Gransnet forums

Food

Ideas for salads please

(65 Posts)
Dizza25 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:02:50

Hi everyone, not very innovative when it comes to salads. Tend to just use leaves/lettuce, cucumber, radish, tomato and spring onion chopped or sliced up. Any ideas for more interesting salads? As a side dish or as a main. They can’t include grains - rice couscous etc as DH is allergic but can handle lentils. TIA.

nanna8 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:26:30

I often add dried cranberries to salads. You can get them in Aldinand where they sell dried fruit. In Summer I often do a watermelon salad with watermelon, fetta cheese, cucumber, red onion or spring onions. You can use a fruity vinegar and olive oil or just olive oil and lemon juice. Easy too.

MiniMoon Sun 03-Jul-22 13:30:19

I add sliced strawberries and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
I sometimes add pinenuts or toasted cashews.

Spice101 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:30:59

Roasted pumpkin and beetroot salad.

Cut pumpkin and beetroot into roughly 1" cubes and bake until tender.
Toss cooled pumpkin and beetroot together with lettuce, spinach or rocket add pieces of feta cheese and dress with balsamic dressing. Add toasted pine nuts for added crunch.

Soroptimum Sun 03-Jul-22 13:36:57

Greek salad - feta, olives etc. Salad Nicoise- tuna, cold potatoes, green beans, etc.

Mamie Sun 03-Jul-22 13:40:14

One of our favourites is broccoli, avocados and red pepper in oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

Dizza25 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:48:04

Thanks for the ideas so far, I’ll definitely try them.

bevisp1 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:49:08

I get fed up with just the usual as you mentioned, been adding beetroot, fresh in the packet (not jars), or peas, prawns, and seedless grapes, like you might find with a ploughmans. I don’t put all these food on the same salad but to vary it. Cottage cheese with pineapple I like too.

RichmondPark Sun 03-Jul-22 14:41:55

Grated carrot or courgette, orange segments, olives, artichoke (the sections you buy in jars of oil), canned mixed salad beans, strips of grilled pepper, croutons....not all at once. smile

Ro60 Sun 03-Jul-22 15:04:16

Marinated mushrooms: Slice mushrooms, toss in vinegar & oil dressing.
I vary the oils & vinegar but usually olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Leave to marinade for at least 1 hour.

H1954 Sun 03-Jul-22 15:07:17

Grated raw carrot, sweet corn and peeled fresh orange are always included in our salads, as well as new potatoes or potato salad, beetroot, boiled eggs.........the list is endless, just have to use your imagination.

62Granny Sun 03-Jul-22 15:18:30

I do one with New Potatoes, fine green beans, tomatoes, red onion, with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I sometimes add some olives or capers or rocket leaves as well. Also lettuce ( usually Gem ) finely chopped beetroot and grated carrot with a creamy dressing , I use Paul Newman's Ranch dressing.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 03-Jul-22 15:31:54

Olives are a favourite, beetroot, grated cheese, hard boiled egg cut into two, balsamic vinegar, tinned salmon.

Esspee Sun 03-Jul-22 17:13:51

Our favourite is a mango salad/salsa served as a side dish.
I use one slightly under ripe mango cut into thin julienne strips plus the following in roughly similar amounts and size of pieces, red and orange sweet peppers, raw carrot, and red onion, mix well then add lemon or lime juice, salt, freshly ground black pepper, sugar, garlic granules and chilli flakes and lots of fresh coriander leaves roughly cut up. I sometimes add long strips of spring onions and reduce the red onion. Stir well, addingadding1 more lemon/lime juice so that it is wet then leave for as long as you can. Stir then taste. At this point you might want to add more sugar or salt and more chilli if there are no children to cater for. Ideally leave overnight in the fridge but it can be eaten straight away. Any left can be chopped smaller and used the next day as a salsa with wraps or sandwiches.

Esspee Sun 03-Jul-22 18:58:35

Nobody has mentioned coleslaw which is a very popular side salad.
Kitchen goddesses will no doubt make their own mayonnaise but for the rest of us….crush a peg of garlic until creamy, mix into your usual Mayonnaise or salad cream and allow to stand while you prepare the veg.
Very finely slice a white cabbage, different coloured sweet peppers, red onion, the green of spring onions and celery leaves, using a potato peeler make slivers of raw carrot. Mix with enough of the garlic mayonnaise to just coat all the ingredients.
If someone doesn’t like garlic you can add tomato purée or lime/lemon juice instead.
I sometimes add in red cabbage, a little for colour, but only just before serving as it “bleeds” into the mayonnaise.

Quick tip. If you are vegan Hellman’s Vegan Mayonnaise tastes just like real mayonnaise. No idea how they do that.

MrsKen33 Sun 03-Jul-22 19:06:32

DH’s favourite. Cooked, cooled tender stem broccoli, uncooked spinach, lettuce, asparagus. Toasted pine nuts and almonds. Thin slices of cucumber. Other nuts and seeds and grilled halloumi.
Lovely

Caleo Sun 03-Jul-22 19:09:41

Chopped dessert apples with cheddar chopped into small pieces. Add mayonnaise to taste or not. Pepper.

Chopped cucumber and mint in yoghourt. Mint makes yog a lot more interesting.

mayisay Sun 03-Jul-22 19:26:47

One of my favourites is a courgette salad. Slice thickly, and fry gently with some crushed garlic until softened. Take off the heat, and add chopped mint, sultanas, and some crumbled feta cheese, salt and pepper. This salad is very tasty warm, or cold.

Jaxjacky Sun 03-Jul-22 19:43:59

I like adding grated celeriac into coleslaw.

Dinahmo Sun 03-Jul-22 19:46:57

Nicoise

Dinahmo Sun 03-Jul-22 19:48:25

mayisay

One of my favourites is a courgette salad. Slice thickly, and fry gently with some crushed garlic until softened. Take off the heat, and add chopped mint, sultanas, and some crumbled feta cheese, salt and pepper. This salad is very tasty warm, or cold.

With the courgettes finely sliced I have this
with pasta

25Avalon Sun 03-Jul-22 19:55:39

Pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, chopped walnuts are also good additions to any salad. Also use chive heads and pansy flowers for colour. Onions heads going to seed can also be sprinkled on.

Dizza25 Sun 03-Jul-22 22:11:43

Absolutely brilliant, thank you all so much for the ideas.

Skydancer Sun 03-Jul-22 22:28:27

Honestly my mouth is watering. Some delicious-sounding ideas on here.

Patsy70 Sun 03-Jul-22 22:29:05

Thank you for this Dizza25. I was thinking of asking the same question. I found a really good avocado salad recently when I googled.