Gransnet forums

Food

Lemon meringue pie leaking again!

(9 Posts)
Witzend Sat 18-Sep-21 11:12:47

I made a big one yesterday - in a 12 inch flan dish - to take to a barbecue today. It’s exactly 3 times an old GH recipe, to fill the pastry shell almost to the top, and is always nice, but it always leaks sticky liquid after it’s cooled. I’ve got it on a tray so it won’t really matter, but it invariably happens.

I’m reluctant to mess with the recipe, but I suppose rather less water next time might do it - but then it wouldn’t fill the pastry shell. Anyone else had this happen?

I only make one about once a year - rather a faff doing it all from scratch - but it’s a favourite of dh and always goes down well at his (single) friend’s annual barbecue.

Redhead56 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:15:16

It helps if you coat the inside of the base with egg before you bake it. Try that next time I am sure it will be delicious I love lemon desserts.

greenlady102 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:16:03

IIRC the leackage is from the meringue, not the pie filling....hang on

greenlady102 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:18:07

@Witzend www.nigella.com/ask/lemon-meringue-pie

shysal Sat 18-Sep-21 14:55:23

This might help.
www.nigella.com/ask/lemon-meringue-pie.

-------------------------
I always make my lemon filling from condensed milk and never have a weeping problem;
400gm can of condensed milk,
juice and zest of 1 lemon,
3 egg yolks, beaten and sieved.
Mix together.

shysal Sat 18-Sep-21 14:56:02

greenlady, great minds think alike!

Auntieflo Sat 18-Sep-21 18:38:32

I just want a piece of Lemon Meringue pie now, please.

Amberone Sat 18-Sep-21 20:11:44

Oooooooh Witzend one of my most favourite desserts, and I really wouldn't care how much it leaked. I'm sitting here salivating just thinking about it. Sorry, can't help with your problem though. But I expect someone will.

Witzend Sun 19-Sep-21 09:59:18

Thank you all - I’ll def. try some of your tips. Of course it didn’t really matter, except for all the sticky stuff on the dish and the tray I put it on.

People seemed to enjoy it anyway. Dh loves a LMP and I only make it about once a year. Less of a faff since I bought myself a little zesting gadget though - zesting 3 lemons with the old box grater was the bit I particularly loathed!