Gransnet forums

Food

Sandwich fillings?

(82 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:28:43

For some reason I fancied a change today for lunch. A real change from my usual. I don't know why but I craved it! I spread Lurpak on two slices of wholemeal bloomer then squashed up creamy goats cheese on one side and topped with sliced pears and black pepper. Top slice on, press down and eat. It was wonderful. The saltiness of the goats cheese was cut by the sweetness and crunch of the pear. Yum. ?
Any other suggestions for a wee change of sandwich filling?

merlotgran Sat 13-Jul-19 16:34:47

Shredded Brussels sprouts and marmite.

I kid you not!

paddyann Sat 13-Jul-19 16:47:23

toasted Brie and spring onion,pastrami and pickled gherkin on rye two that I regulary make .Today no lunch I'm knee deep in food for a baby shower what seems like half a gallon of coronation chicken made with fresh mango ,and a selection of quiches sticky bar-b -q chicken and some tikka drumsticks along with all the staples like salads and cold meats and cheeses .Shame its such a lovely day I haven't seen any of it

rosecarmel Sat 13-Jul-19 17:08:24

Creamed herring, capers and horseradish-

Allegretto Sat 13-Jul-19 17:14:12

Not a sandwich, but my favourite lunch (when I’m eating on my own) ..... peanut butter and sliced banana on a lightly toasted bagel.

Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:18:28

Yum. Sounds like the sweet/salty/crunchy combination is achievable in lots of delicious ways.

Happiyogi Sat 13-Jul-19 17:22:09

Blitz together a tin of drained, rinsed butter beans with a few jarred sun dried tomatoes and a spoonful of their oil, some thyme (fresh or dried both work), juice of a lemon and a grinding of black pepper. Add a spoonful of water if the mixture is too dry.

This is very quick to rustle up, keeps well in the fridge and is easily tweaked to what is available in the way of beans and herbs and seasonings. A few chilli flakes are good if you like those.

Good with a sturdy lettuce or cress on wholemeal bread.

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 17:25:01

Toasted seeded flat breads with goats cheese, rocket and a generous drizzle of honey . Messy to eat but bloomin’ lovely ?

B9exchange Sat 13-Jul-19 17:25:11

Finely chop up some dates and a large eating apple. Spread on white bread. My grandmother's staple, and I still love them!

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 17:26:48

Oh I’ve got a real fancy for some peanut butter now Allegretto ?

mosaicwarts Sat 13-Jul-19 17:45:40

For a while I had a craze where I had to have bagels with philadelphia and grapes. I think I had it every day for about two weeks! My favourite sandwich is banana, sugar, date, and lemon juice.

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 18:02:47

Brie and apple is nice.

Minniemoo Sat 13-Jul-19 18:19:35

This will probably sound gross but as a child I went to a party and we had banana with grated milk chocolate sandwiches. Never forgotten them.

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jul-19 18:38:39

Merlot may I ask, are you pregnant?!

Minniemoo yuk!

crystaltipps Sat 13-Jul-19 18:42:01

Peanut butter, avocado, cucumber and plain crisps, seeded wholemeal bread. Yum.

Septimia Sat 13-Jul-19 18:53:53

Banana and soft brown sugar. Cheese (preferably strong Cheddar) and honey. When I was working I sometimes bought date and cream cheese. Clearly I like the sweet/sour combination.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jul-19 19:24:37

I used to love a big bag of crisps with 2 hard boiled eggs for my lunch when I was working!

My favourite sandwich is still cheese and onion.

Something different?
Onion and cheese.

Auntieflo Sat 13-Jul-19 19:37:27

Septimia, our DS2 used to love a cheese and golden syrup sandwich. Sounds similar to yours with honey.

Day6 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:40:47

Very (very) finely diced red pepper and red onion, thrown into a bowl of flaked tuna. Add mayo and black pepper to taste and mix it all together.

Lovely (soft and crunchy) on buttered granary bread.

Desdemona Sat 13-Jul-19 19:50:39

Curried egg. Mix hardboiled egg with mayo in the usual way but add a small teaspoon of curry powder to the mix. Lovely. smile

Pantglas1 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:05:31

Dear lord how did I miss this thread for a whole 24 hours!

All those concoctions sound delicious. There aren’t many edibles that can’t be enhanced by slapping them between two pieces of bread are there? And I include sweet stuff in my efforts in the sandwich stakes along with different textures.

Could we have a sandwich meet up - where we all bring a favourite for sampling? Oh dear I’m really going off on one here, roll on the tennis to take my mind off food!

KatyK Sun 14-Jul-19 10:07:12

I love cheese and onion crisp sandwiches. Yum. When I was a child I loved cornflake sandwiches.

Sourcerer48 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:32:43

My favourite is banana and bacon - absolutely delish, sweet and savoury. It's a bit of a South African thing, very acceptable there!

Sourcerer48 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:36:35

For supper, I often chop up and fry bacon, green pepper, spring onions, mushrooms and tomato, pile them up on toast, cover with grated cheese with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper and put under the grill until the cheese is bubbling.
My family used to love it, now it's just me being self-indulgent!

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:43:04

Minniemoo the Dutch eat a lot of chocolate sprinkles in one form or another in bread. My daughter still loves the white and plain chocolate mixed ones. The Dutch eat a lot of bread and it is the best in the world.