Gransnet forums

Food

price of butter

(148 Posts)
Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 12:12:19

Since I had heart problems I've always used sunflower spread, never butter. But now I've decided to treat myself sometimes, and bought some butter, which was delicious.
But the price!
Tesco links give about £1 for sunflower. £3+ for butter.
I still use sunflower for baking.
What do you use?

SirChenjin Thu 11-Jul-19 10:13:38

Thanks for that recipe Bradford. We use spreadable butter as well as regular butter so I’m going to give your recipe a go smile

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 09:54:24

I used to buy Vitalite for a dairy intolerant family member and I'm sure it didn't contain palm oil then

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 09:53:02

grannysyb I just typed a longish post and lost it!

Vitalite, but I see it now contains 'sustainable palm oil'..

You can make cakes with sunflower oil, the BBC Good food website has some suggestions. I won't try to link as it seized up my device when I tried just then.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 09:36:46

Well, I pay about £2 for organic butter in Waitrose, so Tesco are just ripping you off.

I do not like margarine, no matter how titivated and played with and have always used butter.

grannysyb Thu 11-Jul-19 09:19:33

Always use butter on bread can't bear slimy spreads, but bake with Stork as it's easier to cream, however looking at its ingredients I see they use palm oil yuck! Can anyone recomend a substitute? I bake for our allotment cafe and some people are dairy intolerant, hence using Stork.

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 08:49:28

With all due respect Bradfordlass that sounds as is it came from the days of rationing , but I suppose with Brexit looming.....???

Seriously, why eke out butter?
It costs no more than the trans fat/chemical substitutes and is frankly healthier.

BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:16:35

I have a good recipe for eking out butter without losing much of the 'real butter' taste.

Beat or whip it with half quantity of sunflower, or other light oil.
In NZ that would be 1/2 cup oil to 400g butter.

I believe some people add a spoon of dried milk powder to firm it up but I've never tried this.

It has to be kept in a container of course but spreads straight from the fridge.

The 100g left over from the 500g butter pack goes to make shortbread for my elderly friend who likes it for her breakfast!

SalsaQueen Fri 31-May-19 18:01:45

We've always had butter in my house. It tastes better than any spread, and some so-called experts say that it is healthier (not too much, though). I like Kerrygold, and it's about £1.90 in my local Asda.

PamelaJ1 Fri 31-May-19 14:18:53

I have been noticing Anchor seems to be more prominent on the shelves at the moment. I used to buy Country Life but now I will .always buy Anchor if it’s available.
My DH used to be a herdsman. Dairy farmers need all the help they can get and we need them to be profitable.

Helga Fri 31-May-19 13:55:46

Arla cooperative which includes UK farmers produces Anchor, Lurpak is produced by their Danish farmers who are also part of the cooperative, the profits are shared by all cooperative members, so by buying anchor or lurpak some of the profits go back to UK farmers, so as a UK Arla farmer on a family farm thank you everyone who said they used anchor regularly or irregularly. Dairy crest, which was originally part of the old Milk Marketing Board and who produced country life, all dairy crest assets were given in shares to UK farmers at the time, but they have now been bought out by a Canadian company, although the butter is still produced here by milk from UK farmers, the profits will not be going to UK farmers, as any shares UK farmers owned have been cancelled and their value returned back to the shareholders.

GabriellaG54 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:45:12

kitnsimon
Not in my nearest Waitrose it isn't.
Still £2 for 250g

Fennel Sun 24-Mar-19 11:06:02

What I meant was I'm going to change the shop I buy it from. I'll try President from Tesco.
One of my aunts was married to a farmer and made her own butter in a churn - manually! it was hard work. She just used cream and added a little salt at the end.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Mar-19 10:56:34

I'd like to know which butter was £3 for 250 grams.

Don't buy really cheap - some is just not worth it, it has a peculiar grainy texture.

Jane10 Sun 24-Mar-19 10:28:57

Oh Fennel- don't! Buy really good butter. It's one of life's little treats.
Mmmmm President butter...

Fennel Sun 24-Mar-19 09:46:58

"Well, this is obviously a topic close to GN hearts!" that's what I was thinking Maggie. I never expected it.
But I'm going to change to another cheaper butter now.

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Mar-19 09:09:07

Well, this is obviously a topic close to GN hearts! smile I always buy British butter, and used to use Country Life spreadable (butter and rapeseed oil only) for sandwiches. Now that we’re thinking more about plastic waste it’s block butter all the way, kept by the toaster in a butter dish.

kitnsimon Sun 24-Mar-19 08:41:45

president butter is delicious and is on offer at Waitrose at the moment.

Rene75 Sun 24-Mar-19 07:46:52

Willow butter is very nice too and I only pay 1.15 at our local supermarket which is independent family run since WW2

grannybuy Sun 24-Mar-19 00:29:07

I use butter. Can usually get an own brand for between £1.50 - £1.75. Countrylife usually for spreading.

GreenGran78 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:41:14

Buy, not but!

GreenGran78 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:40:38

I used to work for a company that made ‘spreads’, which is why I always but butter! I like to buy farm butter, instead of the brands, supporting our small farmers. It costs a bit more, but a packet lasts me at least a couple of weeks, so the extra cost is minimal, and it tastes good.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:37:11

Forsaking all butters …...

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:32:27

I was brought up with Lurpak as well but discovered ( along with other things) unsalted butter during my time in France and forsook all other butters.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:28:54

It is what you get used to.

I was brought up with Lurpak which I do like but rarely buy now.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:27:53

It does taste very different - if I ever have salted butter now I find it tastes very odd with the jam - I only have it by mistake now when away from home