Gransnet forums

Food

Kitchen Appliances Addiction!

(77 Posts)
Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 09:33:36

I love seeing, buying, using anything for the kitchen. I suppose because the marketing of the items seduces me into believing my food will taste better?!
After a working lifetime very far removed from the kitchen, I'm making up for lost time. My current faves are the spiralizer and the slow cooker. You might be shocked to know the extent of my collection but I'd love you to make me less guilty and share what your fave appliance/gadget is...then I can go and buy it!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 18:18:20

grin grin

I thought it was one of those contraptions where you put in a tablespoon of oil, potatoes cut into chips and end up with crispy chips, but it wasn't.
Bought on a whim, Maw without thorough research
It looked very smart.

I'm going to the recycling dump, Carri, car booting would fill me with terror!

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 17:26:40

I fail to understand what an Air Fryer does.
Why would you want to fry air?

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 17:23:03

Calli.. Shall we do a car boot sale? Xxx

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 17:12:18

I feel so much better now Carillion, (mind you, I've not gone through the kitchen cupboards, my list was from memory!

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 17:10:37

I've just re-read my list, wish I'd included everything. ????

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 17:08:27

Ok Callistemon, but treat me kindly,
(And bearing in mind GA means have given one of them away ???)
Two microwaves
Vitamix
Bamix
3 nicer dicers (1 GA)
2 Magic Bullets (1 GA)
Kenwood FMixer
3 Halogen ovens...just love them
2 digital scales...one of them speaks
2 Tefal Actifry (1 GA)
3 slow cookers
One of those electric flat plate cooker thingies
Cuddly toy
Two toasters
Two kettles
A 'kettle' that you can boil eggs in
3 mini choppers
1 sandwich toaster
I have had a juicer...no good
Kenwood food processor
Microwave ricer
Microwave egg poacher
Microwave pressure cooker
Microwave steak cooker
My mother's pressure cooker
My pressure cooker
Electric knife sharpener
Two electric tagines
An electric food keeper warmer thing
A bread maker
An electric raclette
An electric fish kettle
A pie maker (miss Greggs)
Three yoghurt makers (1 GA)
....et...

I'm not telling you anymore or you'll have kitchen envy and don't ask me about my sewing machines...

annsixty Tue 25-Jun-19 16:36:29

Oh I forgot the Tefal Le Saucier ,never used.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 16:23:03

Carillion - your turn!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 16:21:47

Not quite the same list, but ten Hail Mary Berry's here too.
Kenwood Chef
Small chopping machine
Another liquidiser and chopper (saves getting the Chef out)
Soup maker
Electric steamer
Stovetop steamer
Slow cookers 2 as I didn't throw the old one out
Coffee filter, electric jug type (must be antique by now)
Coffee filter, retro
Juicer
Pressure cooker (somewhere)
Electric carving knife (never use it)
Stick blender
Toasted sandwich maker
George Foreman grill
Bread maker

There could be more, I keep things 'just in case'.
I need a clearout!
blush

I did take the air fryer back, they were very nice about it and gave me a refund.
Where would I have put it?

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 15:37:10

Has anyone ever bought a Remoska...I think from Lakeland? If so, is it similar to what my mother used to call a Dutch oven, interested because our GD is due off to uni soon and would rather find something for her other than a microwave which I'm sure will already be in her dorm?

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 15:20:34

Maw... I'm proud of you!
I'll have to pm you sometime soon with my confession list because it's a bit scary and wouldn't want to shock anyone ☺️☺️☺️

Nannylovesshopping Tue 25-Jun-19 15:14:01

Littleannie your husband is absolutely right, the sharper the better.

EllanVannin Tue 25-Jun-19 15:11:57

My next buy will be a stick mixer after having given one away. They're so handy really.

And yes, a sharp knife is a must. I bought a replacement not long ago after the handle came off my old one. Can't do with those that wouldn't cut butter.

Littleannie Tue 25-Jun-19 14:58:18

My husband was a chef for many years. He said the only thing you need is a sharp knife!

crazyH Tue 25-Jun-19 14:53:43

Did I see "omelette maker" somewhere....now, why would anyone want an Omelette maker?

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 14:50:28

As some people are confessing their gadget sins , here I go
Magimix
Kenwood Chef (with juicer and mincer attachments)
Kenwood handheld mixer
Bread maker
Ice cream maker
Electric soup maker
Mini chopper/blender
Nespresso/assorted cafetières / upside downy coffee thingy
Stick blenders x2
Slow cooker (also slow oven in range)
Pressure cooker
Chicken brick. )
2 stainless steel stovetop steamers) OK these are not electric
Fish kettle. )
Not counting kettle, Kärcher window washer, steam cleaner (useless) even an Elnapress ironing machine which I have not used for 20 years etc etc etc.

It is all such nonsense, isn’t it?
Say 10 Hail Mary Berry’s and sin no more

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 14:48:41

jusnoneed I will look on the Tefal site for ideas but suppose you could look on any air fryer site?

Carillion Tue 25-Jun-19 14:44:09

GrannyGravy I'm getting twitchy. When DH goes for his walk shortly I'll be on Amazon...Thermo...I think I need you.

annsixty, I'm with you on the mandolin slicers. Probably will never own one, they terrify me. X...You didn't come for your cake and elevenses.

Seriously though, the Thermomix looks impressive.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 14:42:11

35 minutes for one portion?

I'll stick to a jacket potato and DH can have his oven chips!

Thanks FlexibleFriend, I am off to see if I can get a refund.
If not, it will be 70 minutes waiting for dinner tonight.

FlexibleFriend Tue 25-Jun-19 14:31:41

You can make your own chips in an air fryer, we do. I find the problem is the amount of time they take, ours takes about 35 minutes to do one portion properly. Ours is an Actifry

annodomini Tue 25-Jun-19 14:29:49

Just as well I have a small kitchen. There's no temptation to buy something new every time I visit the Lakeland shop. Best and most useful gadget is the stick blender, followed closely by the mini chopper which makes a superb paté in a matter of seconds. I'd hate to be without my dishwasher and microwave, but have been without a pressure cooker since I managed to burn out the last one - don't ask. I'm looking for a smallish stainless steel one.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 14:29:32

GrannyG DD has a Thermomix, I should have just bought one of those and got rid of everything else!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 14:28:11

ps and we never eat chicken nuggets, fish fingers etc.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 14:27:41

This morning I bought an Air Fryer (Tower). Having taken it out of the box and read the useless instructions, I have now packed it back into the box ready to return and hope I can get a refund.

The instructions tell me how to cook frozen chips (thick or thin), chicken nuggets, fish fingers, do not cook sausages in it but I can bake cakes.

Why would I want to bake cakes in an air fryer? I wanted to make my own chips, as I dislike oven chips but don't want to eat deep fried ones.

Another item that could have cluttered up the kitchen, hope I get my money back 8unless someone can convince me otherwise smile.

However, I do like the Tower slow cooker and a steamer (can't remember the make)

annsixty Tue 25-Jun-19 14:19:16

On Saturday I used my 3year old mandolin for the first time to make Dauphinoise potatoes, it made a super job of both the potatoes and my thumb and I was really careful.
Now consigned to the bottom drawer, along with the toasting machine, the Gf grill, the small slow cooker, the food processor , the large vegetable steamer,, the....