Gransnet forums

Food

No more fish fingers!!

(42 Posts)
supermum48 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:52:42

Our grandchildren eat with us several nights a week, but they are so faddy. We are getting sick of fish fingers and pizza and I am on a mission to give them a variety of proper food. So far we have tried toad in the hole, carbonara, bolognese, fish pie and roast chicken with varying results. Any suggestions for easy dinners that your grandchildren love would be greatly appreciated.

gillybob Sat 16-Mar-19 11:57:33

Mine love “proper” Sunday dinners (on a Monday ) they also love mild curries, tomato based pastas, chicken goujons served with vegetable rice, good sausage, mash and peas. They put their order in today for Monday. smile

aggie Sat 16-Mar-19 12:00:19

My lot loved my Tomato sauce ( they didn't know about the hidden veg ) with Pasta

EllanVannin Sat 16-Mar-19 12:06:38

Home-made sausage rolls. Things on sticks. Home-made ( mini )burgers. Chicken legs.
Tit-bits that they can pick at. Apple fritters.Potato fritters.
Your own pigs in blankets.

I'm trying to think of all the things I used to do when my GC were little----30 years odd now, one or two of them were picky but if I fiddled and faffed with a variety they seemed to go down well.

grannysue05 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:07:38

I cook every night for the GC's and their favourites are;
Stir fry with chicken strips and served with noodles
Cauliflower cheese with bacon
Various pulses (such as lentils or black eyed susan or haricot beans) soaked overnight then cooked with potatoes,carrots,celery and onion.
Fresh salmon parcels served with mash and sweetcorn
A really good spag bol
Chicken made into Thai Green Curry with the addition of a good sauce, served with rice or cracked wheat

The GC's always wolf down the lot
I always follow with fresh fruit and (sometimes) offer cheese
Hope this gives you some ideas

Jane10 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:12:42

Could you do with another grandchild Grannysue05? I'm available...
The food sounds great at your house!

ninathenana Sat 16-Mar-19 12:19:52

Ask youngest GS what he would like and the reply is invariably meat balls and pasta.
They enjoy all the same things as gillybob's GC plus sweet 'n' sour chicken with rice, chicken and mushroom pie and homemade pizza

Anja Sat 16-Mar-19 12:22:31

Boys are seafood crazy. Paella is latest thing.

Girls like stew with dumplings. Lots of hidden veg in there.

All like curries

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:25:59

Roast dinner, bolognaise sauce with pasta, salmon or other fish (sometimes in a sauce with pasta) cauliflower cheese, one likes sprouts, the others don't, all love carrots, mashed potato, mild curry.
They eat the same as us. It's only DH who is a bit fussy!!

I bought some fish fingers because they were coming to stay, but the fish fingers are still in the freezer!

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 12:28:24

Anyone fancy a fish finger sarnie? Yum.

showergelfresh Sat 16-Mar-19 12:42:26

Can I come please grannysue05?

You sound like a fabulous cook.

kittylester Sat 16-Mar-19 12:43:43

Sausage meat pasta is a favourite here. It has hidden onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. If I can be bothered I add finely chopped carrots.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:43:45

Anyone fancy a fish finger sarnie? Yum.
You're very welcome lemongrove - DGD would love one too!

1inamillion Sat 16-Mar-19 12:51:22

Can't beat a gravy dinner, chicken would be my first choice.
Make enough gravy to freeze.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:52:41

Good sausages, mashed potatoes and baked beans.
Comfort food and the DGC enjoy that too, although we do have something more 'sophisticated' than baked beans when we're on our own!

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:01:59

It would appear I need never to cook again! I could do a round of the kitchens because apart from one meal, sweet and sour, I will not put in an order, I can eat almost anything. You would have to disguise cabbage or I may have a tantrum.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:03:31

Even fish finger butties Charleygirl?

to which you are welcome smile

Jane10 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:06:57

Last time my DGS came to stay all he wanted was the pastry from the outside of a spring roll. Needless to say he didn't get it. It's safe to say that he's a ridiculously picky water.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 13:08:04

Maybe it depends how young the grandchildren are? Ours are only 2y and 6y. A bit faddy still. Paella and sweet and sour chicken would be left on their plates!

Any good ideas for this age group? They like chicken nuggets, ketchup with most foods (the baby calls it dip-dip), basic pizza, sausage but ideas would be welcome!

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:11:44

Jalima I draw the line at fish finger butties but I would eat fish fingers on their own or with chips and vegetables.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Mar-19 13:24:28

Blimey it's years since I had fish fingers. When I have a fish buttie, it's the whole fish, hahahaha.

crazyH Sat 16-Mar-19 13:25:27

Cottage pie ....I sneak in carrots, broccoli etc in it and they enjoy it.

Badenkate Sat 16-Mar-19 13:32:14

Mine love salmon with peas, mashed potatoes and parsley sauce. All good stuff inside them!

Riverwalk Sat 16-Mar-19 14:00:13

I assume by 'we' you mean you and DH, and that you want meals that you can all enjoy without cooking separately for the GC. Mine eat all the above.

You don't say how old they are but how about:

Burgers, brioche buns, coleslaw & potato wedges
Pulled pork, brioche buns, coleslaw etc.
Home made 'Kentucky Fried chicken'
Fajitas

My two are good eaters (13 & 9) but I do make a point of letting them help themselves to salad, potatoes, fillings, etc, rather than piling-up their plates.

ninathenana Sat 16-Mar-19 14:23:43

They are all so different are they not. Ours are 7 (next week) and nearly 10
No need to hide veg they both love carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and even sprouts.
They have been eating korma and sweet 'n' sour since they were 2.5-3 yrs.