Gransnet forums

Food

Online food shopping

(100 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:51

Not sure I'm allowed to ask this but... can anyone recommend the best supermarket to order food for delivery? I've always wanted to choose my own.

I injured my foot badly a week ago today and still can't bear a shoe on. I've lived on frozen foods for a week. Nothing wrong with frozen veg, fruit, fish and bread of course, but would like some more variety now.

I managed a little shop at the small shop close by, bananas and salads, but wouldn't be able to trundle round a supermarket then load the car and carry it in when I got home.

Grateful for advice.

annodomini Fri 22-Mar-19 11:00:52

You could have a look at the supermarkets' web sites. Perhaps you have a favourite where you normally shop and could decide on that one. I have, in the past, used Tesco and Waitrose when I've been unable to drive, though thankfully, not recently. Both were perfectly satisfactory. Waitrose even rang me to tell me that a small wholemeal loaf was unavailable but they would substitute a large one at no extra cost. I see Morrison's delivery vans around here too and, quite often, Asda and Sainsbury's.

breeze Fri 22-Mar-19 11:07:16

I started many years ago with Asda. But found their delivery drivers were really rude and they often didn't deliver items which were in store as we once drove straight up there and there they were.

Switched to Tesco but fell out with them after a row with a manager one xmas shopping delivery. I was having chemo so trying to avoid going to the shops. Was informed if I ordered certain special Christmas items; like turkey/ham. I would have to pay for them even if I cancelled as they were special orders. But, they didn't deliver them confused I told him you can't have it both ways. He refused to help me and was very rude. Said something like 'I don't care if you are having chemo I'm not sending anyone back to you'. Ended up standing in a queue at another supermarket on Christmas eve feeling really ill. I vowed never to shop with them again and switched a couple of insurances we had with them to another company angry

Switched to Sainsburys about 6 years ago and I really like them. They are polite. Really good service if you contact them with a problem. Give you rewards points you can convert to cash to take off of your shopping order. A good value annual delivery pass. They are middle of the road regarding quality but you would pay a lot more using Waitrose.

Hope your foot soon heals.

jaylucy Fri 22-Mar-19 11:13:28

I have used both Asda and Tesco. Prefer Asda personally because Tesco substituted stupid things for out of stock items - I'd have rather had nothing than that!
My son has used both Sainsbury and Morrisons. I preferred Morrisons simply because they have a lovely range of goods, though they are a bit more expensive and don't have quite the range that Tesco and Asda have. Morrisons delivery driver each time were lovely and they offered to take shopping to the kitchen for me! (None of the others did!)

Panache Fri 22-Mar-19 11:21:10

Again following my husband`s stroke we were forced to go for Home Delivery,choosing Tesco as this is where he mainly did our weekly shop........and the only Home delivery store in our town.
3 months later we are pleased with the fact this is quite painless, and having groceries delivered to the kitchen table is proving a great help.
We find the veg and fruit not up to the standard we would ourselves choose perhaps, but in the main are happy as after all "Beggars cannot be choosers!!"

Charleygirl5 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:28:40

I have used Morrisons for a couple of years now. They have never had to substitute anything but my main problem is short use by dates for some fresh food.

I look out for their offers and I have saved a lot of money over the months by buying specific offers.

Morrison's delivery men always take my shopping into my kitchen. It is handy ordering online for heavy items but that is not the reason the OP is ordering online at present.

Scribbles Fri 22-Mar-19 11:28:48

I've used several of them over the past decade, including Ocado, who I gave up on because of careless packing which resulted in too many damaged items (e.g.: 5kg of potatoes plonked on top of a chocolate cake!).

I think, to a large extent, it depends on the efficiency of your local branch. At my old home, Sainsburys were hopeless - many missing, unavailable or damaged items - but Tesco and Waitrose were fine. Since I moved, I've given up on Tesco because we were getting too many short-dated fresh food items and unsuitable substitutions. The local Sainsburys are fine but I mostly order from Waitrose because I like their own brand stuff; there are very few substitutions and their drivers are so helpful.

annsixty Fri 22-Mar-19 11:50:06

I use Sainsburys with no problem.
Very seldom have substituted items and I get an e-mail in the morning to tell me if anything has been substituted and I can then tell the driver to return it.
If it is a larger pack I get it for the price of the one ordered.
Very friendly polite drivers ( but this is the north?) who always carry it through to the kitchen, totally satisfied.

Miep1 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:52:34

Ocado don't deliver round my way, but I've tried all the others. I think it depends upon what you are buying and whether you have the opportunity to add a comment such as 'only green bananas please'. I find Asda are terrible for vegetables and Tesco bad for Meat. Asda and Tesco tend to send me ridiculous substitutes! Sainsbury's ans Morrisons seem to be fine at the moment and what one doesn't sell, the other usually does. Waitrose are great, but I rarely use them as they tend to be considerably more expensive. Hope that helps.

Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:57:13

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm beginning to build a picture. I shop a lot at M&S - no delivery service, and Morrisons, but I don't want short use-by dates on fresh produce. I like the reports of Waitrose with few substitutions and helpful drivers. I have to take the plunge, I've got visitors Sunday and next Tuesday, so I'll check out Waitrose and especially their own brand and offers.

I do laugh at the Morrison's delivery van which says, 'No courgettes stored on this vehicle overnight.'

tanith Fri 22-Mar-19 12:07:25

I used Tesco while OH was I’ll and they were fine.
You could just try one and if it’s no good change to another.

Gonegirl Fri 22-Mar-19 12:32:01

Ocado are very good. One hour delivery
slots and an easy to use website. Very few substitutions. It's a myth they are more expensive than the others. They price match.

TwiceAsNice Fri 22-Mar-19 12:37:21

Agree with gone girl Ocado is really good will price match with other retailers, food is good quality drivers very polite and helpful

mumofmadboys Fri 22-Mar-19 13:20:41

I use Sainsburys and find them brilliant. No complaints.

Kittye Fri 22-Mar-19 14:41:50

I’ve used most of them over the years ( not used Morrison’s)
I started off with Waitrose and gone full circle back with Waitrose again. Ive taken a break now and again and done my own shopping but hate the queuing and packing and lugging to the car. I find them all much the same and change when I get fed up of things not being in stock or damaged packets, cracked eggs etc. I must say I found Ocado the worse the final straw being looked at in amazement by the delivery man when I refused bags of food from the chiller that were half full with water!

Charleygirl5 Fri 22-Mar-19 15:12:12

I have my goods delivered around midday on a Tuesday because that is one of the cheapest slots. I frequently get a phone call asking if the fellow could deliver early- the earliest being over an hour. The Morrison's fellow has never been late.

For me, the weekend is too expensive to deliver.

Cheesey Fri 22-Mar-19 15:36:57

I agree with others that Sainsbury's is excellent. I have had deliveries from them for several years now. They are always on time and it is rare items are not in stock.
Drivers are without exception courteous, pleasant and efficient.
Since I retired though I have less money and more time and so shop myself most weeks at Aldi. I still treat myself to a Sainsburys delivery every three or four weeks though.

Suki70 Fri 22-Mar-19 21:53:54

We've been having deliveries from Sainsbury's for the last couple of months and have no complaints whatsoever. Very few substitutions, which can be returned if unacceptable, long use by dates (on the one occasion one item was very close to its date we were informed by email and advised to return it to the driver if not required) , drivers unfailingly helpful and polite (and we're in the south east wink ) and always on time.

seasider Sat 23-Mar-19 08:01:06

They all generally give a discount for new customers so try them all and choose your favourite. I like Sainsbury because I can order late in the evening and get a delivery the following day, if slots are available. I also used Ocado for Waitrose products.

cornergran Sat 23-Mar-19 08:44:46

Waitrose for helpfulness and Morrison’s for discounts for us. I’m not sure if this is nationwide or just for our location but Morrison’s deliveries here come from a depot, not a store so no issue with out of stock items. Dates have been generally OK with just one or two blips, maybe just lucky.

glammagran Sat 23-Mar-19 10:00:26

We get an Ocado delivery every fortnight, mid-week and pay no delivery cost at all. I find them very good and most of my shop consists of offers which are often far better than Tesco. I will mourn when they switch from Waitrose to M&S produce (First World Problems)

EliseC465 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:02:48

I started off with Ocado, but it got a bit spendy, so switched to Morrisons and only spend about £260/month as opposed to £400.
However Ocado are going to start delivering M&S food soon, so I may alternate and have them once a month for a touch of ‘niceness’ smile

Nanny123 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:06:37

My daughter has two little ones and shopping can be a nightmare with them so she gets her’s Delivered from Asda. On Thursday her delivery are early when both boys were still up (3 years and 10 months) and the three old was so excited running backwards and forwards “helping” the delivery driver who was fantastic with him - at the end the driver bent down and gave him 50p for helping him. I thought this was so lovely and made the 3 year old so happy.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 23-Mar-19 10:06:38

I shop online with my daughter (special needs) using Asda. She goes online chooses her shopping and I then go into her account later check on the stuff she has ordered, change it, pay for it, and I pay £5 a month for delivery anytime any day. So far it has been my life saver and here has been no complaints from daughter. It has a good website that is so easy to use as well.

Skinnylizzie Sat 23-Mar-19 10:09:38

I love Ocado- used them for years. Really good