Gransnet forums

Food

M&S price hike

(57 Posts)
Jane43 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:11:33

We love M&S sweet and crunchy salad. I know it’s lazy to buy ready prepared salad but it’s only once a week usually. The price last week was £1.50 but this week it has gone up to £2.00 which is a price hike of 33%. So this is something that will be taken off our shopping list for the foreseeable future. This level of rise seems exorbitant. Anybody else notice huge price increases recently?

SueDonim Fri 09-Aug-19 12:21:38

Yes. We used to eat fairly regularly from M&S but much of their food is now too expensive. On Monday I went in to buy food but ended up putting my trolley back and going to Sainsbury's instead.

My son-in-law is a farmer and I tend to think that with cheap food, someone somewhere is paying the price but M&S prices have been hiked so much with no discernible benefit to anyone except shareholders.

glammanana Fri 09-Aug-19 12:53:57

I do shop at M&S on a regular basis and have found the prices creeping up over the last few months.what I have found is that I never have any waste from the produce I buy and nothing goes off within a few days whereas if I shop at some of the other supermarkets I find say the veg has gone off before the sell by date sometimes.

EllanVannin Fri 09-Aug-19 13:06:07

I'm with you Glamma. I'm not bothered about price rises as I know their stuff isn't going to be binned so for me it works out cheaper in the long run. I throw so much supermarket stuff out.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:37:29

Done the majority of my weekly shop in M & S yesterday, a few items had increased but I like the quality (and GC is collecting the "little shop").

I think Sainsbury's has got expensive lately, I tend to shop between M & S, Waitrose, Aldi and our local butchers. Fish we buy from a local fisherman.

Willow500 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:46:38

I was in M&S's food department yesterday and bought a few bits - as we don't shop there on a regular basis I'm not aware of the prices going up but I do know their stuff is more expensive than other shops but it's usually very good quality. Unfortunately going in there necessitates buying the iced spiced buns which they also serve in their cafes so my waistline stops me shopping there too often! grin

paddyann Fri 09-Aug-19 15:08:50

I only buy the Count On Us range to stock my freezer with emergency diet food.I haven't noticed a price rise.The 3 for £10 promotion is finished and they are £4 ish each .

leyla Fri 09-Aug-19 15:17:30

I rarely buy food from M&S as it is always short dated. Also they never have enough tills open so you have to queue. If I am paying top price for stuff I expect there to be enough tills open to take my money promptly.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 10-Aug-19 10:15:38

Rarely buy food from M&S but I have noticed a creep in prices going up. Went to buy short grain rice for pudding making, use to be 80p. Now its been rebranded as pudding rice and gone up to £1.10. We will just have together use to it as its going to happen to more and more due to B. Not saying he word.

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:16:48

glammanana
Yes indeed. I totally agree.
I swapped much of my food shopping from Waitrose to M&S even though it's much further away, as the waste is minimal and produce longer lasting and tastier.
M&S frozen fish fingers (gluten-free ones) are wonderful, 9 to a pack, the coating is crispy and the fish is in big white flakes. Delicious with ketchup. Even though I am not gluten intolerant, I much prefer them to the Waitrose ones.
M&S flowers are good value too as are their bed-linen and duvets.

inishowen Sat 10-Aug-19 10:21:03

I buy Tesco cheap crisps. They were 78p for a bag of ten. Then they changed the packaging and they shot up to £1. Still good value but changing the packaging shouldn't make the price go up.

4allweknow Sat 10-Aug-19 10:21:04

Prepared lettuce has gone up considerably in a lot of stores. Perhaps the hot weather we had a few weeks ago has affected the supply and it may be a temporary hike.

Jacqui1956 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:21:49

I shop at Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose and Tesco depending on what I want. Personally I think if Aldi and Lidl are good enough for the Germans they are good enough for me! However I can’t always get everything I want in Aldi or Lidl.
I used to shop in M&S but their prices are ridiculous now.
It pays to shop around.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 10-Aug-19 10:23:08

Not just M&S.I have been on line and price checking before shopping at my favourite stores and this appears to be going on elsewhere. This before we 'leave' ?sad.

Theoddbird Sat 10-Aug-19 10:33:49

Shop at Aldi then....hahaha

Sussexborn Sat 10-Aug-19 10:42:55

We get most of our shopping from Lidl. Go to Sainsbury’s probably once a month and then to Tesco for coffee filters as theirs taste better. Annoying thing is that others have worked this out and we’ve recently found the shelf has been cleared. We get most of our meat from the local butcher.

Lidl is just up the road. Sainsbury’s a short drive away. Both fairly new. Until recently we had to drive to the other side of the city for any supermarket.

jaylucy Sat 10-Aug-19 10:58:43

Oh how I would love to be able to shop at M&S. My town was one of those that lost their branch when it closed in May. To shop in M&S now, whichever direction I went would now mean 2 bus journeys instead of just one into the town centre.
Prices for lots of things have been rising in most supermarkets, even Iceland has pushed their prices up for most of their items. Shame that the income hasn't gone up by the same rate!

Joyfulnanna Sat 10-Aug-19 11:13:41

What's the M&S little shop all about? Another rouse to encourage more spending or a good idea for children to learn about shopping?

Greciangirl Sat 10-Aug-19 11:15:28

There’s no getting away from it, M and S are expensive.
For those of us on a limited budget or who have to manage on a pension, it’s just not feasible.

I sometimes treat myself to items with the yellow marked down stickers, but you don’t see many of those either.

kircubbin2000 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:21:09

I spent £40 there this morning on food for a casual lunch tomorrow. I don't like cooking and don't often entertain. Also noticed that the fish pie my gs likes has been reduced in size but not price.

Pudding123 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:21:12

Yesterday I was in Morrison's and was shocked to see they were charging £1 for one large onion.needless to say I didn't buy any.Could anyone enlighten me why they are so expensive ?

Minniemoo Sat 10-Aug-19 11:25:01

I love the M&S Little Shop. I have 8 items now which fill me with glee. Don't let the grandchildren near them! They'd be wrecked in no time.

Love M&S food. Mr. Minniemoo is there as I type.

The food isn't massively over-priced and never gets binned. And their baked beans are the best I've ever had. Oh and the tinned tuna in spring water. No comparison with any other.

I just wish they'd get their act together and do home delivery for food

Calendargirl Sat 10-Aug-19 11:25:32

I too wonder about the M & S Little Shop when I saw the tv advert. My first thought was another racket and also more plastic toy bits to be chucked eventually? Have not seen them in reality though so unsure what they are made of.

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:31:17

Minniemoo

Where have you been?
M&S are are starting food deliveries via Ocado in 2020 when the contract Waitrose currently have with Ocado ends. ?

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:34:01

Calendargirl
Plastic. They're kids toys...unless you're a collector of unusable stuff.
What would an adult do with them?