Gransnet forums

Food

Panatonni, how do you serve yours?

(27 Posts)
annsixty Mon 20-Jan-20 14:43:18

This is quite urgent so I may not get my answer.
A friend has just rung to ask if she can pop in shortly for a cuppa, she will be passing.
I have a Christmas Panatonni but don’t really like it.
If I offer it, do I butter it or serve it plain?

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:21

Plain. I find it too rich otherwise.

Curlywhirly Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:24

Definitely serve it plain; I think toasting and buttering it is an English thing, I have only ever seen it served plain in Italy.

janeainsworth Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:41

I think you serve it plain, but it’s not something I eat!

Witzend Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:55

Toasted and buttered? OTOH I gather that they make quite a nice bread and butter pudding.

The only one we ever had (a present) eventually mostly went on the bird table. But the birds enjoyed it!

Must say I think it’s very overrated.

Curlywhirly Mon 20-Jan-20 14:49:47

That is of course, if you want to serve it the traditional way! Went in to Cafe Costa and without asking me, they served it toasted with butter - in my opinion, definitely not to be recommended.?

annsixty Mon 20-Jan-20 14:54:23

Thank you all for such quick replies.
I did make last years into a bread and butter pudding and it was delicious.
I will ask but I do have cake as well.
When did they become so popular, hardly anyone seems to like them.

Jane10 Mon 20-Jan-20 15:16:56

I've often wondered that too. It's not a cake and not a tea loaf it's sort of bland and boring texture. Would never buy one. Only ever had one as a gift and suspect it was a regift!
Panforte on the other hand. Yum yum and yum!

Kalu Mon 20-Jan-20 15:25:22

I don’t think my French neighbours and I actually bought Panatonni, we just kept regifting??. The dog liked it?

DoraMarr Mon 20-Jan-20 15:34:45

It’s panettone. It is eaten in Italy with a little glass of vin santo, Marsala, or amaretto, and coffee- rather like Madeira cake and a glass of Madeira. You can make bread and butter pudding with it, great with a splash of one of the wines above. I don’t think it toasts very well. I also don’t think it’s overrated at all- but that’s just my opinion.

Kalu Mon 20-Jan-20 15:40:24

Panettone ??‍♀️ of course DoraMarr ?

kittylester Mon 20-Jan-20 15:41:08

Dh loves it toasted for breakfast! But yes a philistine!

Curlywhirly Mon 20-Jan-20 15:42:23

Well, I for one love it! There is also a chocolate one, which also very nice.

Witzend Mon 20-Jan-20 15:54:48

Must have been unlucky, but the one we were given was terribly dry, so it put me right off. It’s not as though we left it for ages, either - did try to eat it before New Year.

MiniMoon Mon 20-Jan-20 16:16:06

I'm not keen, but my daughter makes a wonderful bread and butter pudding with panettoni.
That, of course, doesn't help you annsixty.

Gagagran Mon 20-Jan-20 16:25:41

We love it and have it sliced and buttered like a tea bread. It is nice in a bread and butter pudding too. I think the supermarket ones can be a bit dry and lack fruit but if you find a good one with mixed peel and large sultanas in it is delicious.

annsixty Mon 20-Jan-20 16:57:14

This was a chocolate one, we ate it, that’s about all I can say!!

Luckygirl Mon 20-Jan-20 16:59:13

They make delicious bread pudding.

If we have it for Christmas I soak it in brandy over the preceding week, then put mascarpone in the middle and melted choc on top - a great family favourite!

shysal Mon 20-Jan-20 17:16:56

I love it toasted and buttered, so another Philistine here!

Callistemon Mon 20-Jan-20 18:04:52

I bought one once after Christmas because someone said it made lovely bread and butter pudding. It was still in date
When I opened it, it was completely mouldy.

I hope yours was ok annsixty!

Callistemon Mon 20-Jan-20 18:05:52

Oh, I see you ate it.

I'm glad it was ok.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Jan-20 18:13:29

I ve never eaten one I ll have to give it a try I ve bought one as my friend told me she loved it so I got her one but never tasted it myself

gulligranny Mon 20-Jan-20 18:16:50

It's absolutely delicious, best eaten plain. We have one awaiting our attention, but we haven't quite finished the (very boozy) Christmas cake yet so it will have to wait a bit longer.

nonnasusie Mon 20-Jan-20 19:16:52

The shops are full of reduced ones here! We sometimes have it toasted for breakfast and they do make good bread and butter pudding! I still prefer Christmas cake and mince pies although I have to make both as they are unavailable here!

JackyB Mon 20-Jan-20 20:40:39

I dunk it.