Gransnet forums

Food

slow cooked shoulder of lamb

(28 Posts)
biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 18:07:51

never done it before- friends coming tomorrow for lunch. Will get up early to cook for 4 hours, with garlic, rosemary and thyme, salt, pepper and a bit of paprika.

MaizieD Sat 05-Dec-20 18:10:32

Sounds lovely, biba

I always think that shoulder is some of the best meat.

I think I'd have cooked it for dinner/supper though grin

Ealdemodor Sat 05-Dec-20 18:11:59

Sounds yummy. Enjoy!

Ilovecheese Sat 05-Dec-20 18:37:39

One of our favourites, we had it last night.

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 18:43:12

I do a Persian-style slow-cooked shoulder of lamb overnight in the slow oven of my range -you brown it and then put it on a bed of carrots and onions and some boiling water, tented in tinfoil - then roughly carve it and serve with pomegranate seeds and mint.
Absolutely idiot-proof.

Friends to lunch eh?
That would be nice but alas not permitted here sad

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 18:46:20

Can I come over and eat it at yours Maw when we’re allowed. That sounds delicious.

An idiot.
?

Riverwalk Sat 05-Dec-20 18:49:22

Shoulder is perfect for slow cooking.

I also do it Middle Eastern-style, similar to this

Lamb

I put the lamb on a bed of sliced red onion and a tin of chick peas/cannellini/black-eyed beans, to give it some 'give'.

midgey Sat 05-Dec-20 18:52:23

If the shoulder has lovely crispy skin could I have some please!

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 19:45:30

I did slow cooked lamb a couple of weeks ago with garlic and rosemary with root veg.
It was only for us so there was plenty for the next day.

I haven't tried it Middle Eastern style - can you buy dried pomegranate seeds or do you have to de-seed a pomegranate?

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Dec-20 20:13:40

Wish we could have family/friends for lunch..I’d cook anything they’d like.

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Dec-20 20:16:39

Sorry biba70 that was a bit me, me, me..it will be delicious, a favourite of ours, I sometimes buy a half shoulder to curry too. Enjoy.

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 20:22:07

Sorry- yes young friends and 2 young children, cut off from their families in Cork and Birmingham- and in need of a bit of tlc- and yes, allowed here.

Will have a look at the recipe Riverwalk- no shopping on Sundays here- so will have to use whatever I've got here. Will do green beans, and roast veg mix, potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions and garlic.

Eve's pudding with custard for pud. All last minute- only asked them this morning- as had to cancel my visit to them last week due to very heavy snow and horrendous road conditions

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 20:23:27

wow- like the sound of that. Young mum is half Indian, so will use the spices - thanks.

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 21:23:30

Eve's pudding with custard for pud.

My Mum used to make that.
I have made a version with plums.

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 21:25:23

Callistemon - supermarkets generally have plastic tubs of pomegranate seeds. If not , getting the seeds put is so easy, cut them in half then bash each half upside down with a wooden spoon holding it over a bowl or the lamb itself.

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-20 21:38:37

I love slow cooked shoulder of lamb.
A favourite with all the family, but paprika? No it has to be traditional.
It is beautiful slow cooked on a bed of thinly sliced potato and onion but you have to like rather fatty veg.
I do so to me it is heaven.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 21:47:55

My mum used to roast breast of lamb in the oven. Food of the gods with crunchy roast potatoes, peas and mint sauce. Greasy, yes a bit (the lamb) but my sister & I adored it. I think it was quite a cheap meal - all those bones -

Sorry, digressing there biba. Talk of lamb in the oven just recalled the memory!

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 21:53:38

Not digressing at all, it is the subject of this chat, no?

No tubs of pomegranate seeds here MawBe- really not.

I shall go for Riverwalk middle Eastern recipe, fast to start with, then slow for 4 hours, really fancy that- and cook veg seperately.

Fennel Sat 05-Dec-20 22:07:26

I agree with annsixty.shoulder of lamb is an un -appeciated joint.
Nothing complicated, just slow cooked in the oven over a bed of seasonal veg.
In Jewish tradition, probably Muslim too, we don't eat the leg of lamb. Because of the story in the OT about the damage to Jacob's thigh sinew during his fight with the unknown angel. This week's reading.

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 22:14:21

MawBe

Callistemon - supermarkets generally have plastic tubs of pomegranate seeds. If not , getting the seeds put is so easy, cut them in half then bash each half upside down with a wooden spoon holding it over a bowl or the lamb itself.

Thanks, MawB

I haven't eaten a pomegranate for years because I found it very fiddly.

EllanVannin Sat 05-Dec-20 22:14:59

Shoulder is a lovely flavour---sweet as a nut. It's a while since I've had that cut of lamb. I must get a half for next Sunday.

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 22:23:46

I agree EV it has a sweeter flavour than leg, I definitely prefer it and can never understand why it is cheaper than leg - more difficult to carve perhaps? !

EllanVannin Sat 05-Dec-20 22:35:54

Probably, Maw as well as being a bit on the fatty side if you're unlucky.

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 22:42:43

Which is what gives it that lovely sweet flavour.
We have been so brainwashed into thinking low-fat everything is best, but lean meat can be quite tasteless !

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 23:13:13

You can always use a separator for the 'jus'