Gransnet forums

Food

Pretentious Menu

(56 Posts)
paddyann Wed 14-Aug-19 15:48:27

I've been watching "remarkable places to eat" on BBC,I know I 'm sworn off BBC but my friends son works for Tom Kitchen and his restaurant is featured in the 2nd of the series .Its a really good look at restaurants,the food they produce and the behind the scenes .So far Venice ,Edinburgh ,Paris and San Sebastion have featured.Its worth a watch .

Mossfarr Wed 14-Aug-19 15:33:15

I've just read an article entitled "48 hours in Valletta", Malta.
One of the paragraphs headed 'EAT' went on to describe a 'dinner crane' where a 22 seat platform is suspended above the city. On the menu - lemony ceviche with a touch of chilli and feta foam!! what the hell is "lemony ceviche" or "feta foam"?

That must be the absolute height of pretentiousness (pun intended).

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 15:20:19

I absolutely agree with you Esmerelda. I always see it as a sign that those behind the scenes have no knowledge of food themselves, have hired a third rate chef and assume that the majority of the punters (I use that word advisedly) do not understand good food either and just think complicated foods like those you describe are a sign of 'class'

You are clearly not one of them. If you do go to a really good restaurant, one of its outstanding qualities is usually the simplicity of the food.

At least you won on something that day!!

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 15:16:03

But did they do free wrapped biscuits? And did you bring home a bagful?

EllanVannin Wed 14-Aug-19 14:55:34

You forgot the Rennies at the end of the list.

Esmerelda Wed 14-Aug-19 14:47:11

Time for a rant (if YOU have the time). Had a Day at the Races last week, but I think the chef has slight delusions of grandeur. The menu really makes the mind boggle as some of it, and the accompaniments, are truly bizarre!

Nothing wrong with Sundried Tomato and Basil Profiteroles for the veggie starter I suppose, although a bit pretentious, but it was served with Bloody Mary Coulis and Basil Oil - Parmesan Wafer. Ditto the Roulade of Confit Duck and Foie Gras served with White Onion and Thyme Marmalade - Port Reduction, Parsnip Crisps and Roasted Hazelnuts (although the portions were so tiny I imagine you might only get one hazelnut!). I could go on with the starters, but let's move onto the mains. Imagine ordering the Full English Breakfast (some people did for their main course) and getting an Oak Smoked Bacon Chop, Lansdown Baked Beans - Home-made Brown Sauce, Fried Quails Egg (only one of these tiny eggs, you notice). Not what I would call a Full English! And as for the desserts, well ... nothing wrong with the main description but if you ordered Tea & Cake would you want to get Earl Grey Pannacotta, Lemon Drizzle Eggy Bread, Raspberry Semifreddo - Baked Fig puree? But what really takes the biscuit (and one would no doubt be grateful for a biscuit after the miniscule dots of stuff that were scattered around the plates, whatever you ordered) were the Strawberries and Cream. How could you mess these up, you might wonder? Hmm, serve them as Pickled & Ice Filtered Strawberry Consomme, with Baked Vanillla Cream, Bee Pollen - Black Pepper Meringue 'Kisses' ... actually I don't think you would get any strawberries as such, do you? What pretentious twaddle and just muck, really (and tiny muck at that as I can't overemphasize the acres of white plate confronting one on which these miniscule blobs of ridiculous foodstuffs were placed ... what's Bee Pollen, for heaven's sake, it's surely pollen or do they scrape it off the bees legs?).

Am I being silly to have expected a decent meal for the exhorbitant price we had to pay? I was far from full at the end and, as this was a birthday treat for a friend, I felt extremely embarrassed. That place is definitely off OUR menu for the future.

Still, once the horses started running we had three winners and a second so the racing itself was splendid! ???