Gransnet forums

Food

Banana bread

(37 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:36:36

It would appear that the whole world has spent lockdown successfully making banana bread. Except me. I have made four different ones with various levels of failure. I have just got the latest one out of the oven and it is all burnt on top!!. I will be so glad when lockdown is over, then I can stop pretending I am Mary Berry and go back to being Mr Kipling!!

BlueBelle Thu 09-Jul-20 18:25:10

Well I can’t really cook but my banana bread in lockdown was delicious (cock a doodle doo) ?

monk08 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:27:48

Mines been good as well and no eggs required.

annep1 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:30:44

I made a simple one with veg oil. It froze well too. But the novelty wore off.

Puzzler61 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:39:36

I shouldn’t really be on here as I gave up on baking sweet stuff a long time ago. I blamed the oven which seemed to burn everything.
However our lockdown 3 pm cuppa has been accompanied by some very nice cakes - Sainsbury’s lemon loaf cake is my favourite.
I do like bananas, so please, if someone has a foolproof recipe, kindly print and post it and I’ll give it a go. ?

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 18:47:12

Thought it was just me! I'm a reasonably good cake baker, simple sponges, scones etc, but every banana loaf I've ever made has been like a brick. I've given up trying to make one that doesn't lie like lead on the stomach. Are they supposed to be like that?

jdga Thu 09-Jul-20 18:54:19

I’d gladly share my receipe if u want, just send me a PM.
I usually make a loaf, but sometimes do a small loaf & “cupcakes/muffins” instead.
(Convenient for snacking, lol...)

MiniMoon Thu 09-Jul-20 18:56:25

I don't make banana bread. DH doesn't like it.

Lizbethann55 Thu 09-Jul-20 19:49:45

I wonder how long it will be before supermarkets start selling overripe bananas as " cake bananas"

FarNorth Thu 09-Jul-20 19:59:35

We used to be able to buy overripe "cooking tomatoes".
I miss them.

FarNorth Thu 09-Jul-20 20:00:30

Especially as they were cheap!

Iam64 Thu 09-Jul-20 20:20:38

I tried a few recipes. Delia came out top. Very easy to put together and as with most of her recipes you just cant go wrong. Other than the fact that my jeans have all shrunk - how can that be?

phoenix Thu 09-Jul-20 20:24:16

Bananas! Bleurgh!

CherryCezzy Thu 09-Jul-20 20:38:45

Couldn't put it better myself phoenix. One of my food hells.
Lizbethann you could say to hell with it and never bother trying again? I would say that of course .

MayBee70 Thu 09-Jul-20 20:39:20

I find tea bread easier. It’s funny how, at the start of the pandemic I thought I was the only person obsessively making banana bread only to find that everyone was doing it !

Furret Thu 09-Jul-20 20:43:54

Hate banana bread

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 20:51:50

Iam64 I tried Delia's recipe, and Mary Barry's, but they both came out solid and lumpen. Is it supposed to be like that? It was so heavy it clagged to the roof of my mouth!

Iam64 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:08:13

Chewbacca, I didn't try Mary's, but I did try Jamie and that was light. I've found Delia's comes out slightly differently each time. I've made about 7 now (hence the shrinking jeans). The latest one is heavier. Could it be that the banana's I used were much fresher than the previous ones. I've kept buying bananas despite the fact our chief banana eater, aged 2 "nana, nana nana". whilst pointing at them hasn't been visiting due to the virus. I usually make banana bread with help from one of the slightly older grandchildren. No wonder I'm eating the stuff -it's so quiet here.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 21:23:57

I could loan you 2 banana eaters if it would help Iam64? I'm sudenly acutely aware how much more food I'm suddenly buying again, compared to my miniscule food bill whilst under lockdown. hmm

Lisagran Thu 09-Jul-20 22:06:00

Banana muffins are quick and easy to make.....

Iam64 Sat 11-Jul-20 09:08:42

I wish Chewbacca - we have four who currently don't visit except the occasional brief garden call. I was shielding and currently I'm being Very Careful. The children and their parents are back at work, school, nursery and mixing with friends. So, not many bananas here

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 09:39:20

flowers Iam64, it won't be much longer now love; hang on in there.

Nortsat Sat 11-Jul-20 09:47:14

Chewie your ‘hang on on there, love’ post brought a tear to my eye.

I am feeling a bit jaded with shielding too - but you’re right ... not long now.

(I am not making any banana bread). ?

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 10:03:09

Ah Norstat I'm really sorry that this is dragging on and that you, and so many other GPs, are still having to isolate for what's felt like an eternity. It's a bugger to be sure. These are for you, to tide you over...... flowers

shysal Sat 11-Jul-20 10:17:00

Have you tried the BBC Food easiest ever banana cake recipe? I like it because there is no rubbing or creaming of butter, it uses oil instead. It makes a lovely moist loaf, even better spread with butter.
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easiest_ever_banana_cake_42108