Gransnet forums

Food

Smelly kitchen

(27 Posts)
Elenkalubleton Mon 12-Aug-19 15:01:21

Recently tasted some chips with truffle “ flakes” on ,always wanted to try truffles,delicious. Went on line,and bought some truffle salt ( real truffles to expensive) it came in a sealed tin,within a box,but the smell is so pungent I don’t know where to store it! I put it in the utility / garage,still stinks.Brought it back in the kitchen put it in another tin,still the pungent smell,it’s getting like the Russian Dolls! Help.Grateful for advice,also recipes.

Riverwalk Mon 12-Aug-19 15:55:33

That'll teach yer, for being posh!

I bought some very expensive Italian truffle mortadella and although delicious it stank the fridge out grin

EllanVannin Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:49

It's the same when I open a tin of Beluga Caviar. Pooooh !

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 18:24:48

I had the same problem last Christmas with some truffle oil that my brother brought back from Croatia.

I marinated some steak in it then went off to have a shower. When I went back to the kitchen there was a strong smell similar to burning candlewax. DH was convinced I'd left something burning and went into 'panic' mode checking all over the place. blush

BradfordLass72 Tue 13-Aug-19 03:26:08

There was a stink in my kitchen a while ago too.

I checked the fridge for truffles and caviar, kimchi and Roquefort but in the end it turned out to be a dead mouse.

grin

Resurgam123 Tue 13-Aug-19 07:12:57

My toast and marmite does not cause that problem .
grin

Esspee Tue 13-Aug-19 07:27:12

Took me three days last week to work out what was causing the acrid smell in my kitchen. It wasn't detectable when you were in there but built up overnight or when you were out and came home.
Eventually traced it to OH's gardening shoes. Curiously they didn't smell when sniffed (well not much and certainly not the smell that was driving us to distraction) but once put into the greenhouse the smell disappeared. Complete mystery.confused

Hetty58 Tue 13-Aug-19 07:40:21

Esspee, those shoes need some bicarbonate of soda in them. I traced a horrid smell to a food recycling bin that I'd taken out to the composter. I'd inadvertently put it down in some fox excrement!

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Aug-19 10:26:21

Put the salt in a jar with a clamp maybe?

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 13-Aug-19 11:35:54

Think there have been a lot of kitchen smells recently with the warmer weather. I open the back door when there is a kitchen smell and put some nice smelling Zoflora down the sink and bought a gel air freshener and put on top of the kitchen units. But I personally think nothing like fresh air to clear an unpleasant smell.

sassenach512 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:51:24

My DH loves kippers and smoked haddock but the kitchen reeks of fish for days after cooking it. I dread visitors coming as I don't think there's much worse than walking into someone's house and getting those fishy smells hitting you.
I try scented candles and air fresheners but it still lingers sad

Minerva Tue 13-Aug-19 14:09:23

BradfordLass ?

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 14:21:36

Bradfordlass grin

I've got a chap in my utility room right now tracing a nasty niff that's been there for some time, despite multiple applications of bleach/soda/boiling water. It's turned out to be exactly what I suggested to dh in the first place. We had new washing machine earlier this year and I reckoned it was the waste pipe. I was spot-on. Am trying not to say 'I told you so!' to dh. grin

HannahLoisLuke Tue 13-Aug-19 16:34:39

Your truffle smell reminds me of when Ibrought back from Germany a bag of dried mushrooms, the ones that look like a walnut, can't remember the name.
I put the bag in the cupboard and forgot about them.
Months later a very nasty smell developed and was eventually traced to the bag of dried mushrooms, now a very pungent dust!

RosieLeah Tue 13-Aug-19 16:51:57

Getting tummy-ache from laughing!

Shizam Tue 13-Aug-19 17:17:58

BradfordLass That is my ultimate nightmare. Would have to chuck fridge out I think.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:35:03

I have just bought a new waste pipe and u-bend for my kitchen sink, as it didn't have a u-bend! Can you believe it?

Smelly foodstuffs are a whole different problem. Perhaps store them in air tight tins in the garden shed?

HazelG Tue 13-Aug-19 17:42:36

Bradfordlass grin lmao

HazelG Tue 13-Aug-19 17:54:04

I too have always fancied tasting truffles, or buying a pig to find them for me to sell, (crazy money making scheme,)
(I get them when I really want something I can't afford.)
I never knew you could get them in any other form, interesting.

I once had a very odd slightly sweet smell that I had trouble locating once. It turned out to be an orange my son, or nephew, had left in a backpack in my son's wardrobe. It had gone mouldy and until the day I discovered it, I had never known they smelled like that.
Sorry, none of this helps you to deal with your truffle salt. Perhaps you could put it into another tin, wrap it in oilcloth, encase it in lead and bury it in your garden until you want to use it. lol :D

quizqueen Tue 13-Aug-19 19:24:09

Maybe just don't buy these smelly foods in the first place!

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 19:43:31

I'm also reminded of when a friend came for Christmas. She insisted on making rosemary & garlic roast potatoes for our Christmas dinner.

She used so much garlic that my dining room stunk of garlic literally for years. We don't use that room often but you could always smell it when you opened the door It didn't properly disappear until we redecorated and had a new carpet. grin

Kim19 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:45:48

BL72. You've done it again. .?

Elenkalubleton Tue 13-Aug-19 21:50:52

HazelG,that made me ? burying it in the garden?
Quizqueen.really didn’t know it would smell like that.
NotSpaggheti.will get a jar with a clamp! Thanks.

glammagran Tue 13-Aug-19 22:42:05

Daughter bought some truffle Brie one year for me at Christmas from Covent Garden. It was so pungent it needed its own fridge!

HiPpyChick57 Wed 14-Aug-19 03:22:55

When dh was alive, during a particularly hot summer we were trying to trace the source of a rancid smell.
We searched everywhere to no avail!
The oven, the bin, the fridge, the back of cupboards. Nowhere!
It wasn’t until I started to experiment with our own version of “hot”and “cold” that I eventually found it.
My dear,dear, dh had only gone and put a roast beef dinner...in the...MICROWAVE ??‍♀️ to eat later and had promptly forgotten about it!!!!! Why not the fridge I don’t know??? ??‍♀️ He’d put it in there on a Sunday so you can imagine the smell when after much searching all day Wednesday (when the smell had become unbearable) until the festering pile of rot was found on the Thursday ???
Why is there not an emoji for ripping your hair out??? ?

Anyway back to today, if you could get them,strike some matches, the sulphur swallows up any bad smell.