Gransnet forums

Food

Ballater scones

(9 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 28-Mar-20 10:44:09

I suddenly had a craving for scones this morning, and think I might make some for afternoon tea tomorrow. However, I usually make them with soured milk, buttermilk or fresh milk soured with cream of tartar. I haven’t got any of those things, but I have got kefir. Would that work do you think?
I have two precious eggs so I am going to use one of them to make some cupcakes, then I will have a cheese and tomato sandwich and a scone or two. When the children were small we always had a roast dinner at one and tea with scones and cakes at four thirty on a Sunday.

Carillion01 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:54:29

Dora are these named after the beautiful place...Ballater in Scotland?? We stayed many a happy time in Monaltrie at Ballater. Maybe the scone recipe would work with yoghurt?

paddyanne Sat 28-Mar-20 10:54:32

squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into your milk to sour it ,I always keep a jif lemon handy for doing just this

DoraMarr Sat 28-Mar-20 11:06:07

Carillon yes, and they were a favourite of my Scots mother- in- law. In fact, they were the only thing I could make better than she could! No yogurt, I’m afraid.
paddyanne brilliant- I will give it a go!
Now, if only I had some sultanas......
I live in an apartment with limited storage, so I don’t have a lot of the things I always had in my larder. I live opposite an Aldi, but I am self- isolating, so managing on what I have.

Carillion01 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:13:28

Dora, so glad paddyanne's advice will work for you. I don't always have yoghurt but try to keep the powdered easiyo yoghurt in the cupboard. It always makes Greek yoghurt in an emergency. What a lovely memory you have given us here today about Ballater, Braemar, Monaltrie and the beautiful highlands. We are in Brittany now but nothing compares with Scotland. Plus, finding flour to make scones can be a challenge. Hope your scones are delicious. Sending good wishes.

Niobe Sat 28-Mar-20 13:33:53

Flour is beginning to come into the shops again. It was cleared from the shelves in the first few frenzied days but I have seen it recently in Sainsbury’s and Tesco. We use a lot of whole meal flour for chapattis, wraps and bread but I can’t get yeast so unleavened fresh bread it is for now. Anyone got a recipe for whole meal scones?

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 13:56:33

I grew up close to Ballatar - it’s lovely there smile

I second paddyanne’s suggestion of lemon juice in the milk - I do that and they turn out lovely

DoraMarr Sat 28-Mar-20 15:37:48

Thank you- yes, Ballater is a lovely part of Scotland. I actually had ballater scones made by Ballater Women’s institute, with home-made loganberry jam from the Carse of Gowrie. Perhaps my post- CV trip will be to Scotland.
Will try the lemon juice method and let you know!

DoraMarr Sun 29-Mar-20 19:49:30

Well, I made them with kefir, because I have quite a lot of kefir, and not much milk, and margarine instead of butter, and they were delicious!