Gransnet forums

Food

Jamie Oliver's ^Keep cooking and carry on^

(18 Posts)
Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 15:02:31

I have just come across Jamie Oliver's Keep cooking and carry on, programme on Channel 4 just now.

He is demonstrating how to make the best of what we already have in our freezer and pantry in these difficult times.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:07:49

Oh must look

Daisend1 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:24:21

If by now the majority of grans have not experienced difficult times through out their adult lives and coped with rustling up meals out of nothing then they never will. Do we really need Jamie O to tell us grans ' how to do it'

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:27:13

No, daiseprobably not. But I’m happy to go with the flow it’s less stressful.

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 15:32:11

Daisend1 But we, older people account for less than 20% of the population. There are millions of younger peole who do not know how to cook, especially day after day, meal after meal and need all the help they can get.

Anything that gets people cooking and not just living on take-aways and ready meals is a good thing.

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 15:39:30

For goodness sake, it's not a matter of teaching your granny to suck eggs. He makes suggestions for substitutions and it is targeted at a wider audience than grans.
Posters are so quick to jump in and criticise ☹️

I'm an experienced cook, but quite enjoying it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:43:02

I’m not criticising? I think it will be worth a watch, always open to ideas.

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 15:46:51

Whitewavemark2, I didn't mean you.☹️

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:53:48

?

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-20 15:55:36

When I taught Food Technology we took the yr 10s to see Jamie Oliver at the NEC. He was very entertaining and his recipes inspired them. Jimmy Doherty was also there talking about 'farm to fork'.

I watched the programme because my DGDs messaged me to say they were watching it so I tend to look at these things through their eyes.

Good for Jamie for being the first to 'hit the mark'

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:58:54

I think that younger people are more inclined to follow advice from a younger ‘celebrity’ cook than older ones, I can’t see many of them wanting to watch old Delia or Rick Stein repeats.
If it gets young families cooking together rather than buying processed foods then it’s a great idea.
They recorded it and got it out on air quickly didn’t they ?

gillybob Sun 29-Mar-20 16:02:06

I’ve been watching it too Marydoll smile I think many of us tend to cook like this anyway but brilliant to show the younger ones how to make a meal from what you have . Very watchable .

Elderflower2 Sun 29-Mar-20 16:04:26

He would have learnt a lot from his folks, might be worth a gander.

SuzannahM Sun 29-Mar-20 16:06:04

I love cooking and have a whole library of cooking books going back over 100 years but I still enjoy watching cooking programs.

Even if I don't fancy whatever they cook I often pick up tips about preparing things in different ways, or different ingredients I hadn't thought of for a meal I already cook.

When I was in the Co-op a week ago I noticed a young woman packing a basket with Pot Noodles and couldn't help wondering if she had kids who would be existing on Pot Noodles for the forseeable future. It struck me then how much trouble some people would be in when they were no longer able to get their meals delivered or go to the pub.

Blondiescot Sun 29-Mar-20 20:23:55

Total rip-off of Jack Monroe, who has been doing this for year, long before JO jumped on the bandwagon. Check out Jack's cookbooks, especially Tin Can Cook, which should be the "bible" for how to manage under present circumstances...

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 23:43:18

Blondiescot, are you able to watch it in Australia? That's a nice wee earner for him.

Blondiescot Mon 30-Mar-20 19:31:00

Australia? I don't follow?

Marydoll Mon 30-Mar-20 20:48:46

My mistake, I though you were in Australia, now I've realised it's another poster called, ScotinOz.
I'm losing the plot!! blush confused