Gransnet forums

Food

Food in the fridge

(34 Posts)
Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 08:11:37

What do you all keep in your fridge as a go to snack or meal, I have a freezer full of stuff that would need defrosting before I could cook it but I want to have food in the fridge that's ready to eat but won't go off, I have the usual cheese, eggs and sometimes cold meats, Any suggestions please,

LullyDully Tue 21-Jan-20 08:20:11

Carrot batons are handy.

Sara65 Tue 21-Jan-20 08:24:09

I’ve always got some jars of pesto, gorgeous just with pasta and Parmesan, but if I’ve got it, I add chicken or mushrooms or pancetta, it’s my emergency meal.

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Jan-20 08:25:11

Fresh soup. Bacon ( which usually lasts a while) Maybe some snacks such as sausage rolls, pasties, scotch eggs etc. Salad items. Mushrooms,onions, bacon or cold meats can be combined with pasta and a tomato sauce ( I always have passata or chopped tinned tomatoes in the cupboard) to make a meal. Eggs and cheese/mushrooms will always make an omelette.

grannypiper Tue 21-Jan-20 08:32:00

So many different cheeses, beetroot slices and pate.

Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 08:36:24

Lully, I don't think I could live on carrot batons !! ?

glammanana Tue 21-Jan-20 08:36:29

Mushrooms,eggs,red onions,bacon and a jug of homemade soup and a block of cheese all make for an easy lunch menu.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jan-20 08:39:11

(My vegan fridge)
Houmous, tofu, kale, spinach, broccoli, Oatley milk, mushrooms, kombucha, flora dairy-free, carrots, peppers, onions, loads of condiments and sauces - and a roll of home made biscuit dough to slice and bake.

Yehbutnobut Tue 21-Jan-20 09:31:23

I don’t keep any vegetables in the fridge. They live in the veg rack and get used up pretty quickly anyway. To keep them refrigerated they would have to be in some kind of container or wrap or come already in plastic.

We avoid plastic wrapped veg and only buy loose.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:34:57

Yehbutnobut, that's what the salad drawer at the bottom is for! I don't buy wrapped either. Spuds are stored in the garage.

Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 09:54:46

Thankyou for all your suggestions , I will rewrite my shopping list this morning and head off to Lidl to restock my fridge, Lully, I really should eat carrot batons to shift the Christmas weight that's still hanging around !

JessK Tue 21-Jan-20 09:57:23

Varieties of fresh pasta are a good standby and cold meats (if you're not vegetarian) to compliment the cheeses. Peppers and mushrooms too.

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 10:56:43

I keep my unwrapped vegetables in one salad drawer, except for onions.
The onions are in a basket.
I empty them out of the net bags but I suppose you could buy another set of bags and keep them in those in the fridge.

Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 15:37:33

Just an update for all of you who were kind enough to reply to my question of food in the fridge,, just back from Lidl with, Pastrami , ham,, Camembert cheese and bread sticks, pasta , salad stuff , sausage rolls, ready to bake rolls, oh and I made some leek and potato soup this morning for lunch , so I guess we won't go hungry this week and DH is very happy peering in to the fridge, Thankyou all for your suggestions , I think I just needed some inspiration to get motivated ,

SalsaQueen Tue 21-Jan-20 17:26:30

I've got yoghurts, Quark (I like it with banana and honey), chocolate mousses, BabyBel

M0nica Tue 21-Jan-20 17:32:00

Cheese, and that is all. I try not to snack. just eat meals of sufficient volume to fill me up until the next one.

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 18:53:34

Cheese (various including feta for me) olives, chutney, yogurts and some ham for DH.
Eggs
Salad ingredients, ie lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes, peppers etc.

Nothing really ready to eat without preparation though.

GrannyLaine Tue 21-Jan-20 18:58:00

Cadbury's buttons, Ferrero Rocher, Snickers, After Eights.

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 18:59:02

GrannyLaine grin

Actually, I just checked and DH has sneaked some snickers into the fridge!

GrannyLaine Tue 21-Jan-20 19:02:39

Good man! No preparation required......grin

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 19:04:10

Very naughty

He says he needs to lose weight then sneaks them in and hides them in the fridge door

TerriBull Tue 21-Jan-20 19:10:44

Grapes, chunks of cucumber and tiny tomatoes, houmus, yoghurts, but most of all cheese, any kind, I wish I could leave it alone, it's my absolute downfall sad

JuliaM Tue 21-Jan-20 19:42:17

Cold meats, several varieties of cheese, yogurts, bag of mixed salad leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, carrots, mushrooms, half a jar of black cherry conserve, butter, eggs, potatoes in the salad draw, pot of double cream to make chicken liver Pate with Cointreau tomorrow, and several bottles and jars of sauces and condiments (chicken livers still in freezer until morning) fresh milk and Orange and Mango juice for breakfasts.

annep1 Tue 21-Jan-20 22:00:15

I don't keep much in the fridge. Eggs, cheeses, cranberries, yoghurt. Salad drawer onions green veg potatoes. Sometimes olives, pesto , hummus tomatoes sliced meats.. plus milk jam sauce etc.
Today homemade veg soup.
I take meat or fish out of the freezer or buy fresh each day. I keep fish fingers frozen baked potatoes and chips for emergencies.
Theres no need to keep a lot if there are only two of you. I have standby tinned soup rice and tuna in the cupboard.
And chocolate. Must have dark chocolate.

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 23:07:29

I have some blueberries in my fridge which keep shouting "eat me, I'm good for you"
Perhaps with Greek yogurt for breakfast.