Gransnet forums

Food

How can our sense of taste be so different????

(2 Posts)
Loobs Mon 16-Jul-18 19:05:04

Tonight I really wanted a glass or two of red wine with dinner. We are currently in France so plenty of opportunity to buy really reasonably priced wine. My husband bought some last week and opened a bottle for me tonight. It was disgusting!!!! He then tried it and declared it absolutely fine. HOW???? It tasted so ghastly I don't understand how he could drink it? We have this ongoing 'row' (discussion) about wine - my husband is a complete wine snob but is also allergic to spending money so chooses wine based partly on his perception of a good wine and partly on cost. He can drink wine from a bottle that has been open for days and which smells like vinegar to me. I often say I would like a nice (but admittedly not cheap) Chateau Neuf but get a lecture about how there are lots of types and some are chateau bottled and some aren't and anyway the good ones need laying down blah blah blah..... I just want a pleasant, deep, rich and fruity red. OK whinge over, I am off for a glass of water - hopefully not chateau bottled.

Baggs Mon 16-Jul-18 19:16:24

Why don't you buy wine for yourself?