Gransnet forums

Food

Faggots

(128 Posts)
felice Fri 14-Dec-18 14:20:28

Reading that some people want to ban The Pogues Fairytale of New York because it contains the word Faggot I got to thinking that weren't Faggots some sort of meatball.
From the North of England I think, never had them as my Dad seemingly hated them.
I did a quick poll of my gay friends and none of them are remotely offended.
A step to far ?????

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 14:26:39

That would be a shame.
Its a great song.
Its a step too far for me, and some of my best friends are f...... oops! Gay.

MiniMoon Fri 14-Dec-18 14:30:26

It's a great song! I'm not sure who he's referring to as a "cheap lousy faggot" though. I always thought it was his lady friend, but I might be wrong.
I don't think it should be banned. I've never known anyone who's been offended by it, and I have friends of all sexual orientations.

Anniebach Fri 14-Dec-18 14:32:26

A step way to far, I love it , it was released in 1988, twenty years on some want it banned ?

SpanielNanny Fri 14-Dec-18 14:38:03

People need to remember to look at these things with a little bit more context. Fairytale Of New York is of it’s time. We can’t rewrite history. Had it been written today, I can fully understand why it would be considered unacceptable. But as a previous poster already said, it’s 20 years old. Leave it alone.

Much the same as Baby, It’s Cold Outside. The line “hey what’s in this drink” would have a completely different meaning if written nowadays, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the song the way it was originally intended.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 14:49:17

I think its Kirsty McColl singing the "Cheap lousy faggot" line.
She was a fabulous artist.
I think it was about this time of year that she died.

tanith Fri 14-Dec-18 14:50:53

Mr. Brains still make Faggots I used to buy them 30 yrs ago. I think you can buy them in Mr. T and Sainsbury ?

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 14:55:05

I'm getting sick of this " you mustn't upset people " society.

It's not my fault nor anyone else's that words now have two meanings. Gay always meant happy and carefree when I was at school !

On BBC news this morning there was a young woman ( as usual with too much to say ) who is on some committee to ban certain adverts that make men " look useless " sexist in other words.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 14:57:18

Faggots are available in Sainsbury's and Aldis.

This is just political correctness gone mad. So many of the songs from years gone by have different connotations in 2018.

I truly hope that the "PC Brigade" are not on a mission to ban the back catalogue of music that forms the backdrop to most of our lives ????

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 14:58:05

I can think of many songs that aren't quite nice these days.
"Young girl, get out of my life. My love for you is way out of line. Better run, girl! You're much to young girl".
Or..
"Take a look at her hair; its real, and if you don't believe what I say just feel. Gonna lock her up in a trunk..."

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 14:58:41

Much TOO! blush

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 14:59:45

Faggots were/are also bundles of sticks.
I used to like the savoury/edible ones from years ago, very tasty.

It's also used as a derogatory word against a nasty woman usually.

Alima Fri 14-Dec-18 15:08:00

The best Christmas pop song ever I think. Read recently that “faggot” is an Irish word which means something I cannot remember but definitely not homophobic. I am also getting fed up with the ‘flakes attempting to ban anything they deem offensive even if it isn’t. Can we ban the snowflakes please? Sod ‘em, I will play it on repeat.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 15:15:42

Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke, it was out about 3-4 years ago is far more suggestive than anything of the 60,70.80's.

felice Fri 14-Dec-18 15:19:27

Also read an piece by a stand up comedian who was invited to perform at SOAS for Charity and sent a contract which more or less banned him from saying anything that could be an 'ism,,, and that all jokes had to be respectable and kind.
He cancelled, just ridiculous, what worries me a bit is that the "snowflakes" will be breeding at some point, what on Earth will their children be like sad.

M0nica Fri 14-Dec-18 15:27:08

I love the song and I love faggots. I make my own with liver and breadcrumbs and lots of gravy.

Cherrytree59 Fri 14-Dec-18 15:34:13

I used to love faggots and mushy peas.
Unfortunately now they don't like me sad

Cherrytree59 Fri 14-Dec-18 15:34:44

Ps love the song!!

Anniebach Fri 14-Dec-18 15:41:58

Just remembered, when young , a very grumpy woman in our road , complained about children playing , would tick us off if we played near her house, a ball landing in her garden was lost forever, we were told ‘ stay away from her front the miserable old faggot.’

ninathenana Fri 14-Dec-18 15:45:51

Love the song and still buy Brains faggots. They are handy to have in the freezer

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 16:14:25

Kids of today use the other " F " word profusely------strange how that's never brought into question especially when used on TV.
It's all about double standards isn't it ? Snowflake language just to cause trouble. The veggies, anti-fur, tree-huggers, protestors, womens lib, gay rights etc etc I just see them all as a bunch of troublemakers--------all about themselves without a thought for others. Why should we dance attention to them as that's what it's all about?

It's still a democratic country the last time I looked ! Which also goes to those who are none of the above.

Grampie Sat 15-Dec-18 09:05:04

We love our faggots.

...in gravy.

Leave them alone!

Skinnylizzie Sat 15-Dec-18 09:05:19

I noticed that they had changed on the radio. Sorry but it’s also a northern word for someone being badly behaved. I remember my grandma called me a little faggot

B9exchange Sat 15-Dec-18 09:11:09

Better remove this one from YouTube then www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlPjxz4LGak I love Dire Straits! grin

razzmatazz Sat 15-Dec-18 09:15:10

This PC world is getting ridiculous . Somebody will always be offended by something ......or so people think. I just wish people who are offended would grow up .