Gransnet forums

Food

price of butter

(148 Posts)
Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 12:12:19

Since I had heart problems I've always used sunflower spread, never butter. But now I've decided to treat myself sometimes, and bought some butter, which was delicious.
But the price!
Tesco links give about £1 for sunflower. £3+ for butter.
I still use sunflower for baking.
What do you use?

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:22:14

I bought unsalted by mistake and DH kept saying 'there's something the matter with this butter - is it off?'

Perhaps I should try again.
However, salted butter on crumpets mmmm

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:15:44

I don’t buy unsalted for health reasons but because I just really really prefer the taste.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:14:35

if the weather is hot we do need salt …..

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:14:06

Salt is not good for us but I do prefer salted!

ps I do not add salt to vegetables etc.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:07:53

I’ve just realised that the Sainbury’s Butter I buy is English but I buy it because it’s the only unsalted butter they stock and I only eat unsalted. Wow am just loving this thread

Overthehills Sat 23-Mar-19 22:27:43

Always used Golden Cow at home (Ireland) Innishowen - you brought back a lovely memory.
Now (as another WASPI woman) it’s supermarket’s own brand Scottish butter. I’m not a connoisseur on butter but never buy marg.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:38:51

I like to use cold-pressed British rapeseed oil, but drizzle olive oil on my salads (Greek, if possible).

ZenMama Sat 23-Mar-19 21:33:10

Hello Lovlies: I’m in the States and I will always buy Kerrygold when possible. Many manufacturers of vegetable and seed oils do heinous things to their products. I also use Sicilian Olive oil sometime. 40W of the Goddesses.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:01:36

I buy British wherever possible, but I would buy NZ products.
That is because I think we abandoned Australia and New Zealand in our zeal for the EU.

GrammaH Sat 23-Mar-19 20:59:32

I'm surprised at the number of GNs who buy foreign butter. I thought everyone was into supporting British farmers - I can't imagine anyone announcing proudly that they buy Danish bacon, New Zealand lamb or foreign beef. We should support British dairy farmers who are having a tough time at the moment - Country Life or own brand English butters are the way forward & usually cheaper than President or Lurpak

bikergran Sat 23-Mar-19 19:21:16

Blonenana you can buy President butter in Asda.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 18:42:34

I thought Tesco was meant to be competing with Aldi. £3
I shopped in there last week M0nica (we like to do the rounds) and butter was most definitely not £3!
Perhaps it was a larger pack?

Craicon Sat 23-Mar-19 18:18:47

For anyone interested, there’s a Butter Museum in Cork, Ireland.
I usually buy locally made Bandon Co-op butter because it tastes nice. You can also buy locally made butters at the various farmers markets around here but they are usually organic and a fair bit more expensive. I only splash out on the good stuff when we’ve got visitors, otherwise stick with Bandon butter. Tried Lurpack but found it a bit yuck. confused

Framilode Sat 23-Mar-19 17:53:26

Apparently the only thing cockroaches won't eat is margarine. Always butter for us, and for a special treat Brittany butter with salt crystals. Gorgeous on new potatoes.

jocork Sat 23-Mar-19 17:31:42

When I was studying Food Science as part of my Biochemistry degree we were given a number of free booklets about different fats. I remember the lecturer who gave them to us saying "Remember who produced them when you read the information" - they were published by margarine manufacturers and promoted their products. I took that to mean don't believe everything in them. As a result of what I studied back then (and more recent research agrees with it) I concluded that butter was better for you than margarine although I did use sunflower margarine for baking. I never used it to spread on bread as it always tasted inferior to me anyway.
As for trans fats - the person who said that modern day spreads have less trans fats than butter is completely wrong. Butter contains higher amounts of saturated fat but does not contain any trans fat. Trans fats are not found in nature but are produced by manufacturing processes and are found particularly in hard margarine.
As a result foods made with these margarines, such as pastry and other manufactured food with a high fat content, often contain high levels of trans fats. Manufacturers are now trying to cut the levels of trans fats in their products as they have been condemned as being particularly unhealthy.

Bijou Sat 23-Mar-19 17:17:32

Either Lurpak or President unsalted and olive oil for cooking. I have an insulated butter dish from Lakeland so do not refrigerate it. I think theses spreadable butters have oil or water in them.

mrshat Sat 23-Mar-19 16:50:05

aggie - always Kerrygold!

Caro57 Sat 23-Mar-19 16:33:09

DH insists on Lurpak spreadable I check the prices as it’s sometimes cheaper to buy x2 smaller tubs that are equal in weight to X1 larger one. Baking I tend to use own brand baking butter or margarine

Fronkydonky Sat 23-Mar-19 16:32:31

Aldi own brand tubs of spreadable Looky likey Anchor butter is spot on and costs a fraction of the real thing plus Aldi own block butter is excellent too. I’ve never really been that impressed with the hoards who have to buy lurpak. It’s ok but Aldi own does the job in our house. You can’t beat the farmers market salted slabs of butter but it’s very expensive, so I leave it there on the shelf unless I’ve had a windfall?

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-19 15:39:23

Another one who does not keep butter in the fridge. I buy my butter in Waitrose (organic) and still pay less than £2.00.
I thought Tesco was meant to be competing with Aldi. £3 shock

25Avalon Sat 23-Mar-19 14:48:35

I buy Waitrose Duchy Originals English Organic butter for just £1:80. it is a lovely yellowy butter not like insipid Lurpak. I wouldn't use anything else and it's still very cheap for an organic butter.

paddyann Sat 23-Mar-19 14:45:25

anyone make their own butter? I remember making it in school with a hand cranked churn .It was hard work .I made some a few years after that using strained yoghourt but cant remember the recipe ,I think it was a success ,I was in my everything must be made at home phase and home made bread needed home made butter and jams .I'm off to find the recipe online .

Gonegirl Sat 23-Mar-19 14:08:23

grin

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 14:07:56

I’m finding this thread rather soothing

olive2709 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:54:46

Lidl butter £1.45 for250g salted or unsalted . DH butter fiend when I first met him 19 years ago ( lived alone) he would get through 3 packs a week and4/5 loafs of extra thick white bread . Today I have control 1pack butter between 2 and proper bread