Gransnet forums

Food

Burns Night

(14 Posts)
iMac Mon 07-Jan-13 15:09:15

Hi. I have the in-laws visiting at the end of January and thought it would be nice to rustle up something traditionally Scottish on Burns Night (they're Scottish).

Does anyone have any recipes for starter/main/dessert? I couldn't find much on the GN recipes section..

Anne58 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:19:41

Surely haggis for mains! Arbroath smokies for starter, Atholl Brose tart for dessert?

Granny23 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:21:18

A traditional Burns Supper would usually comprise Scotch Broth, Haggis, Neeps and Champit Tatties (i.e.swede and mashed potatoes) followed by cranach, trifle or Scottish Cheese and oatcakes, with shortbread or tablet served with the coffee. Cranach is toasted oatmeal + raspberries swirled into whipped cream and served in a sundae or wine glass - very delicious it is too.

For those who are not overly fond of Haggis, like me, a good alternative is to make balmoral chicken, which is just roast chicken breast stuffed with haggis. Alternatively do the Haggis, Neeps and Tatties as a starter, the 3 things piled up in a little stack and a miniature Saltire stuck in the top.

iMac Mon 07-Jan-13 15:21:54

Sounds delish. Do you have the recipe for those?

Anne58 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:26:26

Here's one
cookeatshare.com/recipes/atholl-brose-tart-71299

Anne58 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:30:50

This isn't Arbroath Smokies, but it is made with smoked salmon and smoked haddock. Mr P & I have this every Christmas for "brunch", although it is supposed to be a starter. The recipe will make 8, but is easily halved.

They are truly delicious! We just have brown bread & butter with them, but you could serve with some watercress and hollandaise sauce.

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/fish-and-seafood/haddock/smoked-fish-creams.html

Granny23 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:37:09

That should be Cranachan of course [tsk, tsk]

Elegran Mon 07-Jan-13 16:27:58

Somewhere I have a recipe for an Arbroath smokie tart. If I can find it i will put it into the recipes section (but it is not complicated - smokie flesh taken off the bones and put into a pastry case with the eggs/milk mix you would use for a quiche, and baked golden brown. There may have been refinements to that, but not anything essential)

iMac Tue 08-Jan-13 09:39:08

Brilliant! Thank you all smile

I'll look out for your recipe Elegran.

Grannyknot Tue 08-Jan-13 10:38:00

We went across Scotland on a Dutch barge on the Caledonian Canal a couple of years ago (smashing activity holiday) and had loads of traditional food made by the cook. Here's her one for Cranachan, serves 4:

400gr fresh raspberries (or other but raspberries are traditional)
100gr castor sugar
100g toasted oatmeal
250ml double cream
4 tablespoons whisky

Put the cream and half the whisky and half the sugar into a bowl and whip until forms soft peaks. Add the remaining whisky and sugar and whip till thick, gently fold in the oatmeal and raspberries.

Refrigerate for an hour and serve (she would serve to the guests on the barge in separate glasses, so she must have spooned them into the glasses before she refrigerated). Sprinkle with bit of oatmeal on top. Yummy.

kittylester Tue 08-Jan-13 11:12:48

DH proposed after a Burns Night Supper. We had only known each other for six weeks but drink had been taken ;)

Elegran Tue 08-Jan-13 15:36:32

iMac I can't find the blessed recipe for smokie tart, but I Googled "Arbroath smokie tart" and there were several versions which all sounded delicious.

muddyboots Tue 08-Jan-13 15:56:29

iMac I've just added a couple of recipes to the Gransnet recipe list you might like for Burns Night.

annodomini Tue 08-Jan-13 15:57:02

You can also make a nice paté with smokies. Creme fraiche or philly plus a squeeze of lemon. I also do this with hot smoked salmon (good value at Aldi).