Gransnet forums

Food

Fed up with damp Rocket

(10 Posts)
lilypollen Thu 29-Oct-20 19:24:51

I will stop wasting a £1 a pop on these bags of leaves that are slimy after one day. Last week bought a bag that are Fr**h and Na**d, unwashed for longer life. Wet in the bag and I had to use immediately despite the BB being 3 days hence. Sent comments to company who were pretty dismissive. Bought a washed bag from the big one yesterday, beginning to be slimy so using today though I wanted them for tomorrow's supper with friends.

May7 Thu 29-Oct-20 19:52:02

If you open the bag and put some kitchen roll into it this helps it stop it going slimy. Works with watercress too

Pantglas2 Thu 29-Oct-20 20:05:39

I decant it from the bag, toss in a clean tea towel then store in Tupperware- it seems to make a huge difference.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 20:23:43

Refresh in iced water, air dry on kitchen roll or tea towel in fridge. Place in Tupperware (or similar) container with kitchen roll on the base.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Oct-20 21:02:20

Why keep buying it, there are other greens not in plastic bags sorry if that seems blunt.

lilypollen Fri 30-Oct-20 17:08:43

I dry the leaves and I've tried the kitchen towel trick with limited success. Maybe it's because the weather is colder now so I won't be buying for a while but it is my choice for salad simply because I like the taste and watercress is too strong. Romaine and cress it will have to be!

Kittye Fri 30-Oct-20 18:28:01

I buy bags of the ready washed and wilt it down in a pan with butter it’s delicious served hot with salmon

Lavazza1st Fri 30-Oct-20 19:21:11

When I saw the title I thought damp rocket was a euphemism !?

I'm having a bad day, sorry flowers

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 17:31:50

I cannot say I have had this problem. I have kept both opened and unopened packs of rocket in my fridge for several days without any problem.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:42:20

Growing it is a doddle then you never need to worry about slimy rocket.