Gransnet forums

Food

Guilt free snacking

(47 Posts)
DiscoGran Thu 25-Jun-20 13:21:27

Trying to be good and avoid ice cream.
Just had some frozen bananas ? have you tried them?
What's your favourite healthy snack?
X

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 13:35:26

The problem with snacks is they're rarely healthy. grin

If I'm being really good I suppose it's an apple with a couple of cubes of low fat cheddar. hmm

Actually I misread the thread title and thought it was about guilt free smacking!

I wanted to give DH a guilt free smack this morning when just as I was half way through cleaning the bathroom he called out, 'Let me know when you've finished then I'll come and have a shave!!' angry

DiscoGran Thu 25-Jun-20 15:31:43

Hope he didn't leave stubble in the sink. ?

Well I've got a few snacks that I have and still keep my calories down.

Yogurt and berries.
Rice cake with a bit of Cheese
Popcorn (not the toffee type, sadly.)
Mini milks, ran out hence the frozen bananas.

I do occasionally give DH a smack, but don't feel remotely guilty. ?

BBbevan Thu 25-Jun-20 15:37:38

Probably almonds or olives

MiniMoon Thu 25-Jun-20 16:01:58

If I'm trying to be really good, a couple of ready to eat dates is good for a sweet treat. Plus they have advantages in the bowel department.?

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 16:22:15

Hmmmm, are Wotsits healthy snacks? ?

Wheniwasyourage Thu 25-Jun-20 16:36:14

Oh, I keep reading 'snacking' as 'smacking' - difficult to link that with 'guilt free' these days! shock

PinkCakes Thu 25-Jun-20 18:19:42

I love all fruit, but it's not as satisfying to me as cake grin

DiscoGran Thu 25-Jun-20 18:30:10

Oh god, I love cheesy wotsits!

Happysexagenarian Fri 26-Jun-20 09:04:25

I never feel guilty about snacking on anything. Very few of my snacks (and there a LOT!) are 'healthy' except perhaps fruit. We've got lots of strawberries in the garden at the moment so I munch them when I'm deadheading.

Wilma65 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:12:22

Do you freeze banana? I didn’t know you could

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 09:22:36

My guilty pleasure is a packet of Walkers ready salted crisps but the contents has been reduced so much now that I soon won't need to feel guilty as they wouldn't put weight on a hamster.

Theoddbird Fri 26-Jun-20 09:24:22

I have never had a frozen banana. Going to put some in freezer right now smile x

Jan51 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:35:45

A fruit platter with perhaps a sliced peach, a few strawberries, a few grapes and a few blueberries or sometimes a banana is my favourite snack but I like most fruits. I try to be strict with myself and allow myself one less healthy snack a day which might be a couple of biscuits or a slice of cake but I decide as the day goes on if I will have that with my afternoon tea or evening coffee. Unlike DH I do not have to have something to eat every time I have a drink.

GrannyBettie Fri 26-Jun-20 09:36:33

I love ice-cream but my waist doesn't! I have started to buy frozen fruit and then just put it in a blender with a little bit of milk or yogurt. Voila! Instant ice-cream. It may not be the real thing but a good substitute . Frozen bananas make great 'ice-cream'

Cabbie21 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:37:50

Nuts and raisins( yes, I know here is a sugar content), a couple of dates. About once a week my treat is two squares of dark chocolate, preferably with nuts in.

Aepgirl Fri 26-Jun-20 09:40:41

How do you freeze bananas? Are they mashed up and put in trays?

Tamayra Fri 26-Jun-20 09:43:42

I always freeze ripe bananas to use later in banana cake
Take the skins off before freezing tho

Kim19 Fri 26-Jun-20 10:19:06

Walnuts, red pepper and (currently) strawberries are my regular go to.

olliebeak Fri 26-Jun-20 10:21:24

Have had to resort to 'pigging out' on fresh fruit - particularly Prunes, Semi-Dried Apricots and Figs . I'm fully aware of the high natural-sugar content - but the fibre is paramount for me. I'm on strong Painkillers, as well as Iron Tablets, so have a tendency towards constipation sad. We DO eat plenty of Salad and Vegetables, but I still struggle occasionally.

GrannyBettie Fri 26-Jun-20 10:26:34

Aepgirl - It is better to use bananas that are on the turn. I freeze them whole because I usually buy the small bananas but would probably cut them if they were large bananas.

Juicylucy Fri 26-Jun-20 10:35:40

Doritos and dips mmmm

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 26-Jun-20 10:42:33

Take ripe bananas, cut into circles about half an inch thick, and lay out on a tray which you pop into the freezer for an hour or so. I've frozen them for several hours. Remove from freezer and blitz in food processor until thick and creamy. They are brilliant and very ice cream like.

Bamm Fri 26-Jun-20 10:50:01

Nuts. All sorts of nuts.

jaylucy Fri 26-Jun-20 10:59:59

Yes you can freeze bananas - they are even nicer dipped in chocolate before freezing!!!