Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian meals

(49 Posts)
Tizliz Sat 30-Jul-22 19:28:26

We have visitors in a couple of months who are vegetarian and I need to get trying out some new meals.

Tonight we had parsnip mash with caramelised onions and sage portobello mushrooms - very nice. I make a mean lentil loaf but that is it.

Need some new ideas, but I would prefer not to make meat substitutes like quorn sausages. And then there is breakfast and lunch! Help

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jul-22 19:35:43

Pasta with veggies

Roast cauliflower steak

Courgettie spaghetti

Mushroom stroganoff

Mixed bean cassoulet

Go on to the BBC Food website

Google Simon Rimmer recipes he has hundreds of veggie & vegan dishes the majority of which are easy peasey.

Witzend Sat 30-Jul-22 19:38:03

You can make a nice chilli con (non) carne, using red lentils and more kidney beans than usual.

Georgesgran Sat 30-Jul-22 20:47:25

DH often had veggies staying overnight - usual breakfasts of cereals, toast and preserves. Cooked was just without bacon/sausage - so mushrooms, tomato, hash browns, eggs in whatever style and baked beans. Good suggestions/recommendations from GG13 for other meals.

Grandmabatty Sat 30-Jul-22 20:51:36

Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Tart it up with sourdough bread and chili jam. Egg and cheese muffins.
For dinner, mushroom stroganoff, blue cheese and vegetable pies.
I know you have to be careful with cheese are some are not vegetarian friendly.

Grammaretto Sat 30-Jul-22 20:56:10

One of my favourites is sliced aubergine spread with pasta sauce and grated cheese, (I use a smoked cheese) baked until crispy.
I also like fried, spiced rice with cashew nuts. It's a Madhur Jaffrey recipe.
Enjoy your vegetarian visitors
I have been vegetarian for 35 years and am none the worse for it.
The only thing I don't eat is meat!grin

Baggs Sat 30-Jul-22 21:01:03

Your final sentence reminded me of something my youngest brother said when Mum told him he was too fussy an eater. He said: "That's not true. There are only two things I don't like: meat and vegetables."

Always a bit of a clever clogs he was ?

BlueBelle Sat 30-Jul-22 21:03:26

A lovely vegi stir fry my go to dinner with rice noodles or chips

BlueBalou Sat 30-Jul-22 21:06:33

Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall has a great cookery book call ‘Veg’, it’s full of fantastic recipes- you could look online for it?
My dd is vegetarian.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 30-Jul-22 21:09:37

When we had a veggie friend coming for dinner I just winged it and made up a version of a savoury plait. Used bought puff pastry and for filling down the middle I put cooked onion,garlic,peppers,mushrooms,herbs,cheese and a small amount of drained tinned tomatoes so it wasn’t too dry. It was very tasty if I say so myself!

Georgesgran Sat 30-Jul-22 21:13:07

That sounds very tasty Grandmadinosaur. Eggs Florentine is a good breakfast too and my very favourite (usually in Hotels) is smoked haddock topped with a poached egg.
The breakfast muffins are not only easy to make, but can go into a packed lunch, if you’re out and about.

StarDreamer Sat 30-Jul-22 21:14:42

Ratatouille and Oven chips.

This is nice > www.tilda.com/products/steamed-lemon-herb-basmati-rice/

eGJ Sat 30-Jul-22 21:14:55

A vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie substituting tinned lentils for meat and topped with sweet potatoes goes down a treat and can be frozen, so just needs overnight in the fridge and fresh grated vegetarian cheddar

Ali23 Sat 30-Jul-22 21:27:35

Halloumi burgers in baps with salad and fries or new potatoes, and halloumi spinach and chickpea curry are firm favourites here.

Ali23 Sat 30-Jul-22 21:28:33

Felafel is very easy to make too.

welbeck Sat 30-Jul-22 21:28:46

something with cous-cous, or a vegetable curry.
i assumed most people were at least semi-veggie nowadays.

M0nica Sat 30-Jul-22 21:44:19

Vegetable curries, there aare hundreds of different ones.

aubergine parmigiana

Mushroom and chestnut casserole

Esmay Sat 30-Jul-22 22:15:55

Vegetarian Lasagne :

Start by roasting cut up peppers ,courgettes ,whole mushrooms and tomatoes in a covered pan at 180 for about 45 minutes .You need a tiny bit of water or tomato juice to keep them from drying out whilst cooking .

Make a cheese sauce as you normally would , but you can use substitute milk and cheese . I like a touch of nutmeg in my cheese sauce .

Season the vegetables

Layer the roast vegetables with pasta and pour the sauce over as you create the layers ...

Sprinkle some extra cheese on top .

Cover and cook through for about 15 minutes .

I sometimes add chopped mixed nuts to the roast vegetables after cooking .

I used to make a classic meat lasagne until one day I made this for a vegetarian .

My kids tried it and abandoned the meat one and now prefer the vegetarian version even though two of them are meat eaters .

Elizabeth27 Sat 30-Jul-22 22:20:37

Pasta with pesto, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes for any meat eaters add crispy fried chopped bacon.

MawtheMerrier Sat 30-Jul-22 22:30:55

While not actually suggesting you buy a cookery book for this occasion, you could probably find inspiration by googling The Green Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer. Literally one dish vegan and vegetarian dinners.
One recipe which always impresses and is dead easy is this one, Miso Aubergines with Tofu, Sesame and Chilli

eGJ Sun 31-Jul-22 06:10:15

There are lots of vegetarian recipes here on Gransnet too!

NotAGran55 Sun 31-Jul-22 06:25:43

Breakfast / brunch / lunch

Pancakes with berries and yoghurt
Smashed avocado on toast with poached egg and chilli
Porridge with banana and almond flakes
Devilled mushrooms on toast
Welsh rarebit and salad
Frittata
Homemade soup and cheese scones
Pitta pockets with hummus and sprouting beans
Caesar salad with grilled haloumi and spiced salad topping

vegansrock Sun 31-Jul-22 07:03:01

No one one should be flummoxed by producing a few non meat meals these days- I’d recommend Bosh books for starters but they have a free online recipes too. Their black bean chilli is always a hit , serve with rice , tortilla chips and salad. Curries, pasta, tagine, stir fry etc easily made veggie. Breakfast is simple - cereals, porridge, berries, yoghurts , non dairy if they are dairy free but worth a try for anyone , almond or oat milk , toast etc. Lunches- sandwiches, salads , soups just don’t have meat!

Gongoozler Sun 31-Jul-22 07:55:21

Risotto is one of my favourites. You can make it with virtually anything.
Pasta dishes also lend themselves to infinite variety.
Delia Smith has some lovely vegetarian recipes and your local library will have loads of vegetarian cookery books.
Also, some people who claim to be vegetarians eat fish. Might be worth checking out

Madgran77 Sun 31-Jul-22 08:11:35

Easy stuffed mushroooms:

1 large portobello mushroom per person.
Remove Stalks and scrape out brown in side. Chop stalks finely, and mix with brown stuff scraped out. Add grated carrot, chopped cherry tomatoes, finely chopped onion and mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, herbs and seasoning to taste. Stuff mushroom with filling. Put in greased baking tray, drizzle a little oil on top and bake 25 mins.

You can sprinkle tops with cheddar to cook
Or add cubed feta yo tge filling
Or use merchant gourmet microwave grains as stuffing base, adding whatever you fancy.