Gransnet forums

Food

mayonaise, does anyone make their own?

(47 Posts)
bikergran Sun 14-Aug-22 08:38:54

We had a small buffet made last week for a birthday party.The buffet was from a local butchers (which I have never been to)

On the buffet there were some egg may sandwiches.
They were the best I have ever tasted(and we are egg mayo butty lovers)

The egg was chopped roughly, but the magic ingredient was the beautiful,creamy textured mayo. I did wonder if it was home made as I have tried penty of ready made ones.

I've looked at Gordon Ramseys home made recipe.

So any good home made mayo recipies out there ?

Greyduster Sun 14-Aug-22 08:48:03

Sorry I can’t help. Every time I’ve tried to make my own mayonnaise it has split, so I gave up on it. I now fall back on Hellmans. The best I ever tasted was from a little pop up shop in St David’s. The lady made it herself but wouldn’t impart the recipe! I love egg and cress mayo sandwiches.

Sago Sun 14-Aug-22 08:55:32

Place 2 egg yolks in your FP or a bowl, add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, whisk well.
Now slowly add 250ml of sunflower oil and 250ml olive oil while whisking, add a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar & the juice of half a lemon and whisk, now taste and add more vinegar/lemon juice if necessary.
I don’t season my mayo.
The mix of oils gives a lighter mayo than olive oil alone.
This will keep a week in a sealed,refrigerated jar.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Aug-22 08:57:36

No, afraid I don’t (make my own).

At the risk of sounding a bit common, sad or old fashioned, I admit to preferring salad cream, but I always have some (bought) mayo in stock.

Babs758 Sun 14-Aug-22 09:09:08

Important to have everything at room temperature including the eggs.

Joseanne Sun 14-Aug-22 09:19:29

Sago is right, the oil is the important part, ( I use groundnut by the way). You need to add it drop by drop from the tip of a teaspoon and mix constantly.

fairfraise Sun 14-Aug-22 09:19:43

I can't help but your post prompted me to put on an egg to boil and have an egg sandwich later! Haven't had one for ages.

Zonne Sun 14-Aug-22 09:27:20

Try adding a very small amount of salad cream - it’s amazing what a difference it makes.

Grandmabatty Sun 14-Aug-22 09:32:17

I have made my own using my food processor as it's easier to manage the oil. It never split and always tasted better than bought stuff. The recipe given up thread is a good one but most are ok.

Luckygirl3 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:03:20

Life is just too short ....! smile

Suspiros Sun 14-Aug-22 10:07:10

I make mayonnaise at least once a week and have done for 30 years. This is my recipe. I’ve never had it curdle, it works every time, takes 5 minutes and does away with all the mystique.

1 extra large whole egg straight from the fridge
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 heaped teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon French mustard from a jar
1 flat teaspoon salt
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Large pinch cayenne pepper
Sunflower oil

Put all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor and mix at the highest speed for about 20 seconds until thoroughly combined. Then with the motor still running pour the oil slowly in a very thin stream through the hole in the lid. The amount of oil depends on the size of the egg but you can tell when the mayonnaise is about ready as the the noise of the motor changes as the mixture becomes thick. If you’re unsure you can stop the machine and try it and add more oil ( with the machine running) if you want it thicker.
My family love this. My son covers every sandwich in it! The secret ingredient is the cayenne. It does not make the mayonnaise ‘hot’ but adds a depth of flavour. And using a whole egg means there’s no fiddly separating!

JackyB Sun 14-Aug-22 10:12:32

I often make my own. Don't use olive oil as it has a too strong and sometimes bitter taste.

I have also very successfully made some without eggs. Will look out those recipes and post them here.

A stick blender in a wide mug is ideal for making small (one egg) amounts, as it doesn't keep well - ideally should be eaten immediately.

Also oil and eggs should both be at the same temperature. I would say room temperature but at the moment with these high temps that might be a bit risky.

kircubbin2000 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:15:27

Eggs don't need to be kept in the fridge.

Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 10:23:33

No, and an ultra ‘foodie’ BiL who insisted on making some for my potato salad put me right off it. It was for a big alfresco party at another BiL’s holiday home, and the ‘foodie’ one had a fit when I said I was going to the shop for mayonnaise. You’d have thought I was proposing to lace it with arsenic!

I don’t know what he did or didn’t do, but it was just oily and tasteless, and whereas my potato salad (lemon juice, salt, pepper and chives added to the mayo) almost invariably vanishes, at least half of this lot was left, and I can’t say I was surprised.

choughdancer Sun 14-Aug-22 10:25:23

I thought I would have to give up making my own when I became vegan, but with the magic of aquafaba (the liquid from an unsalted can of chickpeas, beans etc.) I'm back to making it again. I've never been keen on bought mayonnaise.

PollyDolly Sun 14-Aug-22 10:30:33

I prefer mayonnaise to salad cream although I don't eat much. so it's not worth me making my own.

Going off on a tangent, I recall the salad cream we had at junior school - 1961 to 1965 - it was amazing and I've never tasted anything like it since. It was also, apparently, homemade but I've never been able to track down the recipe.

shysal Sun 14-Aug-22 10:43:29

I make one minute mayo using a stick blender in a narrow jar or glass:

1 whole egg (first in pot)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper (optional)
1 cup flavourless oil
juice 1/2 a lemon

Place all in narrow container and use stick blender starting at the bottom and working up.

There are lots of similar one minute recipe videos on line with variations on the ingredients, but using the same technique.

Fleurpepper Sun 14-Aug-22 10:51:29

yes, always make my own- nothing simpler and it takes just minutes. Then you can flavour with different things, garlic, herbs, curry, ketchup, etc.

maddyone Sun 14-Aug-22 10:52:51

Luckygirl3

Life is just too short ....! smile

Yes. Plus I thought we weren’t advised to eat uncooked eggs.

Mamie Sun 14-Aug-22 10:56:07

I make mine. Have oil and eggs at room temperature. For two people I do one egg to 1/4 pint of olive oil. Put egg yolk(s) in bowl and whisk gently by hand with a small balloon whisk. Add oil a drop at a time continuing to whisk gently. You can increase the oil as the liaison forms. About halfway through add a teaspoon of white wine vinegar (or lemon juice) and continue whisking in oil. Taste and adjust vinegar,salt and pepper.
For aioli I crush the garlic with salt and add the egg yolk before proceding as above.
Like hollandaise and béarnaise you have to develop an eye for a liaison starting to split, slow down and whisk more.
The only time it splits for me is when kitchen is cold or I am in a bad temper. ?

lixy Sun 14-Aug-22 10:56:52

I don't make my own since daughter has a reaction to raw egg when a child, and I've avoided all recipes with it in since. The aquafaba version sounds interesting choughdancer.

Hellman's with the addition of chives or lemon zest works well for us.

Fleurpepper Sun 14-Aug-22 10:56:59

Get your eggs from a reliable source- and of course be careful if you have health issues. But otherwise- as said, it takes minutes (I only us the yolk) and the taste is totally worth it. Plus you know what is in it- no palm oil, no chemicals, etc.

shysal Sun 14-Aug-22 10:58:31

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ONE+MINUTE+MAYO&&view=detail&mid=187BA4FCA53F16563327187BA4FCA53F16563327&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DONE%2520MINUTE%2520MAYO%26go%3DSearch%26qs%3Dds%26FORM%3DVDVVXX

Joseanne Sun 14-Aug-22 11:01:18

Now, a word with you who think life's too short.grin

Is life too short to paint a picture, to knit a jumper, to pot some seeds, to sing a song, to read a book, or to make mayonnaise?
They're all enjoyable, educational, productive, shareable activities. Chacun à son goût, as they say!
(Says she, filling the car with bottles of mayo to bring home from France.)

Fleurpepper Sun 14-Aug-22 11:04:55

Bought mayo uses tons of battery eggs, preservatives, and oil from unknown sources, possibly palm oil, and lots of sugar. This makes it worth taking the couple of minutes to make your own.