Gransnet forums

Food

Making cakes in a Panasonic breadmaker

(10 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 06-Jul-20 17:15:28

Has anyone tried this? You have to remove the paddle-kneader thingy but then the little bit still sticks up and presumably would make a hole in the paper liner they recommend you to use once you've put in all the ingredients. Help required for a friend (honest) who isn't on Gransnet, I promised her that someone on here would definitely know!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 17:17:44

I’m just toying with the idea of buying a bread maker. Can I also ask if anyone knows if it is ok for gluten free bread please?

SueDonim Mon 06-Jul-20 17:29:58

I have done it in the past. I used a reusable silicon liner. It’s a bit of a faff, really, and I can’t be bothered so went back to using the oven. It worked ok, though, which I guess is what you want to know!

kittylester Mon 06-Jul-20 17:35:04

A bread maker make gf bread ok. The bread still tastes awful though.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 17:45:15

I had a bread maker and then discovered I was GF so gave it to my daughter.

Just wondered if it would be marginally better than what I buy. The best I’ve found so far is Genius Cob.

Sussexborn Mon 06-Jul-20 17:45:43

I made a cake once but it was more of a faff than making a normal cake. Making bread is easy - just follow the instructions - love the smell wafting through the house.

We have a Panasonic SD2511 and have been using it for a few years now. OH had real problems with rhinitis but we noticed it cleared up noticeably when we stayed with my brother and realised it was the additive free bread that made a difference.

Generally make 50/50 white and wholemeal flour. Made a maple and pecan nut loaf recently which was nowhere near a good as it sounded.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jul-20 18:23:29

Whitewavemark2

I’m just toying with the idea of buying a bread maker. Can I also ask if anyone knows if it is ok for gluten free bread please?

I think gf bread is much better made in the oven, Whitewave.

A banana cake made in the bread maker was a disaster so I haven't tried again.

Ordinary bread was fine and the best loaf was a malt loaf made with Wessex Mill Malt flour (not gf unfrtunately).

ladymuck Mon 06-Jul-20 19:08:00

I have done it and the resulting cake was perfectly acceptable although, as you say, it does have a puncture wound in the bottom.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:20:13

My bread making skills on a scale from 1-10 is zero. I’ve tried so many times and they are all foul as are the cakes I make.

But I would like to recommend to anyone who is GF (*kittylester*) a cake company residing in Shropshire called “The Delicious Cake Company” they are by far and away the best cakes I have ever tasted. I get a delivery once a month. Do look at their site. Bit expensive, but sooo worth it.

gulligranny Mon 06-Jul-20 22:09:01

Thanks ladies - I'll pass on suggestions to my friend. Although we have a breadmaker, I haven't used it myself as it's the province of DH. As far as cakes are concerned I make them the conventional way, in an oven.