Gransnet forums

Food

Chocolate SOS :(

(18 Posts)
grandmaz Mon 30-Mar-20 16:03:16

I have managed pretty well so far with the food shop which I did about ten days ago...running short of a few things, but I've been able to adapt and it's been fine, maybe not ideal, but perfectly ok.

However today, came a moment...I have been hankering after some milk chocolate for several days - there's none in the flat (I double checked, even in the grandchildren's chocolate treat jar blush )and there isn't even an empty wrapper!

I tried really hard to convince myself that I needed milk or bread (thus justifying a quick scurry to the 'corner shop') however I resisted and rather dejectedly put the kettle on and reached for a rich tea biscuit to go with my mid afternoon cuppa. Opened the fridge door to get the milk and there, on the top shelf, was an almost forgotten jar of choc/hazelnut spread, left from when the last grandchild stayed over in January!

I looked at the rich tea biscuit, looked at the jar...eh voila...two rich tea biscuits with a generous dollop of spread ...my chocolate desperation has been vanquished! I can't tell you how good that tasted!

Much as I enjoyed it, I'll be adding chocolate to the online list which is growing by the day as I shall have waited over three weeks since I made the order ...the first available date was next Monday 06 April!

Anyone else missing something particular and tried a bit of a work around?

Stay safe and well everyone. xx

AGAA4 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:07:29

Yes I was missing chocolate too. Doesn't last long does it. Had a delivery from Amazon yesterday for a box of chocs. We have to have some treats in these difficult times don't we?

GagaJo Mon 30-Mar-20 16:08:36

Surprisingly, although we have chocolate AND biscuits (although I suspect my daughter may be eating her way through the chocolate), I have a batch of ginger biscuit dough in the fridge from a recipe my mum used to make, that I've gradually been cooking. I'm enjoying them FAR more than any other sweet stuff. Addictive in fact. Just as well I've got more flour.

Carillion01 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:14:37

Never made chocolate muffins before until last week. Knew I had some cocoa powder and found a choccy muffin recipe. Had four mini Mars bars so chopped them up and added them to the batter. I'm in heaven. ? Yum x

Buffybee Mon 30-Mar-20 16:15:09

Trying not to waste anything at all, any ideas what to make with 4 raisin scones?
Was thinking of crushing up, mixing with butter and making some sort of biscuits.
Any more suggestions?

Witzend Mon 30-Mar-20 16:17:47

I can relate to that, grandmaz! Whenever the little Gdcs have come to stay I’ve given them their favourite Nutella pancakes for breakfast, but I’ve always had to discipline myself to buy just a small jar, since whatever’s left get eaten with a spoon! (By me.).

Not sure I will be as disciplined next time I venture out to the shops - it might well be the king size jar next time.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 30-Mar-20 16:28:35

I must put my hand up to bulk buying chocolate. Bought 3 bars and a box of chocolates for Easter. Still have a bar of chocolate to eat but I am afraid I have run out of biscuits. Will have to wait until the next shopping trip

Greyduster Mon 30-Mar-20 16:33:42

I made a batch of chocolate cup cakes today because DH was getting sweet treat withdrawal symptoms. I have backed down and added a large bar of fruit and nut to the list my SiL is getting for us, after I promised myself I would only ask for healthy essentials. I know it’s not needed to sustain life but it’s needed to keep up morale!

shysal Mon 30-Mar-20 16:45:54

Buffybee, I would use the 4 scones to make a sort of bread and butter pudding, slicing and buttering them, even adding jam or marmalade if available. That is if you have eggs, milk and a little sugar. Mmm, I feel peckish now although I made berry muffins this morning and have eaten three! blush

ninathenana Mon 30-Mar-20 17:22:53

Personally I don't understand the craving for chocolate, I will eat a twix or similar very occasionally but I'd rather have cake, never chocolate flavoured though.

Turan53 Thu 02-Apr-20 16:58:04

video link of a super cake recipe from master chef: tii.ai/br4wUSl

Turan53 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:08:50

fastest cake making:https://tii.ai/4gZ10 very enjoyable to watch

Turan53 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:11:38

very enjoyable to watch:https://tii.ai/4gZ10

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 18:03:12

Dark choc digestive £1 pkt. on offer at the corner shop---I had to buy one.

MamaCaz Fri 03-Apr-20 11:28:56

I just 'had' to make some chocolate concrete yesterday because of the craving. I used up the last of the baking cocoa, so can't do this again for a while.

I'm expecting a big delivery from Tesco this afternoon, the first proper shop for a month. Couldn't add either chocolate or cocoa to the list, because I got up to my maximum nmber of 80 permitted items just replacing what's run out in that month and allowing for what might be needed before next delivery. It soon adds up when each banana /bulb of garlic etc. counts as an individual item!

GagaJo Fri 03-Apr-20 12:06:50

What is chocolate concrete?

MamaCaz Fri 03-Apr-20 12:39:33

It was a traditional school pudding - a very solid (hence the 'concrete) cake-type thing served with custard. I did a quick hunt for a recipe for it when I got the chocolate craving, though I reduced the sugar in it ☺
www.birminghamupdates.com/throwback-thursday-how-to-make-the-school-dinner-favourite-chocolate-concrete/

grandmaz Fri 03-Apr-20 12:53:19

I had forgotten about chocolate concrete!! I shall make some at the weekend - comfort food 'in extremis'!

Thanks MamaCaz smile