Gransnet forums

Food

Platinum pudding - is this a joke?

(148 Posts)
Kate54 Mon 16-May-22 19:32:13

I thought I might have a go at making the winning recipe in this competition come the time. The brief included ‘must be easy to make at home’.
Are they mad? Who in their right mind would make from scratch the Swiss roll, the lemon curd, the custard and the amaretti biscuits?
The mandarin orange coulis (from a tin) is doable but the rest?
I’m waiting for the trifle sponge version.

M0nica Mon 16-May-22 19:42:18

Kate54 I was just about to start a thread on the same subject. The recipe was in the papers this morning, I think I counted 36 ingredients and about 5 layers. The list of ingredients was so long my count was cursory.

Even if you bought in the swiss roll, lemon curd, custard etc, you are still faced with a complicated assembly job.

But in many ways it is typical of the way recipes are going at present. No self respecting media outlet will consider publishing a recipe, in any form, unless it has at least 15 ingredients, 5 of which should be of the esoteric, use once and then leave to moulder in the cupboard for several years before you throw it out variety.

Will I even attempt to make it? No. I have several recipes for delicious cold sweets that can be made in a tenth of the time needed to make this dish and fraction of the cost

Iam64 Mon 16-May-22 19:53:12

I suppose you can buy ready made Swiss rolls, lemon curd and so on but, it’s a boringly long task to assemble. I’d rather make a trad trifle of some kind - simple

MawtheMerrier Mon 16-May-22 19:59:40

But in many ways it is typical of the way recipes are going at present. No self respecting media outlet will consider publishing a recipe, in any form, unless it has at least 15 ingredients, 5 of which should be of the esoteric, use once and then leave to moulder in the cupboard for several years before you throw it out variety

My feelings exactly.
(Where’s the quinoa, tempeh and kefir I ask myself? )

Kate54 Mon 16-May-22 20:05:07

Supposed to be two hours ‘prep time’. Again, come off it people. This recipe is supposed to be heading for the same iconic status as Coronation Chicken. I don’t think so.

MrsKen33 Mon 16-May-22 20:09:18

Birds make a good packet trifle, with sprinkles’ which are sadly lacking in the Platinum one. I’m sure the more inventive among us could adapt one to something really spectacular.

Grandma70s Mon 16-May-22 20:19:36

I think it would be quite easy to make with readymade ingredients. Marks and Spencer do a lemon curd Swiss roll. I wouldn’t dream of making it from scratch, but I quite like the idea of a lemony trifle.

Elizabeth27 Mon 16-May-22 20:26:09

I shall wait for M&S to make it.

OakDryad Mon 16-May-22 20:31:18

Did you read about Rachel Cooke's effort? It looks wonderful but the taste verdict was boring and too sweet.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/14/queen-platinum-jubilee-pudding-recipe-fortnum-and-mason

Kalu Mon 16-May-22 20:34:19

One may find the necessary ingredients in one’s food bank.

Kalu Mon 16-May-22 20:36:53

Forgot to add a few of these !!!!!

Aveline Mon 16-May-22 20:42:07

I'm going to have a go assembling it from bought in ingredients. Should be easy enough.

Lido Mon 16-May-22 20:42:56

I wonder what it costs to make? Do many households have two Swiss roll tins? I suppose you could make them one at a time. What a palaver.

Blossoming Mon 16-May-22 20:45:07

I’m going with the Birds Trifle in a box.

buffyfly9 Mon 16-May-22 20:47:25

The whole thing is ridiculous, at a time of huge price increases where even food banks and community kitchens cannot cope I think it is obscene. I'm not being a misery and I confess I am a Republican where the royals are concerned but the whole concept is flawed. As stated earlier, this "pudding" will not be going down in history along with Coronation Chicken etc. I'm sure HM would prefer we spend the ingredient cost to a homeless charity !!

LtEve Mon 16-May-22 21:07:34

I’d probably make the Swiss rolls and the lemon curd but I don’t like jelly in trifle so would give that a miss. Would buy the ammeretto biscuits, my Mum used to put those in trifle. I would add sherry too as that would remind me of my Mums trifle. Assembling it wouldn’t be difficult. I might give it a go at some point over the summer. You don’t need another recipe to substitute ready made ingredients if you want to.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 16-May-22 21:08:29

I’m not even going to attempt to make it. I love trifle but not one with jelly in it. However I still make the original Coronation Chicken from the Constance Spry Cookery book, served with a simple rice salad. My family love it and I always make it for Boxing Day.

nandad Mon 16-May-22 21:11:31

I was so excited when I heard about this. Lemon is the only thing I can taste, so I was going to make this for the Jubilee. Then I saw the list of ingredients and how much cost and faff is involved. I consider myself to be a capable cook but I think I would struggle to get this done in 2 hours. The depth of the triffle bowl means that you would end up with either the top layer being scooped up first or someone is going to try and dig into all layers and you will end up with a huge mess.
The cost of making this, even if you use short cuts, means a lot of people aren’t even going to try.
My alternative, buy Asda’s lemon ring cake. Stab it with a skewer and drip some lemon juice on it. Whip up some cream mixed with lemon curd, cover the ring with it. Sprinkle some thyme leaves and edible flowers (if you’re posh), or some sprinkles or amaretti biscuits or white chocolate. Ta dah. 10 minutes to make, £5 at most and easily sliced. No chance of it going wrong,
Thank me later.

Dinahmo Mon 16-May-22 21:30:23

Quite frankly I'm amazed at some of the responses. Bought Swiss roll? That won't be made with proper lemon curd. Birds' custard? There's a time and a place for everything.

None of it is difficult. But I wouldn't make amaretti biscuits

M0nica Mon 16-May-22 21:43:50

Two hours prep time! just for the pudding? They must be joking.

I do not think it looks anything special anyway, I can think of several ways of getting that layer and colour effect in a fraction of the time and a fraction of the cost.

BlueBelle Mon 16-May-22 21:48:51

Sounds horrible Combinations

Yammy Mon 16-May-22 21:50:59

Lido

I wonder what it costs to make? Do many households have two Swiss roll tins? I suppose you could make them one at a time. What a palaver.

It was in the Sunday Times yesterday. A woman had tried it and used every bowl in her kitchen and on top of the cost of all the other ingredients has, had to buy a bottle of Amaretti at £19 to make the biscottis.She obviously wasn't a usual cook as she had to try and buy a swiss role tin but who these days has one? Mine is ten years old and never been out of the wrapper.
I'm waiting for the M&s version and I like cooking.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 21:51:52

Iam64

I suppose you can buy ready made Swiss rolls, lemon curd and so on but, it’s a boringly long task to assemble. I’d rather make a trad trifle of some kind - simple

I don't think it's easy to find a readymade Swiss roll with just lemon curd.

They all seem to contain buttercream which melts and looks rather unpleasant in blobs in the jelly.

I know from experience ?

DH will ask where the raspberries are .....

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 21:54:00

The depth of the triffle bowl means that you would end up with either the top layer being scooped up first or someone is going to try and dig into all layers and you will end up with a huge mess.

Yes, I did wonder what kind of spoon you'd need to dig it out so everyone gets a bit of each layer.

Blossoming Mon 16-May-22 21:57:31

Dinahmo

Quite frankly I'm amazed at some of the responses. Bought Swiss roll? That won't be made with proper lemon curd. Birds' custard? There's a time and a place for everything.

None of it is difficult. But I wouldn't make amaretti biscuits

grin