Gransnet forums

Food

Home-Made Bread Recipe

(14 Posts)
Lyndiloo Tue 31-Mar-20 03:23:50

Has anyone got an easy bread recipe? I bought some flour and packet yeast before the 'lock-down', but don't know where (or how) to start. Help! (On to last loaf!)

BradfordLass73 Tue 31-Mar-20 06:52:52

2 and a half teaspoons of dried yeast to 4 cups of plain flour.
Salt to taste and 2 tabs oil or butter to keep it soft.

I usually do a cup & 3/4 of half warm milk-water and a teaspoon of sugar - add the yeast and allow it to rise and bubble.

Bread is very forgiving if you remember 2 things: it must be kneaded for at least 10 mins and it must be allowed to rise to double its size.

Most recipes recomment 2 kneading so if you knead it in the evening, you can leave it in the fridge to rise overnight.

Then next morning give it a punch and knead it for another 10 mins, put it into the tin you're going to bake it in and and allow to rise once again. Bake at a medium temperature until it is golden on top. A 1lb loaf usually takes about 35 mins.

You can add extras, such as more sugar, spices or onions and herbs.
You can get away with one kneading.

People with a breadmaker just bung it in and press the button. grin

Humbertbear Tue 31-Mar-20 08:51:14

Here are two recipes for bread and bread buns which I’ve been using for 40 years ( what a thought,) we used to make bread with year 9. Ive lost count of how many times I’ve made bread buns with my GC. they love making different shapes - plaits, snails, twists, cottage loaf etc.
I’ve also attached a recipe for flatbread which is doing the rounds. I made it last week and it was very tasty. We put garlic butter on it on the second day.

shysal Tue 31-Mar-20 09:10:41

Phil Vickery gave this demo on TV yesterday. Good luck.
www.itv.com/thismorning/food/how-to-bake-your-own-bread-phil-vickery-recipe

I have always loved baking bread, but have no need at the moment as my village has a bakery.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Mar-20 09:26:52

Lyndiloo, if you look on You Tube for Easy bread, you will find lots of recipes.

I just had a quick look at the Phil Vickery demo, he has got one of those super mixers. I have to do it the old fashioned way ?

shysal Tue 31-Mar-20 09:43:02

Phil only used the mixer to bring together the dough for speed purposes on TV, stating that it was easy to mix in a bowl. He did the kneading of it by hand.

MiniMoon Tue 31-Mar-20 09:50:27

This is the recipe for the bread rolls that I made recently. It's from The Hairy Bikers. It was easy to make, and absolutely delicious.
You could make it into a loaf instead of rolls.

Ingredients
500g/1lb 2oz unbleached strong white organic bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried yeast
30g/1oz butter or lard, softened
75ml/2½fl oz milk, warmed
225ml/8fl oz warm water
oil, for greasing
rice flour, for dusting
butter, to serve

MiniMoon Tue 31-Mar-20 09:54:35

Ps The Hairy Bikers kneaded the dough by hand, I let the bread machine do that part for me.
You must let the dough rise to double it's size, then knock it back, form into rolls or put in a loaf tin. Then let it rise again. Bake until it's nice and brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

travelsafar Tue 31-Mar-20 09:58:24

I made bread yesterday but turned the dough into rolls rather than a loaf. The tops are as hard as iron !!!! The bottom is ok though smile

Fennel Tue 31-Mar-20 12:28:12

I've been making bread for years and have had as many flops as successes. All edible though. I used to knead by hand, now have a machine with a kneading hook.
Good advice above - my method would take too long to type out.
Breadmaking is like a chemistry experiment, depends on so many things.

Farmor15 Tue 31-Mar-20 13:03:43

If the yeast is the sort in individual foil packets in a box, no need to measure, just add whole packet to around 500 g or 4 cups flour. This type of yeast should NOT be mixed with water and sugar first.

EllanVannin Tue 31-Mar-20 14:36:54

There's an Aussie recipe that uses a 12oz can of beer instead of yeast. Cooks in a loaf tin in just over an hour. Beer bread.

Pikachu Tue 31-Mar-20 14:57:47

Wonder how many hardly used packets of bread flour will be left in pastries (or whatever the modern equivalent) after this is over?

I always make my own bread but am now unable to get any wholemeal bread flour because suddenly everyone wants to try. Hand it over at once lyndiloo !!!!

Judy54 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:28:42

How about soda bread no yeast required. I found this recipe online:

juice of half a lemon or 2 teaspoons of bottled lemon juice

300ml semi-skimmed milk

400g self raising flour

1 and a half teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 180c/ 350f/gas4

Squeeze lemon juice into milk, stand to one side for about 5 minutes to allow the liquid to curdle and separate

Weigh the flour into a bowl, add the bicarbonate of soda and mix through.

Pour in the milk and lemon mixture, mix with wooden spoon to form a sticky dough

tip the dough on to a floured work surface and pat into a round shape, kneading very lightly

Put the shaped dough into a 1lb loaf tin score a line on top of the dough and down the middle and dust with a little flour

Place in preheated oven for 40 minutes

When cooked tip out the hot loaf and leave to cool on a wire rack

Enjoy!