Gransnet forums

Food

Flour

(40 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 04-Apr-20 09:22:11

Anybody manage to get hold of flour lately, if so, where did you get it? It seems all the supermarkets are listing it as "out of stock" I have some but would love to get hold of some more self raising I'm committed to making a couple of family member birthday cakes (to be dropped off on doorsteps nearby)

Maybe I should add not interested in buying it off ebay at £14 a bag grin damn cheek!

TerriBull Fri 01-May-20 17:05:25

I bought a kg of McDougall's plain flour in Marks yesterday, really surprised to see that back on the shelf. Also managed to secure a Tesco delivery slot for next week, self raising is listed as in stock so have ordered some of that as well, however no brown sugar, apart from the cubes for coffee. Still mustn't grumble, minor annoyance.

annodomini Fri 01-May-20 17:01:50

At the back of a cupboard, I found a pack of instant dried yeast, 2 years out of date, but I put it in a dish with some water and sugar and it worked as planned. I had to use plain flour and the first loaf turned out to be good and tasty. Second time round, I may have left it in the oven a little too long and it was so 'crusty' I could have done with a chains saw! Some of it made good garlic croutons. I got some more plain flour, on DS2's recommendation, from a company, Cream solutions, but their delivery charge is rather high and they didn't have any strong or wholemeal flour. I'm thinking of having a go at some flatbreads. I used to make pittas in the days when I needed a packed lunch.

dragonfly46 Fri 01-May-20 16:59:05

Amazon have flour - I got a big bag.

Annie26 Fri 01-May-20 16:54:07

When I did my Tesco online order the only SR flour available was their basic one. I ordered two but got 3 packets of coconut flour which cost £10.50 more. It was price matched so I didn't have to pay the extra and my daughter likes cooking with coconut flour so am swapping it for some of her SR flour. So we are both happy!

Purplepixie Fri 01-May-20 16:45:58

I managed to get flour from our local farm shop. Good luck ?

Marydoll Fri 01-May-20 16:44:24

My daughter has just arrived with plain and SR flour from Lidl.

Tesco had none in my online order today.
She managed to get bread flour last week.

Puzzler61 Fri 01-May-20 16:39:47

Our local Tesco’s had Plain flour last Monday and DH got a 1 kg bag for a neighbour. Not a brand I’d heard of before and can’t remember the name.
Self raising : I got 2x 500 gym bags of Sainsbury’s own brand with my weekly grocery delivery (from Sainsbury’s).

kissngate Fri 01-May-20 16:34:09

www.nabim.org.uk/consumers/where-can-i-buy-flour/

Teetime Tue 28-Apr-20 14:36:45

I get flour in my Ocado order now (I bought a delivery pass last year so they have eventually given me regular slots)

SueDonim Tue 28-Apr-20 14:34:25

Is this of any use to you?

www.nabim.org.uk/news/article/1926/where-can-i-buy-flour

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Apr-20 14:24:33

I keep ordering gram (chickpea) flour in my Sainsburys online orders to have a go at one of Nadiya’s recipes that I really fancy. It’s been in my trolley 3 times now but keeps falling out somewhere between the store and our house. If anyone finds it, could you let me know?

Redhead56 Tue 28-Apr-20 14:06:45

No flour where we live and hasn't been for weeks.

Julie64 Tue 28-Apr-20 13:38:52

I know this is an old post now, but has anyone in Lincoln managed to get any SR flour? I’ve tried everywhere!

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 12:35:53

No flour at all in Lidl.

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 12:20:28

Put in my grocery order today (had a slot booked, but hadn't done my order because they're now asking for no amendments once an order is placed).

I ordered about 12 different types of flour, because I knew some would be out of stock. Wrong. They're ALL out of stock. No flour at all. No plain, self raising, bread flour.

A friend is going to Lidl today for his weekly shop. I've given him a list of things I can't get at all. Hopefully he'll be able to get a couple of them.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 09:21:50

Tesco delivered two types of bread flour yesterday and some yeast. There are recipes on the web for soda or potatoe bread without yeast, But of course you do need flour. I think that things are getting back to normal on the supermarket front

jusnoneed Sun 05-Apr-20 09:03:17

I managed to get some In Lidls on Thursday, first I've seen in the last few weeks. They didn't have loads but Plain and SR. Not a sign of any in Tesco.

Pikachu Sun 05-Apr-20 07:51:12

I’ve found a source locally. The little bakery/bread shop in town buys it in 10kg packets and sold us some loose. I took along two 1.5kg empty packets and bought wholemeal bread flour and self raising flour.

Worth asking.

Txquiltz Sun 05-Apr-20 07:42:39

Can rice be ground finely enough in a food processor to make rice flour?

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 07:37:24

You can add baking powder to plain to make it SR, assuming you can get the BP of course.

Rosalyn69 Sun 05-Apr-20 07:33:44

So far I’ve been lucky with coconut flour and almond flour. I don’t bake bread.

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Apr-20 05:21:24

Waitrose have had flour for the last 2 weeks where I shop ( and eggs)

paddyanne Sat 04-Apr-20 23:31:07

I buy cake making stuff online from a company called Sugar and Crumbs ,they e-mailed me today saying they had all types of flour in stock.1'5 K of professional SR flour is £1.99 Service is excellent

Susan56 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:08:36

We got self raising flour in our delivery from Asda yesterday.

SueDonim Sat 04-Apr-20 22:21:00

I got bread flour at a local farm-type shop this week. No yeast, though.

Oddly enough, gluten free flour was the only flour left on the shelf last time I went to the supermarket.