Gransnet forums

Food

So it’s thank you but goodbye Ocado ?

(48 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:31:17

I have had Ocado online food shopping deliveries ever since they started and they have never let me down, even bailing me out at short notice when I had messed up my order for the “bridesmaids’ breakfast” of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and Bucks Fizz before my daughter’s wedding)
They offered me slots during lockdown and their timing on deliveries (often to within 30 mins) has been exemplary.
BUT they have now signed themselves up with M&S own brands instead of Waitrose and looking at what is on offer, it’s not for me. So I am cancelling my “Smart Pass” and actually feel quite sad about it. I could still possibly have done the occasional shop, but not paying £9.99 a month for it. sadsad

Jane10 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:05:05

Are they only doing M&S?

bongobil Mon 24-Aug-20 11:07:40

May I ask what is on offer, is it mainly M & S ready meals that type of thing? I sometimes shop with Ocado and love their range be sad not to be able to get these items.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:07:41

Waitrose dropped them in order to do their own deliveries.

Riverwalk Mon 24-Aug-20 11:20:05

I'll be sticking with them - see how it goes.

In addition to M&S they will still be doing Ocado own brand plus all the other big name brands, everything but Waitrose own brand.

I just find them so reliable - over the years have occasionally strayed over to Waitrose's own delivery service, but it's not a patch on Ocado's.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:20:44

It’s still offering it’s own Ocado products bongo but also the M&S range as well ( instead of Waitrose).
We use Ocado weekly, so I will have to decide when I really have a good look at the range, but I have liked several M&S foods in the past.
Will you now use only Waitrose Maw?

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:27:45

@Riverwalk and Lemongrove I will probably use Waitrose but there’s a minimum of £60 which is easy enough to reach (!) but living on my own probably not advisable. M&S are great for ready meals, but I just don’t buy those, or if so, very occasionally. Most Ocado own brands are perfectly acceptable but if I have to go to Waitrose for the things I specially like, I am reluctant to pay the monthly delivery charge.
I just feel a bit sad because I value loyalty and feel I am being disloyal as a customer, but you have to do what is right for yourself don’t you?

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-20 11:33:21

I can recommend Sainsbury's.

Goodness knows what we'd have done without them during Lockdown.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:35:24

Yes of course you do, I wouldn’t worry about loyalty in this case, it’s what suits you.
We only have a ready meal now and again but I do remember that M&S do delicious hot cross buns ( which I shouldn’t have)? and a nice range of frozen foods and desserts.
Always a shame when things we like have to change though.

Riverwalk Mon 24-Aug-20 11:39:05

It's swings and roundabouts Maw on costs - Waitrose is free delivery but minimum £60 spend; Ocado approx £2.30/week for delivery and minimum spend of £40.

allium Mon 24-Aug-20 11:39:36

Ocado were the only one that gave me delivery slots during lockdown. Waitrose and Sainsburys nothing doing.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 11:40:58

I have registered with Ocado because they will be delivering M&S products, which I like better than Waitrose, but pity they’re not doing both. I don’t have ready meals, but I find veg, fruit, meat and fish decent quality from M&S. I think Ocado is quite expensive so will carry on with Tesco For staples, and who have been very reliable for the last few months.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:42:42

We still do a Tesco online shop now and then, as there are certain products from their own ranges that we like.

Lisagran Mon 24-Aug-20 11:45:20

We have a delivery from Sainsbury’s and a click and collect order from Waitrose (buying for a neighbour too). For click and collect at Waitrose you only have to spend £40. At our branch, you phone from outside the store and they bring the goods out to you. Been pleased with both stores over the past few months.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:00:13

Riverwalk

It's swings and roundabouts Maw on costs - Waitrose is free delivery but minimum £60 spend; Ocado approx £2.30/week for delivery and minimum spend of £40.

You’re right!
It might have a bit of a knee jerk reaction yesterday blush

Greeneyedgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 12:04:58

We only get a £2.50 delivery from Ocado if we spend £75 sad. Otherwise it’s £6.99. Does it depend whether you live I wonder?

Oopsminty Mon 24-Aug-20 12:07:09

I'm over the moon that M&S are finally joining the 21st Century and am looking forward to placing my first order.

So they lose one customer and gain another

ClaraB Mon 24-Aug-20 12:10:53

I will be shopping with Ocado so that I can get M & S food delivered!!

mary51 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:12:29

Slightly off topic but I'm intrigued by the scrambled eggs in the OP's Ocado/Waitrose order. How do they do that? Scrambled eggs are best made fresh and served at once in my view.

We did not get an affordable delivery slot from any supermarket until June.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-Aug-20 12:17:36

I'm confused, easily done, but my smartpass is £1.99 a month and no delivery charges. I use it intermittently and it was a life saver during lockdown. So I carry on paying it even if I don't use it for months.

TwiceAsNice Mon 24-Aug-20 12:35:13

That’s nice Flexible Friend . My smart pass is £3-99 a month! I do like Ocado and use them about twice a month. I will miss Waitrose tartare sauce which I think is better than any other brand ( and I have tried loads!) but am hoping M&S brands will be good too

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 12:37:15

I’m interested in the delivery charges others are quoting, as I don’t think I’ve ever paid for an Ocado delivery, and I used to get them regularly. confused Looking at their site now I see I could get free deliveries at any time tomorrow or Wednesday.

The only supermarket that would deliver to us from March to July was Sainsburys. I’m feeling quite loyal to them now, especially as they’ve just sent me vouchers for £10 off my next five shops. We get free deliveries for midweek orders over £100 from them as well.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-Aug-20 12:38:43

Why are we all paying different amounts for the smart pass?
Mine is really cheap but I'm not a great or frequent shopper, so makes no sense to me.

SueDonim Mon 24-Aug-20 13:03:14

Maybe Ocado will expand their delivery area to where I live!

I couldn’t get any deliveries at all until the end of June, when Sainsbury's became available. I’ve now taken out a pass with them as I prefer not to go into a store if I can help it. That’s not so much for fear of catching anything but more because I find I feel harassed and under pressure to ‘grab & go’ and end up missing stuff.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:20:21

mary51

Slightly off topic but I'm intrigued by the scrambled eggs in the OP's Ocado/Waitrose order. How do they do that? Scrambled eggs are best made fresh and served at once in my view.

We did not get an affordable delivery slot from any supermarket until June.

Ha ha
Eggs, cream, butter of course.