Gransnet forums

Food

Breakfast

(28 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 11:34:06

I'm not a breakfast fan. I LOVE breakfast foods but my stomach isn't ready for food until I've been up at least 2 hours.

My grandson, however, is a staunch breakfast eater. Today he packed away carrot porridge, a plum, three of the biscuits he made with me 2 days ago and some homemade smoothie with strawberries and cherries (frozen) and sneakily hidden carrot and broccoli.

He's not a fan of veg at the moment, so I like sneaking it in. I also make him ice lollies made from a similar smoothie mix with some hidden veg except he has to eat THOSE in the bath because of the mess he makes.

grannylyn65 Sun 29-Mar-20 11:45:20

‘Carrot porridge ‘ wtf

lemongrove Sun 29-Mar-20 13:09:26

grin
Must admit I was thinking along the same lines grannylyn

I rather like some scrambled eggs, orange juice and coffee for breakfast, or pancakes with fruits and yoghurt on, or Weetabix and some marmalade toast.
Children need a good breakfast inside them.

Sussexborn Sun 29-Mar-20 13:21:34

My regular breakfast is a bowl of Greek natural yogurt with chopped nuts and preferably Greek honey. My OH brings me this every morning to line my stomach before I take my tablets.

In normal times we have croissant from Lidls on Sundays and I dunk mine in my coffee. Saw a French man do this when we stopped in a small village whilst on holiday and it really is as good as it sounds. Not sure OH approves though that won’t stop me doing it.

ninathenana Sun 29-Mar-20 14:09:46

I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking about the carrot porridge ?

BlueBelle Sun 29-Mar-20 14:13:36

Grannylyn that was my exclamation too
What the heck is carrot porridge ?

BlueBelle Sun 29-Mar-20 14:16:30

Cup of coffee and two small slices of seeded toast with Bovril and ginger jam on it yummy
I must admit I like dunking hot buttered toast in coffee sussex

maddyone Sun 29-Mar-20 14:23:02

I did wonder about carrot porridge.
I’m with you Gaga I don’t really do breakfast, normally just have a milky coffee. I do enjoy the luxury of a lovely breakfast buffet if I’m staying in a hotel though.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Mar-20 14:27:50

I like a nice bowl of creamy porridge. Sweetner and a sprinkle of sugar on the top for a sweet crunch. Never heard of carrot porridge.

rosenoir Sun 29-Mar-20 14:53:05

Just googled carrot porridge, seems quite a lot of recipes for it. Basically porridge with a carrot grated into it.

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 16:12:43

Haha! It’s nothing fancy. A mashed carrot mixed with creamy porridge, some butter and a little peanut butter. He likes it.

Oh yes, maddyone, a hotel breakfast is lovely. Not too early tho.

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 16:59:17

I made Scotch pancakes this morning and froze some for another day.

I suppose carrots add sweetness to the porridge.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 19:24:36

Now if I smelled bacon etc on the go I'd relish a breakfast but as it is I have my 2 thickly buttered crumpets and a cup of hot chocolate or cocoa.

Lollin Sun 29-Mar-20 19:30:44

Just as I was getting over the thought of carrot porridge you blow the image by adding butter and peanut butter!

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 19:45:04

Ha ha Lollin

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 19:45:32

As good as anything on the joke thread btw!

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 19:46:14

Well it's better than coco pops

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 20:09:36

He needs the protein because he's vegetarian. Plus he likes peanut butter. It's a wholefood brand with no palm oil.

I wouldn't eat it, but each to their own.

Lollin Sun 29-Mar-20 20:16:48

I was just wondering how he came to create such a combination. My attempts have always resulted in some revolting combination so I had to stop trying and stick to recipes. I imagine porridge manufacturers would love him for their adverts.

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:20:17

I do like peanut butter.
But I don't have any in the store cupboard shock

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 20:28:43

Haha Lollin. He didn't create it. I did. He's not 2 yet. Trial and error. Sweet potato porridge is also good. He's a savoury food boy so prefers the peanut butter to honey or a sweetener.

I started giving him veg for breakfast when he started going off vegetables a few months ago. He's more likely to eat it in the morning when he's ravenous. I've lived overseas a lot and the British way of breakfasting isn't the only way. In Spain, toast with olive oil and garlic tomato. In China, noodles with pickles. So I thought, breakfast doesn't have to be coco pops (to quote Callistemon).

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:37:27

I am eyeing up the DGD'S Readybrek, a new packet.
It could be out of date before they can stay again sad

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 20:39:54

Mmmm. I occasionally love readybrek. I'm sure it's got more fibre in it than it used to. I remember it being silky smooth when I was a child.

GS isn't keen on it. But he'll eat it if I'm eating it, as in, begging for samples.

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 20:49:09

It's ok - unopened and January 2021

JackyB Sun 29-Mar-20 22:01:56

I'm wondering how you smuggle broccoli into a strawberry smoothie - doesn't it make it a revolting colour?