Gransnet forums

Food

What’s your quick hot meal?

(69 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 16:23:01

You know when you can’t be bothered to cook yet you’re hungry and would like a hot meal?

Mine for the last few weeks is so easy! It’s a cheat really but we love it. It’s in the oven now (whilst we read and enjoy a glass of wine!)

4 chicken thighs covered with a small bottle of Nando’s peri peri hot sauce. Cook for 45 minutes, turning once (I know, all that effort) and when done I ping a pouch of mushroom rice in the microwave for 2 minutes. Job done and delicious!

What’s yours?

tanith Sun 03-Mar-19 16:27:03

Chicken or beef stir fry, meat strips quickly fried add veg for a couple minutes add bean sprouts and noodles with a splash of soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce VOILA!
I do it at least once a week.

Baggs Sun 03-Mar-19 16:28:57

I like to keep batches of homemade soup and slices of home made bread in the freezer for times like that, urmston, but this is also pretty easy: Boil some spuds, drain them and put them in an ovenproof dish, crush them a little, tuck in chunks of Camembert cheese, sprinkle over chopped dill, pour on double cream, bake in oven with a lid for half the time and without the lid for the second half. The result is Ultimate Comfort Food à la Nigel Slater.

H1954 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:29:23

Tanith, I'm coming to your house for dinner! ???

lemongrove Sun 03-Mar-19 16:30:29

Same as tanith actually, but will now try your recipe Urmston as sometimes, after a busy day I just don’t feel like cooking much ( though enjoy eating) ?

Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 16:31:24

Ooh I’m going to like this thread ladies, thank you! I like these two ideas very much.
I’m lazy.
?
But I like food.

Sussexborn Sun 03-Mar-19 16:40:42

Jacket potato. 5 minutes in the microwave then about 40 minutes in the oven. Lardons and mushrooms go in to the oven for the last 15 minutes then pile on grated extra mature cheddar. Add salt and a tiny pinch of black pepper.

TwiceAsNice Sun 03-Mar-19 16:42:29

Bacon and Eggs or Mushroom omelette .

Scribbles Sun 03-Mar-19 16:49:23

A cheese omelette with a handful of bagged green salad and some new bread & butter.

Alternatively, a quick fry up - bacon, egg, tomato and baked beans and toast.

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:52:36

Today have been out and wanted something quick and warm.
Yesterday I bought from Tesco (yellow section) a tray of pre prepared mixed Mediterranean vegetables.
Just now they are in the oven with a few slices of chorizo sausage and a handful of cherry tomatoes that need using up.
Garlic and some passata added after 20mins and two pieces of cod baked in the top of veg.
Frozen Garlic bread heated in the oven.

NotAGran55 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:53:13

Smoked haddock , poached egg on a bed of rocket and half a small pouch of ready cooked rice warmed through .
Delicious !

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:54:02

On the ....

kittylester Sun 03-Mar-19 16:59:41

New potatoes, grilled back bacon and peas.

ninathenana Sun 03-Mar-19 17:49:38

Chicken thighs on a bed of chop tin tomatoes with garlic chopped sweet pepper, chopped leeks and mushrooms, cover with packet flavouring. Cook in the oven for 45mins and serve with sachet of microwave rice.

ninathenana Sun 03-Mar-19 17:53:58

Alternative stir some passata through cooked pasta serve with shredded ham on top pluss grated cheese.

DanniRae Sun 03-Mar-19 18:09:54

Pizza from the freezer or bought pasta (lots of flavours to choose from) with bought pasta sauce (ditto flavours). Pasta goes in boiling water for a few minutes and sauce is heated in saucepan.
Some of the meals already posted sound like hard work for a lazy cook like me! blush

Fennel Sun 03-Mar-19 18:16:00

Mine's an omelette - filled with whatever is in the fridge.
Or a fry-up, based on leftovers. Mainly potatoes.
On Friday I enjoyed the fried-up remains of my fish pie. Mixed with an egg.

seacliff Sun 03-Mar-19 18:44:19

Yes I love an omelette too. Sometimes I fry up some sliced tinned potatoes first, then add the omelette.

Or - Beans on toast with grated cheese on top, or eggs on toast. I have very basic cooking abilities compared to many of you!

Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 18:47:17

No seacliff your hot meals sound ideal. And you truly couldn’t describe my cheat’s meal as ‘cooking’ ha!

humptydumpty Sun 03-Mar-19 18:52:22

Gosh I was ashamed when I read all these ideas - mine would have been beans on toast!!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:53:14

Ham, Egg and Chips, usually have home cooked ham in the fridge.

Sausage, mash and peas with onion gravy under 30 mins from fridge/freezer to plate.

shysal Sun 03-Mar-19 18:55:39

I had this yesterday. Chicken mini fillets or boneless thighs and chopped mushrooms cooked in the oven with a can of condensed mushroom soup.
If time is short I like eggs or cheese on toast.

tinaf1 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:55:50

Mine too humptydumpty

Mamissimo Sun 03-Mar-19 19:00:56

Lambs kidneys sautéed in red wine with peas....10 mins max if I use nuclear rice ?

Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 19:04:29

They both sound so quick & easy shysal and Mamissimo I shall definitely try both. Thank you. I only need about 3 more ‘no messing’ hot meals and I hardly ever need to stand chopping, peeling and stirring in the kitchen ever again!