Gransnet forums

Food

Disappointing Jersey New Potatoes

(20 Posts)
granma47 Mon 16-May-22 11:07:24

Why are Jersey new potatoes so disappointing these days. I buy them from Booths supermarket at best price but they just don't taste as nice as they used to.

H1954 Mon 16-May-22 11:10:41

I agree and they don't keep very long either - there's a different thread today about short shelf life of fruit and veg.

I have just de-eyed, washed and boiled almost 1.5kg of jersey royals because they were sprouting.

We will have some tonight with roast red cabbage and sauasages and the rest will be used in the next couple of days.

Mrsluckhurst Mon 16-May-22 11:27:48

I'm glad I've seen this, I thought it was just me, my taste isn't what it used to be as I've got older. I remember jerseys always had that unique flavour that other baby potatoes never had, it seems to have changed completely. Maybe they are being grown in a different way.

tanith Mon 16-May-22 11:33:39

Yes the same lack of taste here too it is very disappointing.

Tizliz Mon 16-May-22 11:40:07

If you Google this you will see it has been debated for at least 10 years. Most probable answer is that they don’t use seaweed so much for fertiliser. Makes you wonder if they are worth the extra money now

PinkCosmos Mon 16-May-22 11:44:10

I have also thought this and wondered if I was losing my sense of taste.

I have tried our local small new potatoes and they have been very nice. I can't remember the variety but you can buy them in Asda when they are season

Kate1949 Mon 16-May-22 11:50:34

I've posted on a other thread about this. We had some in our Tesco delivery this week. Half were bad and the rest were tasteless.

essjay Mon 16-May-22 11:54:20

I also thought it was just me, they really do not taste the same as they used to.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 12:07:33

Mine from Tesco taste as lovely as ever.

shysal Mon 16-May-22 12:14:43

I haven't bought any yet, but want to try this Tesco magazine recipe. I hope the potatoes won't disappoint.
realfood.tesco.com/recipes/jersey-royal-topped-salmon-and-spinach-pie.html

midgey Mon 16-May-22 12:31:40

Did you forget the mint and butter? They make all the difference! What I would like to know is where are the Jersey Mids that we used to have?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 12:35:51

Thanks for the recipe Shysal, looks good.

Sgilley Mon 16-May-22 12:45:16

I really don’t think they taste so distinctive as they used to. And agree they do not last very well.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 16-May-22 15:01:12

Midget I wonder if they use them in the canning industry in tins of new potatoes. My Dh always said that was the case when we had a fruit and veg shop.
I always cook more than I need because if you have cold boiled potatoes in the fridge(not oiled or buttered) and eat them daily they are apparently very good for helping with good gut bacteria.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 16-May-22 15:01:52

Sorry midgey that was autocorrect x

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-May-22 15:14:36

midgey

Did you forget the mint and butter? They make all the difference! What I would like to know is where are the Jersey Mids that we used to have?

They have them in Aldis

Kim19 Mon 16-May-22 15:20:40

I used to love JPs. I've now come to the conclusion that my disappointment is due to a combination of exaggerated memory of 'the taste' and a deterioration in my taste buds over the years.

Curlywhirly Mon 16-May-22 15:30:59

Can you get Cheshire potatoes in other parts of the country? I live in Cheshire and they are far superior to Jersey Royals, we are having them tonight with gammon and cheesy leeks.

Blossoming Mon 16-May-22 15:43:20

Mr. B fetched some from Lidl a few weeks ago and they were lovely, steamed and served with a little butter.

Kim19 Mon 16-May-22 16:26:11

Thanks C, I'll definitely look out for Cheshire brand.