Gransnet forums

Food

Bought pastry

(32 Posts)
farview Thu 25-Apr-19 21:53:28

Feeling lazy.. bought ready made pastry..it's four days out of date...is it safe to use? Would you use it?

Greenfinch Thu 25-Apr-19 22:01:59

Yes.No problem.

Chewbacca Thu 25-Apr-19 22:03:29

Yep, no problem with using it.

farview Thu 25-Apr-19 22:13:02

Brilliant...meat pie for H and grandson tomorrow..thank you both?

farview Thu 25-Apr-19 22:13:47

...isn't GN great? ?

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 13:56:28

Quite agree

Greenfinch Fri 26-Apr-19 14:00:26

How was the pie ? grin

mumofmadboys Fri 26-Apr-19 14:25:09

Any left for us??

EllanVannin Fri 26-Apr-19 14:28:44

Knowing what I'm like with out of date stuff------no.
I must be the most wasteful individual on the planet !!

Grannyknot Fri 26-Apr-19 14:38:48

I've often used shop bought pastry past the "Use by" date with absolutely no problems.

Anyway it's just a guide, below is from an article from Nov 2018 in a trade mag:

Retailers have shortened the use-by dates of food over the last decade, so it's no surprise that more people are throwing good food in the bin.

WRAP, the food standards agency and DEFRA states that use-by dates should only be used where there is a food safety reason to use it, otherwise a best-before date will do.

EllanVannin Fri 26-Apr-19 15:16:07

I think as you get older the gut isn't what it used to be and anything the least bit " tainted " will have an effect in some way or another either physically or mentally ( worrying about whether you should have eaten it or not ) so for me personally, it's not worth it.

Anja Fri 26-Apr-19 15:58:40

I think as you get older your gut has met most of the day to day bacteria and knows how to deal with them. Also as we get older we tend to pass or fail potentially dodgy food by the ‘sniff’ test.

Cheese, IMO, is best eaten when ready to walk off the plate. Yummy!

Was the pie ? nice? Are you still alive?

Nonnie Fri 26-Apr-19 16:28:13

Agree with Anja by our age we should be able to look and smell if something is off.

On the Food Programme recently they said that the mould on jam is perfectly healthy to eat. I don't but, just like cheese, I would take it off and then eat the product.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 17:14:07

Well I have a fairly cavalier attitude to sell by and best by dates. As already has been said by others, sniff, look and feel then make informed decisions.

I also cook food very thoroughly, the sight of red meat at table makes me feel quite ill. Because meat is long casseroled in my house, and often put in the freezer rather than fridge, even if for just a few dates, and so far no one has ever had food poisoning eating in my house. I know that is offering hostages to fortune, but I did say 'so far'

David1968 Sat 27-Apr-19 09:10:37

I would definitely use it - it's going to be cooked, and at at a fairly high temperature.

25Avalon Sat 27-Apr-19 09:13:45

Taste it - if it tastes ok then use it.

Grannyrebel27 Sat 27-Apr-19 09:23:55

I used some frozen pastry that had been in my freezer for almost a year and it was absolutely fine!

farview Sat 27-Apr-19 09:38:36

Well used to the pastry for a meat pie..I'm vegetarian so didn't eat it...but H is still here so must have been okay! It hadn't been in the freezer..just the fridge
Must say though I didn't feel too comfortable using it...I would normally make my own but find it hard when hand joints are playing up.. thanks everyone for your comments ?

nipsmum Sat 27-Apr-19 10:25:39

Your pastry s being cooked so while the texture might be a little different any thing growing in it , as suggested above, won't be a problem..

tiggers Sat 27-Apr-19 11:13:51

Farview - been there, done that, still here!

I did, however, sample the cooked apple pie I had made before I dished it up. It was fine though not as good as my late Mum's homemade apple pie would have been, bless her.

Lilyflower Sat 27-Apr-19 11:16:37

Smell the pastry. If it smells odd or looks odd don't use it. If it seems OK it probably will be.

I have eaten pastry much more out of date than four days! Pastry gets cooked at a very high temperature, more than enough to blast any nasties.

sarahanew Sat 27-Apr-19 11:24:52

Yes, it'll be fine to use

Aepgirl Sat 27-Apr-19 11:26:21

Give it a sniff. If it smells OK it is OK.

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 11:56:57

It will be fine to use, presumbably you have kept it chilled? Then you will have used it on a pie that spent a while in the oven....in itself a sterilising/germ killing time.

Shirls52000 Sat 27-Apr-19 13:06:01

I would have definitely used it, use by dates are misleading sometimes and I think it depends on what the food is. I don t use meat or fish past the sell by date but anything else I don t really have a problem with, just sniff it and see ??Xx