Gransnet forums

Food

Fresh Figs

(20 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Aug-17 18:11:28

I have just been left some cooking apples by my BIL
On top of apples he has also placed half a dozen ripe figs.

No problem re the apples,
but I would be more than grateful for GNers ideas and recipes for the figs. smile

aggie Mon 21-Aug-17 18:18:19

BBC good food site has luscious recipes , I like them very ripe raw

Smithy Mon 21-Aug-17 18:28:29

I had raw figs in Cyprus for breakfast, straight from the tree. Delicious with a little natural yoghurt.

phoenix Mon 21-Aug-17 18:33:58

My little fig tree sets fruits, but they drop off when still small and unripe.

Friends in Surrey have a huge very productive fig tree, they eat some ripe, make jams & chutneys with some and freeze some too! I don't think they have gone as far as making home made syrup of figs though......

ffinnochio Mon 21-Aug-17 18:34:30

Good with goats cheese.

Mamie Mon 21-Aug-17 18:46:45

Before I went low carb I used to layer sliced figs, cream and dark brown sugar and leave it in the fridge overnight.
For lunch today in a low carb special, I made a salad of leaves, toms, avocado, walnuts, blue cheese and figs from the garden.

Iam64 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:12:16

I love figs. There is a good recipe for figs with goats cheese on a pastry base. High calories but absolutely delicious.

Welshwife Mon 21-Aug-17 19:32:03

Black figs are the best - beautiful rich colour inside too. We have Turkish fig trees in our garden copious fruit but difficult to know when to pick as too early and not so much flavour and too late and the hornets and wasps have had a feast!

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:52:40

Whatever you decide to do with them, please don't send them to me

Thank you anyway.

Stansgran Mon 21-Aug-17 20:05:46

I made a beautiful chutney with them one year when they were very cheap. It was in the Waitrose magazine
www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/f/fig_chutney.html

grannylyn65 Mon 21-Aug-17 20:17:29

jalima confused

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Aug-17 20:18:24

grin
I like most things but not figs!!

annsixty Mon 21-Aug-17 20:25:42

I love them just as they are ,delicious.
Jamie O has a recipe cooked with boneless loin of pork. Nice with Parma ham,in fact lots of ways.

Moocow Mon 21-Aug-17 20:53:04

Just peel and eat, delicious!

Moocow Mon 21-Aug-17 20:53:47

Sorry meant bite and eat.

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Aug-17 10:35:38

Thanks all for your ideas
mamie I love the sound of figs cream and sugar,
but I have to lose some weight before the middle of September so I think that I should really go down the salad and Parma ham route.
However as my sister (her figs bush/tree) is a better cook than me I am going to suggest that she checks out stansgrans Waitrose link and the chutney recipes.
Ann If I'm lucky enough to receive any more figs then I'm thinking that a loin of pork a la Mr Oliver may be just right for a Sunday lunch.
jamila If not a fign I can share a cooking apple
Phoenix Homemade syrup of figs would have been my grandmother's first thought!

Thanks Gners for sharing.
I'm off now to check out the cooking apple thead. smile

grannyticktock Tue 22-Aug-17 11:12:20

Slice the figs, drizzle with a little honey and lemon juice, and bake in the oven for about 20 mins. Serve with ice cream or creme fraiche.

Auntieflo Tue 22-Aug-17 11:18:50

What a treat. You could always send them to me smile
Just eat with thick plain greek yogurt and honey. Mmmmm.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:38:24

I am inundated with cooking apples, trying to give them away!
Thank you Cherrytree

Perhaps that's why I don't like figs, Syrup of Figs was one of mother's remedies

However, cherries are one of my favourite fruits if you have a tree laden with them smile
Off to the cooking apple thread now.

BBbevan Tue 22-Aug-17 12:19:30

Love figs and so pleased we have a fig tree in our new house. Baked , then a dollop of cream or Greek yogurt and a tiny, tiny drizzle of honey. Sublime