Gransnet forums

Food

What’s for lunch?

(43 Posts)
mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 19:28:08

What do you have for lunch? Are you a sandwich eater or do you have something else? I’m looking for inspiration to ditch sandwiches so ideas please.

wildswan16 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:32:58

Are you at home or is this for a packed lunch?

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 19:35:27

I always have home made soup in the freezer but often forget to get it out so have tuna mayo sandwiches in stead. Or, toasted cheese and hame paying! So inspiration would be good fir me too.

mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 20:00:17

At home wildswan16 but we are both lifelong sarnie eaters - years of grabbing lunch from a coffee shop etc.

paddyann Mon 15-Jan-18 20:28:58

it was homemade chicken rice and sweetcorn soup today and brie and spring onion toasted cheese ,scotch broth made for tomorrow and home cooked boiled ham open salad sandwiches

annsixty Mon 15-Jan-18 21:15:18

We eat very sparingly at lunch. My H likes it early, preferably at 12 noon.
I am not usually ready so we just have soup or a sandwich, never both.
I just have a piece of fruit as well.
If I go out for lunch, very rare, but now and then, I will not eat again that day.
Sandwiches will be cheese and tomato or pickle, tuna or cooked meat. Occasionally boiled eggs.
I should weigh 8st, sadly I don't.

BBbevan Mon 15-Jan-18 21:15:45

I don't eat many carbs, so sandwiches are out. Soup is filling, boiled eggs with asparagus soldiers, omelettes, ham, cheese and an Apple or pear. Or my favourite scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

Polly99 Mon 15-Jan-18 21:34:28

About twice a week I make a large pot of various different soups. I recently bought some microwave soup mugs. They are so quick and easy to heat up in about 3 minutes, and make a healthy and delicious lunch.

Charleygirl Mon 15-Jan-18 21:48:03

One day it may be cheese and an apple or a pear, another a cheese omelette or it could be cereal- whatever I fancy and is available. I very rarely have a sandwich for lunch- many days I forget because I had a late breakfast of toast and marmalade.

Grannyknot Mon 15-Jan-18 21:52:01

Avo on toast with a poached egg on top (today, yum). Kiwi fruit afterwards.

A favourite is cream crackers, cheese and grapes or an apple.

lemongrove Mon 15-Jan-18 21:52:48

Hame paying Kitty ......a Leicestershire delicacy? grin

mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 21:52:54

OH is needing to ditch carbs I think so I need to change my lifelong habit of using bread as a basis for lunch. It’s so hard! How do people do it?

lemongrove Mon 15-Jan-18 21:55:28

If at home then anything simple and quick, cheese on toast,
Scrambled eggs, soup and toast ( or the ever popular sandwich.)An apple or banana as well.

Floradora9 Mon 15-Jan-18 22:00:53

Mollie I bake potatoes halve them then freeze them , they are never really big ones , then take one half out and microwave it for 2 and a half minutes . I find this along with salad and a small amount of cold meat or egg keeps me going . I miss having rolls or bread and this seems to be a good substitute . Lidl sell high protein low carb rolls which I froze then had a half of them toasted but I got so fed up of them . Soup plus oatcakes is good as well .

Niobe Mon 15-Jan-18 22:15:09

Floradora, I actually like the Lidl protein rolls but I can't eat a whole one so I slice them into 3 slices and make a sandwich with 2 of the slices and a low carb filling e.g. Egg and tomato, ham and salad etc. I find that keeps me going until my evening meal around 6pm. More importantly , as a Type 2 diabetic, my blood sugar hardly moves. These rolls contain a lot of linseeds so keep me regular too.

M0nica Mon 15-Jan-18 22:16:04

Home made soup, baked potatoes with a wide variety of fillings, stuffed veg (peppers, tomatoes, aubergines, mushrooms with a wide variety of fillings) omelettes of all kinds, homemade pizzas based on small pittas as the base, veg curry and small naan bread, anything on toast (eggs, beans, spaghetti, tomatoes, mushrooms, sardines, pilchards, cheese). Quick small stirfry, salads.

mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 22:25:23

Thank you, some lovely, tasty ideas here. I can’t imagine lunch that doesn’t have a sandwich at its centre but I need to try!

kittylester Tue 16-Jan-18 07:35:57

Toasted cheese and ham sandwich!!!

OldMeg Tue 16-Jan-18 07:42:05

mollie is trying to ditch the carbs Monica ?

Quick and easy is soup of course. Also why not save a small portion of what you had for dinner/tea the night before and just heat that up. Salads are quick and easy too.

One of my favourites a tub of taramasalata and a couple of sticks of celery to scoop it up with.

BBbevan Tue 16-Jan-18 09:40:22

Floradora9. Potatoes are solid carbs. So on a low carb diet baked potatoes are out. If fact anything that grows below ground can only be eaten occasionally.

KatyK Tue 16-Jan-18 10:05:06

When I was working I ate far more healthily than I do since I've retired. I used to make myself a large salad which took ages to eat, followed by a yoghurt and fruit. Now it's a sandwich of whatever happens to be there and maybe some soup. DH and I go out once a week for lunch as well - and I wonder why I'm gaining weight!

henetha Tue 16-Jan-18 10:10:33

Soup and crackers.
Cheese on toast.
Omlette.
And I make a large bowl of pasta salad and have some
each day with a bit of ham or whatever.
And I try to include oily fish once a week.

Gillcro Tue 16-Jan-18 11:18:13

I prefer toasted sandwiches. Bagel. Or cheese and crackers. Not really a sandwich person. And on a cold day a lovely bowl of soup.

M0nica Tue 16-Jan-18 11:44:14

OldMeg Have a salad with soup, serve pumpkin, or squash with veg, curry, make a cauliflower base for pizza, bake a sweet potato instead of an ordinary potato and have all the 'on toast' suggestions on a no-carb bread replacement. There are plenty of recipes for these online.

I cooked all these recipes for a light meal with non-carb substitutes when DH tried a low carb diet. Didn't work. 5:2 diet was far more successful.

Larissa67 Tue 16-Jan-18 11:48:23

Soup glorious soup is the way to go. You can have it hot, cold, creamy, spicy, smooth, clear or chunky. I would recommend Lindsey Barehams, A celebration of soup, for inspiration. These should dampen the carb cravings. Sent my one who knows all too well the seductive power of a fresh crusty baguette!