Gransnet forums

Food

Flour

(39 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 04-Apr-20 09:22:11

Anybody manage to get hold of flour lately, if so, where did you get it? It seems all the supermarkets are listing it as "out of stock" I have some but would love to get hold of some more self raising I'm committed to making a couple of family member birthday cakes (to be dropped off on doorsteps nearby)

Maybe I should add not interested in buying it off ebay at £14 a bag grin damn cheek!

GagaJo Sat 04-Apr-20 09:24:50

Me too! My bloke is still going out to do his weekly shopping so I’m going to ask him to see if he can get me some. I need plain, self raising and strong bread flour. And some tinned tomatoes. Most other things, I’ve got.

shysal Sat 04-Apr-20 09:25:03

Is there an independent bakery near you? There is one in my village, who usually has various types in stock. Good luck.

Missfoodlove Sat 04-Apr-20 09:35:22

I have bread flour from our local whole food ship and SR and plain flour fro Waitrose. I did have to buy the bloody Duchy stuff at £1.75 a bag, all that was left?

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 09:54:44

The problem is that most supermarket only have a small stock, the millers package most it into large sacks or indeed bulk for the commercial bakers and bread makers.
Now everyone wants flour for home baking there isn’t enough packaging capacity for small bags.

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 09:58:29

Gluten free flour is out of stock as well.

travelsafar Sat 04-Apr-20 10:03:38

Like wise, some people have struggled to get eggs.

Have the chickens stopped laying??????

Jane43 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:08:45

I got some SR flour in Aldi yesterday and Morrisons have it as well. We have never had a problem getting eggs and over the past few weeks have got them from Sainsburys, Aldi and Iceland.

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 10:10:46

Eggs, again a lot are used by caterers and bakers, packaged in large quantities or in bulk liquid, hard to switch to retail packaging.
One grandson has chickens, the eggs keep family supplied, we keep him supplied with cakes.

lefthanded Sat 04-Apr-20 10:14:28

I bake my own bread (with a breadmaker) and I always buy my flour direct from Wessex Mills. I sure they sell all sorts of flours. Look them up online.

MiniMoon Sat 04-Apr-20 10:16:39

If you can't find flour, it might be an idea to approach your local pub or a cafe near you. Anyone that serve and make food on their premises may well have ingredients that you can buy from them.
It's worth a try anyway.

TerriBull Sat 04-Apr-20 10:18:23

Thanks all for the feed back, particularly your suggestion Shysal, of contacting local independent bakery, I wouldn't have thought of that. There is one nearby so may give that a go.

Before the lock down, I always did a weekly shop in Sainsburys where I could find McDougall's "sponge flour" my go to choice for cakes and of course as you say Davidhs, everyone wants to do some home baking at the moment. There certainly wasn't any shortage of manufactured cakes in Marks the other day.

However, to use the old adage "mustn't grumble" I have managed to get most things I need just not flour. I haven't ventured to the either the large Sainsburys or Waitrose nearby where I would normally shop for most things but have been using a smaller local Sainsbury and fairly large Marks food hall in my local high street and other nearby places, choosing optimum times to minimise contact.

Fennel Sat 04-Apr-20 22:10:06

I'm making do with what I've got - a small amount of proper bread flour, mostly wholemeal, and lots of Bero white SR flour. To make bread. There's an independent bakery near us and they still sell fresh yeast, in small packs, once a week.
I've made one lot of bread with the SR flour and it turned out ok. Fair texture but a bit flat and chewy.

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 22:15:41

I've ordered a bag of rice flour from Sainsbury's. It's good for bulking out gf flour so would probably work with ordinary flour as well.

That's if it arrives.

SueDonim Sat 04-Apr-20 22:21:00

I got bread flour at a local farm-type shop this week. No yeast, though.

Oddly enough, gluten free flour was the only flour left on the shelf last time I went to the supermarket.

Susan56 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:08:36

We got self raising flour in our delivery from Asda yesterday.

paddyanne Sat 04-Apr-20 23:31:07

I buy cake making stuff online from a company called Sugar and Crumbs ,they e-mailed me today saying they had all types of flour in stock.1'5 K of professional SR flour is £1.99 Service is excellent

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Apr-20 05:21:24

Waitrose have had flour for the last 2 weeks where I shop ( and eggs)

Rosalyn69 Sun 05-Apr-20 07:33:44

So far I’ve been lucky with coconut flour and almond flour. I don’t bake bread.

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 07:37:24

You can add baking powder to plain to make it SR, assuming you can get the BP of course.

Txquiltz Sun 05-Apr-20 07:42:39

Can rice be ground finely enough in a food processor to make rice flour?

Pikachu Sun 05-Apr-20 07:51:12

I’ve found a source locally. The little bakery/bread shop in town buys it in 10kg packets and sold us some loose. I took along two 1.5kg empty packets and bought wholemeal bread flour and self raising flour.

Worth asking.

jusnoneed Sun 05-Apr-20 09:03:17

I managed to get some In Lidls on Thursday, first I've seen in the last few weeks. They didn't have loads but Plain and SR. Not a sign of any in Tesco.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 09:21:50

Tesco delivered two types of bread flour yesterday and some yeast. There are recipes on the web for soda or potatoe bread without yeast, But of course you do need flour. I think that things are getting back to normal on the supermarket front

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 12:20:28

Put in my grocery order today (had a slot booked, but hadn't done my order because they're now asking for no amendments once an order is placed).

I ordered about 12 different types of flour, because I knew some would be out of stock. Wrong. They're ALL out of stock. No flour at all. No plain, self raising, bread flour.

A friend is going to Lidl today for his weekly shop. I've given him a list of things I can't get at all. Hopefully he'll be able to get a couple of them.