Gransnet forums

Food

Fondant Icing recipe

(21 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 14-Dec-17 16:41:04

I seem to have lost my very old recipe for Fondant Icing. As far as I can remember the ingredients were Icing sugar, Glycerine, Liquid glucose and Lemon juice. But, what quantities? Can anyone help please?

paddyann Thu 14-Dec-17 17:38:41

I gave up making it ,you can buy very good fondant nowadays ,try Sweet success ,they do some great icings and fillings .Online and delivered to you

Greyduster Thu 14-Dec-17 17:53:19

What paddyann says. Life is too short to make it!

Auntieflo Thu 14-Dec-17 18:47:01

Oh! GN's don't let me down. We were out buying a new sat nav lead this morning, don't ask, and there was a supermarket nearby, so I popped in and bought Liquid Glucose, ready to get going going this afternoon, and my recipe folder has lost it. Blast etc. ( other expletives are available), I used to enjoy making it, so asked Mr Google. He wasn't any help, pointing me in the way if stuff made with marshmallows??? Asked DD, she pointed me towards St.Delia. Not the one I'm looking for.
So, I may have to give in and buy the wretched stuff. So now, what do I do with a tube of Liquid Glucose? Only polite answers please.

jusnoneed Thu 14-Dec-17 20:04:30

Found this recipe by putting your ingredients into search

1 Egg white
450g Icing sugar
50g liquid Glucose
Flavouring/colouring

Sift sugar into basin. Make well in middle add softened glucose, egg white and flavouring. Beat until stiff paste. Turn onto surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, knead into paste.

Auntieflo Thu 14-Dec-17 22:12:43

And breathe..... That sounds like it, I had forgotten the egg white. Jusnoneed, you may be my Christmas star. ?✨??

Bathsheba Thu 14-Dec-17 22:21:06

My faithful Mrs Beeton's Cookery and Household Management has this:

1 lb loaf sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 pt water
1 1/2 teasp. glucose or a good pinch of cream of tartar

Dissolve the sugar in the water over a low heat, add glucose or cream of tartar, bring to boil quickly, and boil to 237 deg F. Pour onto an oiled or wetted slab, let it cool slightly (if worked when too hot it will grain), and work well with a palette knife, keeping the mass together as much as possible. When the paste is sufficiently cool, knead well with hands. Wrap in paper and store in an airtight tin.
When required put into a basin over a saucepan containing sufficient hot water to come half-way up the sides of the basin. Store over a very low heat until icing has the consistency of thick cream. Flavour and colour as required. Allow to co0l slightly before using.

It sounds complicated, but is very simple - I used to make fondant creams with this recipe, and peppermint creams. They were always perfect!

Bathsheba Thu 14-Dec-17 22:23:11

Also, bear in mind that these days making icing of any sort using raw egg white might be considered a health risk.

PinkThing Fri 15-Dec-17 10:13:13

Is it fondant icing you are after or royal icing? Royal icing usually contains egg white but I don't think fondant does.

loopyloo Fri 15-Dec-17 10:18:25

You can buy little sachets of sterile egg white. Now can anyone tell me with ready roll icing over marzipan how do I make it stick ? With apricot glaze?

mumofmadboys Fri 15-Dec-17 10:58:13

Yes apricot glaze or I use a bit of warmed golden syrup depending on what I have in.

paddyann Fri 15-Dec-17 12:33:15

I like marmalade as a glaze on a fruit cake ,the flavour is better I think

SueDonim Fri 15-Dec-17 12:40:39

If I don't have any apricot jam in the house, I make a marmalade glaze for the marzipan layer. It's just as effective.

jusnoneed Fri 15-Dec-17 12:43:10

You can make it with Gelatine rather than egg.
Makes 1kg of fondant icing

4 tbsp cold water
1 sachet or 4 tsp powdered gelatine (or vegetarian version)
125ml liquid glucose
1 tbsp glycerine
1kg icing sugar, sieved, plus extra for dusting

1. Place the water in a small heatproof bowl, sprinkle over the gelatine and leave it to soak until spongy.
2. Stand the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the gelatine is dissolved.
3. Add the glucose and glycerine, stirring until well blended, and the mixture is runny.
4. Put the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Carefully pour the liquid ingredients into the icing sugar, stirring constantly. Mix well to ensure all the icing sugar is combined.
5. Tip the fondant paste onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar and knead it until smooth and stiff. Sprinkle with extra icing sugar if the fondant becomes too sticky.
6. You can add a few drops or pinpricks of food colouring or flavourings at this point, and knead until fully incorporated throughout the fondant.
7. Use the fondant straightaway or wrap it tightly in cling-film and store somewhere cool and dry until needed.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Dec-17 18:14:48

Well, the cake is iced. I used Jusnoneed's recipe, above. I didn't have gelatine sachets, just the sheets. So, I used 2, and not all of 1kg icing sugar. Then ploughed ahead, getting lovely and sticky, kneading until smooth. Rolled it out and plonked it over the cake. Just needs to dry out now, then I will have a go at making bits and pieces with the icing remnants, if I don't eat them first. Thanks all for your hints and tips.

jusnoneed Fri 15-Dec-17 18:18:26

I hope it turns out ok now! I wouldn't of thought there were so many ways of making icing until I started searching lol.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Dec-17 23:01:03

Thanks, Jusnoneed, I'll let you know, but half of it will probably going to DD, after Christmas, as she has not made one this year.

SueDonim Fri 15-Dec-17 23:54:58

Auntieflo what size cake did that amount cover?

I don't like bought fondant as it seems to have an aftertaste and this sounds a good recipe.

jusnoneed Sat 16-Dec-17 08:36:16

I was watching the programme on last night about the sweet makers and one of the things they made - fondant lol.

Auntieflo Tue 19-Dec-17 08:57:14

Apologies SueDonim, have just seen your post. My cake was made in an 8" tin. I left it uncovered, except for a sheet of baking paper over the top, for a day or so. Now it is hardened, hopefully not too much, and will decorate it today

SueDonim Tue 19-Dec-17 12:18:36

Thank you, Auntieflo! Merry Christmas to you, when it comes! cupcake