Gransnet forums

Food

Having problems with cooking on induction hob

(32 Posts)
nanasam Fri 31-Jan-20 18:28:57

Has anyone had problems with an induction hob? I keep buying pans that either warp or the non stick coating flakes off. I bought a “lifetime guaranteed” griddle which warped after one use - excuse me, but a griddle HAS to be superheated to give the grill marks? I’ve had several non stick saucepans, the latest milk pan was never put on superheat or had metal tools used or was put in the dishwasher and the last time I (gently) cooked scrambled egg, we had black bits of non stick coating included! All the pans I’ve bought stated they were suitable for an induction hob but every non stick pan has died on me sad. Can anyone recommend any non stick pans that will last?

SpringyChicken Fri 31-Jan-20 18:37:14

Are you heating up pans from cold on the power setting? Start on a medium heat and increase it to higher setting more gradually. My instruction book says the highest settings are too powerful for non stick pans.
After cooking, do you put cold water into the dirty, hot pan?
This can cause warping and stress the not stick coating.

BabyLayla Fri 31-Jan-20 18:38:20

I’ve had an induction hob for several years now & my favourite pans are strong heavyweight stainless steel ones, I have a set James Martin ones from our local hardware shop, not non stick but clean up really easily. I also have some Ikea ones. The best frying pans I’ve found are the stone ? ones ( sort of a rusty red colour with comfort handle) available in Dunelm and the Range.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 31-Jan-20 18:46:23

I also use heavy weight stainless steel on my induction hob. I don't like non stick because the surface on pans I've had in the past always breaks down.
Good quality stainless steel cleans easily and doesn't need non stick surface.
I have a heavy griddle pan from Lakeland which is non stick and that hasn't warped at all.

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 18:49:14

I only use stainless steel pans on my induction hob, and have never had any problems. As soon as I've finished cooking, I empty the pan and fill it with warm soapy water, easy and quick to clean. I've never tried non-stick pans on my hob, but used to use them on my old one (non-induction) - I find the stainless steel ones much better and they still look like new smile.

Jessity Fri 31-Jan-20 18:58:23

My Lakeland non-stick ones work perfectly on my induction hob, as do older stainless steel ones. As others say, I do fill them with water after cooking, then put them in the dishwasher. Never had a problem.

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jan-20 18:58:56

I love my induction hob. I've found it brilliant to cook on and super easy to keep clean. It's very powerful, though, especially on the 'boost' setting.

I don't use non-stick pans (as I don't want to accidentally scratch and eat the coating). I have a set of heavy cast iron ones, that I hand wash, and a set of Ikea stainless steel, that are fine in the dishwasher.

One hob kettle I bought didn't last long. It was supposed to be dishwasher friendly but the outside coating started to flake off. I know to never put cold water in a hot pan as it can cause warping, also to dry any water on the hob - to prevent pans sliding off!

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 19:59:17

DD has an induction hob and the only pans recommended are heavy duty ones that make the connection, anything else just doesn't work. She doesn't have any non-stick for the same reason as Hetty58 and uses cast iron frying pans (very heavy!).
I use a good non-stick frying pan on a gas hob but wouldn't use them on an induction hob.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 20:00:09

My other plans are stainless steel and wash well.

nanasam Fri 31-Jan-20 20:16:07

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I’ll have to stop using non stick pans. Has anyone used cast iron pans?

nanasam Fri 31-Jan-20 20:18:33

Sorry, Callistemon, missed the bit about DDs cast iron, hmmm may be too heavy

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 20:23:57

Too heavy for me, nanasam!
I did use them but had to haul them around with both hands so I couldn't use them all the time.
The other pans were stainless steel, I think, a good weight but not like cast iron.

SueDonim Fri 31-Jan-20 20:33:34

I’ve had an induction hob for over ten years and use non-stick pans. I’ve never had any issues with them. I don’t use a power setting as the job is so quick normal setting.

I’ve found Tefal pans to be very good.

Doodle Fri 31-Jan-20 20:37:58

I have one non stick pan that I uses for making sauces. I bought all my pans from John Lewis for an induction hob. They weren’t cheap but have been using them for over 5 years and they are fine. My last set of pans from John Lewis were still going strong after 20 years. I only changed them Because of the induction hob.

DiscoGran Fri 31-Jan-20 20:45:41

I use Stellar pans on my induction hob, and have no problems at all. They are very sturdy but not too heavy. By far the best pans I have ever had.
Hartsofstur.com have them on sale currently, check them out.

kissngate Fri 31-Jan-20 21:07:21

Another shout out hear for Stellar pans. Used them for six years on induction hob and work perfectly. They are stainless steel and still as good as new.

Witzend Sat 01-Feb-20 07:34:21

I bought an induction friendly set for a dd after her new kitchen with induction hob was installed. Forget whether specifically non stick but they all have that sort of dark grey inside, cream outside, so not stainless steel. Came from M&S or John Lewis, forget which, but own brand, not arms and legs. Over 2 years ago now and all still fine.

cornergran Sat 01-Feb-20 07:49:20

Bought a much reduced set of non stick pans from BHS six years ago, still going strong on the induction hob. Sometimes hand wash, sometimes dishwasher, no problems at all. You seem to have been very unlucky nanasam, hope you have better luck now.

H1954 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:52:56

I used the heavy based stainless steel pans too. The superheat setting is hardly ever used though. My "frying" pan is one of stone lined ones, it was a bit pricey at the time but has been worth every penny! Non of the pan have suffered in any way, and I wouldn't give non-stick saucepans house room.

H1954 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:54:28

Just a little footnote; my stainless steel pans came from Wilkinsons!

dragonfly46 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:55:36

I got some non stick pans in Tesco a few years ago with stamps to collect and they work perfectly. I also use good quality non stick frying pans with no problem. I love my induction hob.

TwiceAsNice Sat 01-Feb-20 08:10:41

Heavy duty stainless steel saucepans work well . I do have a Le Creuset milk saucepan which is non stick coated inside but I think it only works because it was very expensive to buy and I guess you get what you pay for . I love my induction hob would never change back to the gas I had before

TerriBull Sat 01-Feb-20 08:21:55

I'm on my 2nd induction hob, have had such devices for 20 years now. After the initial shock of realising we had to replace all our pans to get ones that are induction compatible, I wouldn't want any other type of hob, prior to that I swore by gas, but wouldn't go back to it. I'm surprised you've had problems OP, I think I buy new non stick pans as and when required, I've never had any problems.

seacliff Sat 01-Feb-20 09:19:49

I too use Stellar or Judge stainless steel saucepans and large saute pan with lid. All are NOT non stick, just s/s.

I cook onions in the saute pan, and then add mince etc. It can sometimes stick a bit, so I keep heat lower. Afterwards, I soak in hot soapy water then clean by hand. May use a bit of barkeepers friend if it has marked the pan. They are as good as new, had them 7 years.

I also have a Lakeland non stick frying pan and a little crepe pan.

The only problem I had is stir frying. You need a flat bottom pan, not a normal wok. Also I think you are meant to heat the oil in the pan for a few mins, before adding the food. That is probably standard for all wok cooking.

MiniMoon Sat 01-Feb-20 09:57:35

I have had an induction hob since they were first introduced. I've never had any problems with my pans. They are all stainless steel with heavy bottoms. Most of them I bought in Tesco. The non stick ones that I own have ceramic non stick coatings.
I had Aga pans with my first induction hob, but got rid of them when I moved house, and replaced them with the ones I use now.