Gransnet forums

Food

Stodgy, sticky cheesecake

(31 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 01-Aug-21 20:11:34

When I was a teenager, a real treat was a slice of cheesecake. It was stodgy enough to be claggy in the mouth, and sticky enough to stick to the roof of my mouth (I know it sounds disgusting, but I adored it).

Fast forward 40 years and I have no idea what happened to that type of cheesecake. 'Modern' cheesecakes look right but have nothing like the right texture.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd pay quite a lot to buy that kind of quality, but have never been able to find it.

Peasblossom Sun 01-Aug-21 20:17:09

That’s a baked cheesecake you’re describing.

Most shop cheesecake is set cold, more like a mousse.

Waitrose do quite a good one on their cake counter, by the slice.
But really you need a proper baker who makes his own.

Skydancer Sun 01-Aug-21 20:19:05

Believe it or not, in the 1970s I put pepper on a slice of cheesecake because, never having seen it before, I assumed it to be savoury. Later in the 70s I went to Australia where their cheesecake was absolutely delicious. In my opinion, the ones where the cheese bit is uncooked is far better than the cooked type. In other words, you basically just use cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice and chill it as I recall.

GagaJo Sun 01-Aug-21 20:19:24

I think that's what I had Peasblossom. That was where we used to eat it, in a fancy French deli/cafe.

I'll try the Waitrose one, thanks for recommending!

If anyone knows where I can get a great one in Newcastle, I'd be very grateful.

Callistemon Sun 01-Aug-21 20:31:16

I think a New York cheesecake is more like that, Gagajo.

I'm not sure where to buy one but there are recipes online, not sure which to recommend as it's a long time since I made one like that as I make one with cream or ricotta cheese and lemon juice now.

I think ricotta with some cream cheese, eg Philly, makes a more dense cheesecake.

Ellianne Sun 01-Aug-21 20:32:38

The Waitrose New York Cheesescake is yummy. As is the Key Lime one.

Ellianne Sun 01-Aug-21 20:35:36

Sorry, it might be Zesty Lime cheesecake.

Jaxjacky Sun 01-Aug-21 20:36:33

I’ll see if I can fish out the recipe for Delia’s original baked cheesecake Gagajo it is exactly as you’ve described and boy is it dense! I love a sliver, and will be making one soon.

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 20:37:01

Rosie’s in Gosforth (if it’s still open) ?

Lincslass Sun 01-Aug-21 20:37:46

New York cheesecake and Käsekuchen, both delicious and proper baked cheesecake. See Bigger Bolder Baking for her NYC recipe, delicious.

cornishpatsy Sun 01-Aug-21 20:43:37

I only like the traditional baked cheesecake, I remember it from the seventies. It used to have a few sultanas in the one I used to have.

Jaxjacky Sun 01-Aug-21 20:47:50

Without going into the loft, this is close, but I used plain digestives and whipped cream on top with a bit of fruit!

blog.lakeland.co.uk/recipe/mary-berrys-american-baked-cheesecake/

GagaJo Sun 01-Aug-21 20:49:21

Blossoming

Rosie’s in Gosforth (if it’s still open) ?

Good grief. I've walked past there SO many times. Closed now unfortunately. I think the covid effect.

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 22:09:43

What a shame! Beautiful cakes and pastries.

Doodledog Mon 02-Aug-21 00:21:43

The M&S one in the 70s was amazing! That had sultanas and a faint lemon taste.

They haven’t stocked it for years, unfortunately- it probably broke all of the rules about fat content and sugar.

BigBertha1 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:02:59

Delia has a good recipe for New York cheesecake.

Redhead56 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:06:05

Google this one The Good House Keeping baked lemon cheesecake. It’s what you get at a proper deli in New York it’s rich intense and gorgeous been making it for years.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Aug-21 10:16:28

I used to make a baked cheesecake a lot as they are really easy.
I'll see if I can find the recipe.

tiredoldwoman Mon 02-Aug-21 12:57:21

I used to love M&S cheesecake wedge in the 70's . I had a bash at making it last year using a New York cheesecake recipe but adding sultanas soaked in lemon juice then when it came out of the oven I poured a wee bit of melted butter mixed with lemon juice over it to glaze it . It was exactly then same as the M&S one !

GagaJo Thu 05-Aug-21 11:35:05

So I did a taste test on the Waitrose New York cheesecake. Certainly very rich but NOT the cheesecake I remember.

I'll try M&S next.

MawBe Thu 05-Aug-21 13:52:13

You are noble Gagajo undertaking this selfless research ?

Platypus Thu 05-Aug-21 14:04:28

Skydancer that Australian cheesecake you recall is bang on. I’ll pm you the recipe - it’s delish.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Aug-21 17:47:04

This is the recipe I used to make a lot.
It's taken from The Wholefood Book (1978) by George Seddon and Jackie Burrow.
It's a baked cheesecake and once you've got the basic idea you can use more or less fruit, cream cheese, cream instead of yogurt etc.
I don't remember it ever failing.

Doodledog Fri 06-Aug-21 12:32:14

Is curd cheese American for cottage cheese, or is it what we would call cream cheese?

I really fancy a go at that recipe - thanks for posting it.

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Aug-21 13:18:52

No. Curd cheese is different but it would work with a cream cheese if low fat nd not too watery I think. Or you could blend (or push through a sieve) ordinary cottage cheese. That would be very similar. I think I've done that in the past.

Curd Cheese is actually made from skimmed milk and then is started with lactic acid. It's not aged and is slightly tangy. It's very low fat.

I remember straining home-made yogurt to make this in the past... but I think I let it drip overnight.

Curd cheese is on the "dry" end in the mouth. That's what you're aiming for I think.
Can you get Quark? That's like it. I bet Fromage Frais would do.
I found this recipe quite forgiving to be honest. Admittedly, haven't made it for ages - but I will now!