Gransnet forums

Food

smallest Ninja cooker - a question

(8 Posts)
Nannarose Fri 23-Sep-22 14:47:22

I know that a lot of you have these or similar. We are thinking of getting the smallest option.
I have both a slow cooker and a rice cooker - both very old but functioning well. They are great when cooking for larger numbers, but neither will cook just 2 portions of porridge or rice well.
I love my steam oven, which cooks them perfectly, but am aware of how much energy it uses, and there are various other reasons we might use a Ninja sometimes. But 4.7 litres sounds too large for 2 portions.
Any advice around this very gratefully accepted - many thanks

B9exchange Fri 23-Sep-22 14:52:14

You can cook whatever size you need in a glass bowl in the Ninja? smile

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Sep-22 15:30:33

I cook my porridge overnight (timed for about 7 hours) in a covered glass bowl in the slow cooker. I put a bit of water in the bottom of the slow cooker but I don't know if it needs it or not. Only works with pin head oats though. Steel cut oats would need a lot less time.

Blondiescot Fri 23-Sep-22 15:39:29

I have the larger 9-in-1 model and although there is normally just the two of us, I usually cook larger quantities and freeze the rest. As others have said though, you can cook smaller amounts by just using a smaller dish within the main pot.

Nannarose Fri 23-Sep-22 16:22:52

Thank you! Once you had said that, it seemed obvious!
I do a lot of batch cooking, but am used to my oven and hob, both of which will cook very slowly. Will investigate further, but am very grateful.
As I always heat the Xmas pudding in the slow cooker with some boiling water in it, I don't know why it never occurred to me to use a smaller bowl for porridge!
However, I am not sure if it would work in the rice cooker . It's an ancient model bought in the Middle East about 40 years ago (not by me!) and DH wired in a 3pin plug. I used it often and for years to make lovely rice for our family, and still use it for a crowd.
Anyway, thank you for kindly stating the b$££@!^g obvious - this is my reason for saying 'there is no such thing as a stupid question'.......

Blondiescot Fri 23-Sep-22 16:28:25

Well, I wouldn't have known you could cook with a smaller pot inside the main pot if I hadn't joined various Ninja forums on Facebook, where I've learned some very useful hints and advice on how to get the most of using them. Stupid questions are only 'stupid' if you already know the answer.

Nannashirlz Sat 24-Sep-22 16:08:48

I’ve also got the big ninja and I live alone but the way I looked at it if family came to visit I could cook for them too. But when I’m on my own I have some small ovenproof bowls so cook a few things at same time ninja got a lot of recipes on their site plus YouTube

Nannashirlz Sat 24-Sep-22 16:12:27

Nannashirlz

I’ve also got the big ninja and I live alone but the way I looked at it if family came to visit I could cook for them too. But when I’m on my own I have some small ovenproof bowls so cook a few things at same time ninja got a lot of recipes on their site plus YouTube

I’ve also got ninja soup maker and ninja kettle cost me 18p to do full Sunday dinner for one with chicken veg roasties and homemade yorkies