Gransnet forums

Food

Hot Chocolate at bed time, does it cause insomnia?

(29 Posts)
FarawayGran Thu 22-Oct-20 01:04:04

I was making a hot chocolate drink at bed time, and my lovely DIL who was staying with us recently said that chocolate has as much caffeine as coffee. It is a stimulant, she said. Perhaps that is why I suffer from insomnia.
I used to be given cocoa at bed time when I was a child. (but I always slept well then)
What do you think? Have I been causing my insomnia while trying to get to sleep with hot chocolate?

EllanVannin Thu 22-Oct-20 06:37:49

The amount of caffeine is negligible and wouldn't make any difference.
Plain hot milk is best at bedtime, nothing added.

Calendargirl Thu 22-Oct-20 06:44:15

I always have cocoa made with milk, hot chocolate has so much sugar,
Sleep ok really.

cornergran Thu 22-Oct-20 06:55:42

Hot chocolate at any time makes me sleepy so I’m not sure. Why not try an experiment farawaygran? Try other milky drinks at bed time and see if your sleep pattern improves. Good luck with it.

craftyone Thu 22-Oct-20 07:03:01

DIL is correct farawaygran. you would be better having a malted milk or horlicks

JackyB Thu 22-Oct-20 10:39:27

I like hot milk with honey and find I sleep well on it. The only problem is I like to drink it in bed but then I have to get up again to clean my teeth!

Alcohol, OTOH, is a definite no-no. Not good for sleep at all. Shame, as a dash of whisky or brandy in the milk would be nice and comforting, too.

JackyB Thu 22-Oct-20 10:41:34

But sometimes I have cocoa and don't find it makes any difference.

As cornergran says, just experiment and see what works for you.

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 10:44:04

I tend to sleep badly now and sometimes come down at about 3 am and make myself a cup of cocoa - I find hot chocolate too sweet.
It usually sends me off again.
I couldn’t drink plain hot milk - even the smell of it makes me heave. ?

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:48:15

I restrict my liquids in the evening, in my case that is coffee because I would be up to the loo especially if I had a drink just before bedtime. I hate milk and like Witzend hot milk would also make me heave.

merlotgran Thu 22-Oct-20 10:51:16

Hot chocolate or cocoa has me up and down to the loo all night. Lovely and comforting though it is.

Allegretto Thu 22-Oct-20 10:55:22

Try hot milk with a drop of vanilla extract. The vanilla gives it a great flavour without the sugar content of chocolate.

Stansgran Thu 22-Oct-20 11:00:07

Weak milky decaf instant for me.Sounds awful but it’s my bedtime drink.

CleoPanda Thu 22-Oct-20 11:02:10

Any drink before I go to sleep keeps me awake! If I had chocolate or coffee or tea, I would be up twice for the loo, but even a cold drink keeps me awake.
My last drink is at 9pm at the latest. Sleep very well then.
You could experiment? Try no drinks for 3 nights and log results, then introduce a drink at various times. See what the difference is.

Auntieflo Thu 22-Oct-20 11:29:22

Horlicks for me, but only when feeling "one degree under"

Farmor15 Thu 22-Oct-20 12:04:03

I find eating chocolate in the evening causes me to have disturbed sleep - apart from a small amount of caffeine, it has another stimulant, theobromine.

Bathsheba Thu 22-Oct-20 12:41:15

If I can't sleep I make myself a mug of hot milk with honey stirred in and grated nutmeg on top. Usually works for me.

Alexa Thu 22-Oct-20 12:43:48

I'd stay on the safe side and have weak Ovaltine , or thin porridge.

Alexa Thu 22-Oct-20 12:46:10

I don't even like milk any more and have been drinking Oatly for months possible years even since I first saw it in the Coop.

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 22-Oct-20 12:58:05

I have suffered from insomnia for most of my life and have carried out numerous "experiments" with various drinks, foods etc. There seems to be no correlation between hot chocolate and being awake at 3am. Of course, leave out the hot chocolate for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Purplepixie Thu 22-Oct-20 13:00:44

I’ve stopped drinking hot chocolate at bedtime as I am sure it was keeping me awake. I now have some warm water and I do sleep a lot better.

MawB2 Thu 22-Oct-20 13:16:30

I had a hot milk with honey and a glug of brandy last night.
I needn’t have bothered - Hattie woke me up to go out about 1.30, then woke me up again two hours later sneaking on to the bed, then I lay awake for another hour or so, I skimmed through GN, read the online paper and fell asleep about 5
???

lemongrove Thu 22-Oct-20 13:24:07

I had instant hot chocolate last night ( and the night before) and slept well.I usually have either Earl Grey or peppermint tea about 9-10 pm and wake up a lot, so will stick with the hot choc drink( or instant Horlicks) I don’t like too much milk.

MawB2 Thu 22-Oct-20 13:32:26

I’ll stick to the brandy on its own next time!

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 22-Oct-20 15:01:35

I think the hot milk far outweighs any caffeine in the chocolate. I did look into this too, and couldn’t find anything to suggest it would keep you awake. I always eat a banana before bed too, as they contain melatonin.

NfkDumpling Thu 22-Oct-20 15:15:06

A cup of half strength Options (full strength is too sweet) sends me to sleep within half an hour for a full night. Horlicks is too fattening!