Gransnet forums

Food

Tasteless cake, new recipe

(15 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 11-Aug-20 19:13:01

My friend emailed me a link for a Coop recipe, of a
Vanilla and Pea cake, so I thought I'd give it a go.

We like Carrot Cake, so why not try this.
Yesterday I made it, even braving the heat of the kitchen.

I had to wait until today to fill and ice it, as I had no unsalted butter.

So tonight we had a piece, after supper. I will not be making it again.

It is completely tasteless, and a rather peculiar texture, but it did look just like the picture given with the recipe.

Has anyone else made something that they thought would be a good idea, and then been disappointed?

DiscoGran Thu 13-Aug-20 09:50:55

When we get the fancy for cake I usually make a lemon drizzle as it is DHs favourite and I've always got the ingredients in.
Lately though, I have been making Italian biscotti. Really easy, perfect with your tea or coffee, and I freeze them so we aren't tempted to guzzle them all at once.
My last baking disaster was a batch of brown seeded bread rolls. They were like cricket balls. Going back to my usual half brown half white flour rolls.

Teetime Thu 13-Aug-20 09:58:55

Our favourite is Mary Berry's Treacle and Ginger traybake - lovely toffee and spice collaboration but you must use stem ginger and the juice from the jar. Very easy all in the bowl in one go.

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 10:04:28

I made a batch of cucumber soup yesterday (we have a glut of cucumbers), followed the recipe but I have had a taste and don't like it. It tastes bitter.
I'm just wondering whether to liquidise and chill it or pour it away down the loo.

MawB Thu 13-Aug-20 10:09:39

Do you remember the old biddy in the Vicar of Dibley who used to make the weirdest sounding ??cakes?
Vanilla and Pea sounds like one of those!

Chewbacca Thu 13-Aug-20 10:10:57

That's disappointing Callistemon, I was just looking at the pile of cucumber on the table and wondering whether soup would be a good idea. Perhaps not then.

FarNorth Thu 13-Aug-20 10:14:08

Pumpkin pie - an American classic apparently.
It was yukk.

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 10:15:54

I was remembering the toxic courgettes and wondering whether or not to eat it!

honeyrose Thu 13-Aug-20 10:17:28

I recently made cheese scones from
a recipe I saw online from a well known supermarket beginning with T! It was a 3 ingredient recipe - flour, grated cheese and natural yoghurt. Won’t make again. Like bullets - even eaten warm. Didn’t even like the taste. Tried one and kept the rest for the next day, intending to warm them through. Didn’t want to waste electricity on warming them through again next day, when it came to it, so I binned them. Hate wasting food and I waste very little food in reality. That’s one recipe I won’t be trying again! Waste of time, effort and food!

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 10:19:05

Gluten free pastry (which I've mentioned before).
Even a hacksaw wouldn't have got through it.

Chewbacca Thu 13-Aug-20 10:23:33

Has anyone tried the 3 ingredient scone recipe that was on GN site a little while ago? I think it had a can of lemonade in the recipe?

Auntieflo Thu 13-Aug-20 10:56:45

Oh Maw, I had forgotten that lady. ?

I have frozen the rest of the cake, and my friend who suggested it will be treated to a taste when they come home.

Actually, it has no taste at all really.

Calendargirl Thu 13-Aug-20 11:53:43

Callistemon

I made a batch of cucumber soup yesterday (we have a glut of cucumbers), followed the recipe but I have had a taste and don't like it. It tastes bitter.
I'm just wondering whether to liquidise and chill it or pour it away down the loo.

My cucumber soup is very good as a rule.

Perhaps best to taste a thin slice before cooking, to check the cucs haven’t got a bit old and bitter?

If they are ok, the soup shouldn’t turn out bitter.

I realise this advice is no help when the deed has been done!

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 12:04:20

They have grown very fast, Calendargirl so shouldn't have had a chance to get bitter and they've all been fine eaten in a salad. Just peeled, deseeded cucumbers, onions, garlic and stock from a Knorr stock cube.
DH said "I'd like to say it's nice after all that effort, but I can't, sorry".
It's gone down the pan now.

MiniMoon Thu 13-Aug-20 12:05:13

I once made a cake with plain flour in an absent minded moment. It was like a rubber disc.

Ah, Mrs. Cropley.
Letitia Cropley:
The question is whether I bring the snails I've got for my new recipe.

Frank Pickle:
What recipe is that?

Letitia Cropley:
Bread and Butter Pudding Surprise.