Gransnet forums

Food

Biriyani Delicacies of Old Dhaka

(9 Posts)
fierceStamen Mon 24-Feb-20 13:04:07

The word “Biriyani” comes from the Persian word “Birian” which means “fried before cooking.” One could conclude that the word biriyani originated in Iran. While biriyani is popularly associated with the Mughals, there are some historical evidences to show that there were other, similar rice based dishes prior to the Mughal era. There is mention about a rice dish known as “Oon Soru” in Tamil as early as the year 2 A.D. Oon Soru composed of rice, ghee, meat, turmeric, coriander, pepper, and bay leaf and was popular among the warriors. Muslim invaders like Turks, Arabs, Persians, and Afghans introduced the culture of feasts to the Indian sub continent. The Mughlai cuisines were developed during the reign of the Mughals. The Mughals introduced several recipes to India like biryani, pilaf and kebabs.
With time biriyani became popular and many restaurants started to make their own biriyani. Today we will talk about four popular biriyani types of old Dhaka. They are Haji Biryani, Nanna Biryani, Nawab Biryani and Kolkata Kachhi.

grannysue05 Mon 24-Feb-20 13:08:01

This is so interesting.

Are you a chef or a teacher or just an enthusiast ?

crazyH Mon 24-Feb-20 20:34:03

So interesting fiercestamen......carry on please

Joelsnan Mon 24-Feb-20 21:40:09

What about Hyderabadi Biryani, or Chicken 65 Biryani?

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Feb-20 22:05:14

And what about a link to the most fantastic recipes!!

Urmstongran Mon 24-Feb-20 22:45:57

Biryani is what I most often order in a curry house.
Love it.
?

Greendress Tue 25-Feb-20 00:33:30

I love Biryani and the best one I ever tasted was in the British Club in Bahrain in the early 1980's. It contained prawns and cashew nuts and even now my mouth waters thinking about it. Would love to try out any recipes anyone may have

grannysue05 Tue 25-Feb-20 14:01:20

fierceStamen You said that you were going to discuss four types of Biryani.
Would love to hear more.

Alishka Wed 26-Feb-20 23:42:54

C'mon, fierceStamen, you've tantalized us enough! Please share some recipes with us. Please?