscuits.

I've made Moussaka for dinner tonight and some shortbread biscuits to nibble on.

sodapop Sun 03-Feb-19 21:14:06

My husband was a chef so always does the cooking as I hate it. He does the shopping as well. I am relegated to the role of washer up.
My friends insist this was one of the reasons I married him. ( not true )

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 21:22:22

Sadly not the case with Mr PECS! He tries hard but has little success grin

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 21:23:28

I'm the cool in the house,OH will make a cup of tea at bedtime but thats his limit .When I spent time in hospital with an at risk pregnancy he cooked for our daughter or so I thought .He did make "oven chips" which had never crossed our door but most of the meals were delivered by lovely neighbours it was just the chips he provided.
Its all my fault(isn't everything) I cant stand anyone under my feet in my kitchen I like it al to myself .

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 21:24:15

the cook not the cool

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:32:43

I joked that when DH retired he could take over all the cooking,
He took me at my word and has cooked virtually every meal including breakfast since he retired 2 years ago.
Luckily he finds cooking enjoyable

I just bake bread, the odd cake and make soup in my new soup maker.smile

Plenty of time to 'play' in the garden.?

janeainsworth Sun 03-Feb-19 21:37:15

In the very early days of our relationship, nearly 50 years ago, MrA invited me to his flat for a curry.
He put Brussels sprouts in it.
That ensured that he never had to cook for me again, except on the rare occasions when I’ve been totally incapacitated.
He does bring me a cup of tea in bed though and makes a mean cup of coffee.

notentirelyallhere Sun 03-Feb-19 21:41:51

My DH has taken over the kitchen, he also does the shopping! If I want a look in, I have to get myself together well in advance and announce my intentions! Mostly I don't mind because he means well and enjoys it but I do feel usurped sometimes, bless him.

NanaandGrampy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:28

Grampy does his share, probably slightly more than me.

He doesn’t bake or things like this but he’s very capable of making a selection of dinners etc . And that’s how it should be , we’re both retired , I’m not the housekeeper lol .

tidyskatemum Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:36

About once a month DH bakes bread. Lots of bread - enough for the next month. He makes some very good bread, but never remembers exactly what he's put into individual loaves so everything is always a bit of a surprise. And he uses every bowl, utensil and inch of space in the kitchen. I've learned not to venture in there until he's finished or I have apoplexy at the state of the place.

ginny Sun 03-Feb-19 21:48:05

My DH doesn’t cook. He will help with food prep . He makes nearly all the cups of tea or coffee.
I don’t mend things and anything to do with our cars is down to him.
We could probably both could do either if we really had to.

ffinnochio Sun 03-Feb-19 22:02:35

MrFinn has always talked a great deal about learning to cook, and he really does want to, and has a ‘signature’ dish that he cooks very well, and thinks up all sorts of ideas, and yet.... and yet... he’s not conversant with the reality of budgets, practicality and the fact that one has to think of food (and feeding) every day. This needs organising, as our tastes differ, so we need to discuss meals and the cooking of such.
I’m not a bad cook at all, but dislike the ever present need to provide a meal.
We’re still, after nearly 45 years, tussling with this, but happily so! We’re cool with it.

B9exchange Sun 03-Feb-19 22:17:01

I'm really lucky, DH does more than half the cooking. This started when he retired and I was still working more than full time. He claims I am the better cook, but he is certainly catching up fast!

Witzend Sun 03-Feb-19 22:58:54

My dh cooks once a blue moon, and then it'll be something like egg on toast.
However he invariably clears up the kitchen instead, so IMO it's fair division of labour, and since I'm a messy cook it suits me fine.
Also he's a completely un-fussy eater - will eat and appreciate whatever he's given. So on balance I count myself lucky.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 23:04:38

And that’s how it should be , we’re both retired , I’m not the housekeeper lol
Ah, well, I don't mind cooking but I hate ironing …..
and very rarely do it.